Horsemeat lasagne

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#61 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

There is obviously the issue of passing Horsemeat of as beef. But I presume these products sold well and people don't mind eating it, then why after all this has blow over don't they just re label the stuff .

Oh of course that would mean the (innocent) companies involved would have to drop the price reducing their mark up- silly me

#62 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,029 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Stuff about the horses maybe having medical chemicals in the papers.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#63 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

Horses not breed/kept for human consumption can be given things like 'Bute' which by all accounts isn't to healthy to eat.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#64 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,029 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

We'd have to consult a doctor, although not Dr Koukash obviously, I'm surprised the media aren't blaming RL... coincedence? I think not!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#65 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

False advertising aside, I don;t see the issue. Horse meat is really tasty.

#66 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

There is obviously the issue of passing Horsemeat of as beef. But I presume these products sold well and people don't mind eating it, then why after all this has blow over don't they just re label the stuff .

How come the retailers are not being nailed to the wall by Trading Standards over this?

They get all pious about how careful and wonderful they are about quality until something hits the fan and then its nothing to do with them.

Also have you read the back of the Findus box where it goes on about "Our chefs etc." Hypocrisy like this should be challenged.

The publicity would make sure we get what we pay for.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#67 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,998 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

The issue is not how nice or otherwise Horsemeat is to eat, the issue is that food that says it contains substance "A" is found to contain substance "B"
The concern from this is that it could equally well contain substances X,Y and Z as well.
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#68 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

How come the retailers are not being nailed to the wall by Trading Standards over this?

It seems to me that's what Morrisons were trying to do to their competitors yesterday.

LUNEW.jpg

#69 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Yes, but it has no place in BEEF lasagne. The "advertising" or trading standards issues cannot be put "aside", it IS the issue.

LUNEW.jpg

#70 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,764 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Yes, but it has no place in BEEF lasagne. The "advertising" or trading standards issues cannot be put "aside", it IS the issue.

Would it be as big of an issue if it was lamb instead of horse meat?
Fides invicta triumphat

#71 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,998 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Yes.
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#72 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Absolutely; the problem is not that it is horse, the problem is it's NOT beef even though that is what the packet says it what it contains. Also, the allegation now is that it was not only horse when it was supposed to be beef, it was horse that was not destined to be in the food chain and therefore possibly not in a fit condition to eat.

I would have no objection whatsoever to KNOWINGLY eating horse intended for human consumption.

It also begs the question if they can't vouch for the provenance of the meat what about the quality of the other ingredients and hygiene standards?
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#73 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

It also begs the question if they can't vouch for the provenance of the meat what about the quality of the other ingredients and hygiene standards?

I think the question of provenance is a tricky one. In the end, we rely on trust. If we cannot trust the people involved in the food production chain, we cannot rely on any of the various certificates. (This applies to every situation where bits of paper are taken as proof - education, the NHS, the law, tax, etc.) As a scientist, I know the difference between a real proof and a mere claim.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#74 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

An issue yes. Front page news? No.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#75 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,378 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

False advertising aside, I don;t see the issue.

That's the issue.

That and the small matter of consequent health risks.

#76 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

We'd have to consult a doctor, although not Dr Koukash obviously, I'm surprised the media aren't blaming RL... coincedence? I think not!

Not RL but Spanghero the meat processor at the centre of all this was founded in -1970 by Claude and Laurent Spanghero two former French RU internationals.

Expect the cone of silence soon

#77 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,029 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Not RL but Spanghero the meat processor at the centre of all this was founded in -1970 by Claude and Laurent Spanghero two former French RU internationals.

Expect the cone of silence soon

Boooooooooooo.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#78 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Absolutely; the problem is not that it is horse, the problem is it's NOT beef even though that is what the packet says it what it contains. Also, the allegation now is that it was not only horse when it was supposed to be beef, it was horse that was not destined to be in the food chain and therefore possibly not in a fit condition to eat.

I would have no objection whatsoever to KNOWINGLY eating horse intended for human consumption.

Therein lies the issue for me. Horse, goldfish or whatever, doesn't matter. The simple fact there is no chain of custody, nor knowledge of what is in the actual product is why the FSA should come down on the manufacturers, very hard.

#79 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

I've no objection to eating horse meat. I'm old enough to remember there being a horse meat butchers on Kirkgate in Leeds. What I object to that they passed this stuff off as beef. What else is in meat ready meals that we don't know about. There was an item the other week saying that in the future we'll all have to get our protein from insects. How do we know we aren't already?

Edited by Trojan, 10 February 2013 - 05:54 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#80 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,764 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

I've no objection to eating horse meat. I'm old enough to remember there being a horse meat butchers on Kirkgate in Leeds. What I object to that they passed this stuff off as beef. What else is in meat ready meals that we don't know about. There was an item the other week saying that in the future we'll all have to get our protein from insects. How do we know we aren't already?

I probably wouldn't mind that but I would like to be told. Hopefully the outcome from this will be that as a society we become more aware of what is in the food we buy, how it is produced, where it is produced and have an idea in what conditions the animals lived and died in.
Fides invicta triumphat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users