TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

RFL statement on Kylie Leuluai

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Not sure I'd agree with that view, to be honest. It seems to me to suggest that they are entirely comfortable with how DR is being used. Contrary to the view that using Wood, Mccarthy, Leuluai, Moore, Gardner etc... is against the spirit of the DR system and not what it was intended for, the fact the the RFL has been lobbying UKBA to allow quota players to be involved suggests to me that this is exactly what those who designed and implemented it wanted and envisaged.

I'd agree as well.
This sounds like the RFL knew how it woudl pan out.
There has not been a single word about playing Wood and Leuluai that may be against the spirit of the arrangements, but going public to try and get UKBA regulations onside says a lot to me.

#22 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,058 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

My little joke about Leeds buying up Hunslet fell a bit flat then :(

You thought it was a joke, Parky, but I think it could actually happen. Leeds would have absolutely total control over who plays for Hunslet and when, Border control permitting.

#23 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

You thought it was a joke, Parky, but I think it could actually happen. Leeds would have absolutely total control over who plays for Hunslet and when, Border control permitting.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#24 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

I'm not convinced this is against the spirit of the setup.

Whilst I am surprised to see some relatively big names being involved the fact is that this system is basically the replacement for the Academy team, and that team allowed for older players to regain fitness. Paul Wood for example would have played in the Academy at Warrington if we had it to get a game - it was scrapped and they have been forced down this route.

I understand people being outraged by the whole thing, but I'm not sure why there is such outrage about older players being used in the system. The Academy allowed for older players, this is the replacement system that clubs have signed up for - players need somewhere to play.

The fact is though, that just like the old Academy system, the vast majority of players will be youth players.

#25 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

Perhaps I'm slow on the uptake, but

- Kylie Leuluai is a Leeds-registered player and his paid a wage by the Leeds Rhinos.
- Why can't he play for Hunslet as an unpaid player?
- If he has a right to be in the country, how can anyone stop him playing amateur sport?

Because he would be replacing a UK citizen in their own job and preventing them from making a living.

Also, on the right to live here issue - he does not have a right to live here and work anywhere, he has the right to live here and work for Leeds Rhinos. The 2 things are completely different.

If a player changes employment then he needs a new visa through the new employer, as per the Rangi Chase saga.

#26 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

I understand people being outraged by the whole thing.....

I think we have two outraged scenarios.

1. Outrage that one own club has given up independance signalling the end of any ambition to be a top division side.

2. Outrage that the system may allow "A" teams of SL clubs to elbow independant clubs off the top of the Superleague waiting list.

#27 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

I loved this sport. The unity, the comradery, the dreams, the excitement.
I now hate what it is becoming. I fully agree with young DC's taking the step up before SL as a mutually beneficial situation, but this situation is shocking. Can you imagine soccer introducing it.
There is a comp to compete in, prize money to be won, glory to be achieved and fixtures to market. You can't operate a semi pro, competitive league in this way.

Edited by sweaty craiq, 08 February 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#28 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

This whole arrangement sghould never had been more than 3 to 4 players on dual reg, who had to be under 21-23 (insert suitable age here not chuffin 34) years of age.
If the SL clubs are a) so skint that they can't afford to run a proper reserve and academy system and B) that when they do its not fit for purpose as they have to rely on a lower division to shore up the standard, then that says a lot about what they have been doing for the past 15 years. Diverting monies into offshore funds for average imports springs to mind.

#29 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

It would appear Fax are the first club to break rank and formally comment on the situation.

http://www.halifaxrl...le.php?id=10483

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#30 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,058 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

It would appear Fax are the first club to break rank and formally comment on the situation.

http://www.halifaxrl...le.php?id=10483

Good for Fax. At least this is coming from a club abd can't be rubbished as the ravings of a demented supporter.

#31 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

The reason that people, mainly Championship club fans, are outraged is because this was a Super League decision to do away with their Under 18's and Under 20's teams and extend the dual registration of players to Championship clubs, which was allowed by the RFL. The SL clubs decision was reached and before even the Championship clubs had met to discuss the system, Leeds had announced a link up with Hunslet. From there it was mission accomplished and other clubs followed suit.

Fans at Championship clubs were never consulted or indeed kept informed as to what was happening. I personally wrote to the RFL trying to find out what rules there was to govern these link ups because certain clubs were getting more benefits than other clubs in the same league and I questioned how the integrity of the competition was not affected.

