TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Oldham player suspended for six months

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

UK Anti-Doping have suspended Oldham Rugby League player David Cookson for six months after he was found guilty of breaching the RFL’s anti-doping regulations.

Cookson was found to have provided a sample containing the stimulant methylhexaneamine, a Specified Substance on the WADA Prohibited List which means that it is susceptible to inadvertent use.

Cookson’s suspension began on August 31, 2012 and ends on February 28, 2013.

The RFL advise all players to be aware of methylhexaneamine, which has been the cause of a number of positive tests throughout the world. Methylhexaneamine is commonly referred to by a number of alternative names including, but not limited to, forthan, forthane, floradrene, geranamine, dimethylamylamine, DMAA, dimethylpentylamine, 1,3-dimethylamylamine or geranium oil.

All players are advised to assess the risk associated with supplements, and to take steps to minimise the risk. Players are encouraged to use a risk minimisation tool such as www.informedsport.com
-ends-

John Ledger
Communications Manager

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

drank a "monster energy drink" ....banned for 6 months

ORLFC statement..

OLDHAM RLFC has announced that David Cookson is serving a six-month suspension following an inadvertent doping breach last season.[/size]
The 24-year-old centre provided a sample containing the stimulant Methylhexaneamine, a Specified Substance on the WADA Prohibited List which means it is susceptible to inadvertent use.

The suspension expires on February 28, 2013 and reflects the view that Cookson did not intend to enhance his performance by the use of a supplement containing Methylhexaneamine.

The supplement was part of an energy drink which is permitted to be taken on all days except game days. It was accepted that Cookson did not take the supplement on the day of the match but the substance was still present in his sample on the day of the match.

Cookson said: “I broke the rule and I take the punishment on the chin. UK Anti-Doping and the RFL both accepted that I was NOT trying to enhance my performance and that this was an inadvertent error on my part.

“I would like to publicly thank the Oldham club, its chairman Chris Hamilton and my Barrister Daniel Saoul for their support throughout this process.

“It will soon be behind me, and I will then be able to focus on the challenges of the new Championship One season that lies ahead.”

Oldham Chairman Chris Hamilton commented: “Club policy dictates that we do not condone any breach of doping regulations.

“In this case, however, we supported the player because we recognised that it was not an intentional breach and it was not performance enhancing. All players need to be careful about the use of supplements and we will be making sure all of our players are aware of the risks.]

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 657 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

DMMA is the same stimulant blamed in the death of Claire squires in last years London marathon. It was found in a number of energy drinks but I think it is now banned.

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,876 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

This story made it onto the Radio 5 sports news. An Oldham player. Possibly the first time radio 5 has even mentioned that RL was played in Oldham.

Funny how the game becomes newsworthy all of a sudden.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

RL was played in Oldham? Really? :rolleyes:

​Still, the clubs position seems fair, right and proper so well done to them

What surprises me, across all sports, is the number of times these "inadvertent" beaches seem to occur. You'd think by now that players athletes, trainers, managers doctors etc would be hypersensitive to the possibilities that a cold cure or a supplement or energy drink might not be safe from a testing point of view.

#6 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

Long ban, but given that Oldham don't start their season until March, he'll only have missed the last 2 games of last season. Pretty meaningless penalty.

#7 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 657 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Long ban, but given that Oldham don't start their season until March, he'll only have missed the last 2 games of last season. Pretty meaningless penalty.

True, however he hasn't been allowed to train at the club or with the rest of the team. So it will take him longer to get back in.

#8 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Don't underestimate how difficult it is to keep on the right side of the rules. The kid doesn't look like he had any intention of breaking them and he's been unlucky.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#9 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

This story made it onto the Radio 5 sports news. An Oldham player. Possibly the first time radio 5 has even mentioned that RL was played in Oldham.

Funny how the game becomes newsworthy all of a sudden.

we've made the 5live sports news plenty of times........normally cos we don't pay the taxman :lol:

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users