Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Horsemeat lasagne

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,852 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

One argument I simply don't understand is how it is ok for a meat eater to eat beef, pork and chicken but not horses. If you make the decision to eat meat then surely, welfare issues aside, it shouldn't matter what meat you eat.
Fides invicta triumphat

#22 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

So it turns out horse tastes like beef

How do you deduce that? My (admittedly very limited) experience of eating ready made frozen meals would suggest that they don't tend to taste of anything, so even if it had contained beef, I doubt you'd have been able to tell. :lol:

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#23 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

One argument I simply don't understand is how it is ok for a meat eater to eat beef, pork and chicken but not horses. If you make the decision to eat meat then surely, welfare issues aside, it shouldn't matter what meat you eat.

To me, the issue is that a foreign foodstuff has got into hte food chain, rather than what it is. If it's supposed to be beef, it should be beef. Horse I'd have no objection to eating, but through choice and knowledge of what it is, not because someone somewhere is trying to save a few bob without telling me.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#24 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

How do you deduce that? My (admittedly very limited) experience of eating ready made frozen meals would suggest that they don't tend to taste of anything, so even if it had contained beef, I doubt you'd have been able to tell. :lol:

Quite.

So it seems that horsemeat tastes as good as anything else and is cheap.

Will be looking out for more of it.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#25 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Quite.

So it seems that horsemeat tastes as good as anything else and is cheap.

Will be looking out for more of it.

My wife has eaten horse in France, and said it was quite nice. She won't let me cook hers though so I can try it. :rolleyes: :D

Please view my photos.

#26 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Don't think that's the actual point Sev. If it says Beef Lasagne on it, it shouldn't be 100% Horse! :o

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#27 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,365 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

The concern is that, as this horse meat has been introduced illicitly into various suppliers' product, there's no quality/safety guarantee. Because of that, I'd regard with even more suspicion than I would the meat on offer at a dodgy kebab shop.

I'd guess that eating horse that has been raised under guaranteed food-standard conditions, as they do in France, poses little or no problem for a lot of people.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#28 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

It's nice to know what you are eating. I don't have a problem with horse meat but if it had been dog meat that would be different. Yeah I know it's not logical.

I do appreciate about the labelling and lack of honesty. I really do. But the outrage seems to be off the scale for just that.

At least Pot Noodle beef is open that it's suitable for vegetarians.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#29 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

My local butcher sells Kangeroo burgers and steaks, I was looking forward to getting some next week when my GF goes away, just so we can claim to have given the Kangeroos a good roasting, but after the drug scandle that has his Australia this week, I think I'll stick with Findus Lasagne
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#30 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,365 posts

Now, if anyone can point me in the direction of a UK supplier of moose meat, that'd be extremely fine and dandy!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#31 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

I can think of people I know who won't give a toss about this news. As long as the price is low, that will do for them. Same with dodgy takeaways.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#32 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Now, if anyone can point me in the direction of a UK supplier of moose meat, that'd be extremely fine and dandy!

http://www.exoticmeats.co.uk/elk-meat.html
This company supplied the meat for our xmas lunch.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 08 February 2013 - 02:01 PM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#33 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,022 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

The concern is that, as this horse meat has been introduced illicitly into various suppliers' product, there's no quality/safety guarantee. Because of that, I'd regard with even more suspicion than I would the meat on offer at a dodgy kebab shop.

I'd guess that eating horse that has been raised under guaranteed food-standard conditions, as they do in France, poses little or no problem for a lot of people.

some issue with the potential for phenylbutazone contamination. The company responsible for the current transgression is in France.

#34 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,365 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

http://www.exoticmea...k/elk-meat.html
This company supplied the meat for our xmas lunch.

Should have thought to search 'elk' as well as 'moose'. I once had some moose salami that was just unbelievably tasty.

#35 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Someone once found a 'mouse' in their Chinese takeaway near me if that's any use?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#36 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,843 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

it's a labelling thing. If you don't say that there is horse in it then you are offside.

Also if horses aren't bred or slaughtered for human consumption there are health issues-eg medications in the bloodstream, hygiene in the abbattoir etc.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 08 February 2013 - 02:18 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#37 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,843 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

sorry mate didn't see your post
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#38 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

At least Pot Noodle beef is open that it's suitable for vegetarians.

Are you sure? :blink:

http://www.halifaxco...t-her-1-5378118

Please view my photos.

#39 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,852 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

it's a labelling thing. If you don't say that there is horse in it then you are offside.

Also if horses aren't bred or slaughtered for human consumption there are health issues-eg medications in the bloodstream, hygiene in the abbattoir etc.

Oh yes I agree entirely.
Fides invicta triumphat

#40 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

It shows up in a few farm shops, I can't quite remember where I got mine from, it was only a couple of frozen steak. Oo wait. Whichever Lidl or Aldi is on Halifax Rd in Bradford!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users