The main response was that this was an ongoing process which was being monitored by the RFL, or as I read it, we're making the rules up as we go along. I would suggest that all the Championship club Chairmen, seek the views of their own fans and have this subject raised at the RFL meeting. I congratulate the Halifax Chairman and club for their statement today and maybe, just maybe, the CEO of the RFL might now get interested.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#32 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

And what exactly is this based on? :wacko:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#33 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Having just re-read the OP, I assume it's a verbatim reproduction of the official RFL press release?

Are my eyes deceiving me or have the RFL really just used their own press release as a means of labelling the championships as a platform to enable SL players to 'gain match fitness'? No wonder it took a while to secure a sponsor if that was the sales pitch :(

#34 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

If everyone could please refer to the Championship as the Kingstone Press Championship then the main title sponsors will have had more publicity in a week than Co-Op got in a year last year!

As an aside, I dont agree with the DR set up as it is being used. For young players on longer term deals then fine, but not for seasoned players to get fit. Think its disrespectful to the players being ousted by an SL player just turning up on the day!

#35 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

Having just re-read the OP, I assume it's a verbatim reproduction of the official RFL press release?

Are my eyes deceiving me or have the RFL really just used their own press release as a means of labelling the championships as a platform to enable SL players to 'gain match fitness'? No wonder it took a while to secure a sponsor if that was the sales pitch :(

Yep, The truth is officially out now

#36 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Yep, The truth is officially out now

If that's the way the RFL are taking the championships then I hope they don't lead clubs on with the hope of SL when In reality they have all the "Super" teams they need. Clubs can slash their wage bill to next to nothing, can reduce entrance fees to a figure that suites the league. I won't be paying between £15 and £18 to watch a game in a league that is merely run for the benefit of SL teams.

#37 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,058 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

And what exactly is this based on? :wacko:

It's just based on my intuition. Hetherington is set on creating a Rugby Company, hence the Leeds Rugby company encompassing the Rhinos and the RU team.

Leeds need an A team, another ground at their disposal for both branches of Leeds Rugby and thus the link up with Hunslet. However Hunslet still have a little bit of independence and this hiccup with the Luelulai registration is another problem.

I think it would suit Hetherington's Corporate ambitions if he could acquire the Hunslet club as a wholly owned subsidiary of Leeds Rugby. They could then totally dictate player arrangements, ground availabilty needs, claim the RFL CC money for themselves, and maybe argue with the Border control people that foreign work permit players should be able to play for Hunslet as the club is just another corporate division of Leeds Rugby to whom the player is contracted and whose work permit is dependent upon.

Just another wild theory for you to dump on. Maybe , maybe not.

It would be a perfect fit for the Leeds Rugby people and I wouild think Hunslet could be picked up for a song.

#38 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 667 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

I'm not convinced this is against the spirit of the setup.

Whilst I am surprised to see some relatively big names being involved the fact is that this system is basically the replacement for the Academy team, and that team allowed for older players to regain fitness. Paul Wood for example would have played in the Academy at Warrington if we had it to get a game - it was scrapped and they have been forced down this route.

I understand people being outraged by the whole thing, but I'm not sure why there is such outrage about older players being used in the system. The Academy allowed for older players, this is the replacement system that clubs have signed up for - players need somewhere to play.

The fact is though, that just like the old Academy system, the vast majority of players will be youth players.

Out of interest did Warrington oppose the scrapping of the 18's & 20's? If not can you say they were forced into this situation?

True the Acadamy had provision for older players to play. That though was at the expense of a player on their clubs payroll rather than pushing a Championship player onto the sidelines. A big difference in my opinion

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#39 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Out of interest did Warrington oppose the scrapping of the 18's & 20's? If not can you say they were forced into this situation?

True the Acadamy had provision for older players to play. That though was at the expense of a player on their clubs payroll rather than pushing a Championship player onto the sidelines. A big difference in my opinion

Yes - Warrington did oppose these changes.

#40 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 667 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Yes - Warrington did oppose these changes.

Fair enough Dave, obviously one of the few SL clubs to have the best interests of the game at heart.

You say "clubs signed up for this arrangement". I assume you mean SL clubs as most Championship clubs were rail-roaded down the Dual Registration system.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users