Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Super League - Championship link ups - Will they be good for us?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Here's a rough overview of the link ups......along with sarcastic names - no offense intended.

1 Bradford Bulls with Dewsbury Rams = DEWSBURY BULLS
2 Castleford Tigers with Keighley = KEIGHLEY TIGERS
3 Catalan Dragons with St. Esteve = ST ESTEVE DRAGONS
4 Huddersfield Giants with Batley = BATLEY GIANTS
5 Hull FC with York = NO NAME BUT BASICALLY HULLS' A TEAM (MAYBE YORK SHARKS :D)
6 Hull K R with Workington Town = WORKINGTON ROBINS
7 Leeds Rhinos with Hunslet = HUNSLET RHINOS
8 London Broncos with London Skolars = BOTH CLUBS HAVE A LOW PROFILE SO PROBABLY A GOOD IDEA IN LONDON
9 Salford City Reds with Oldham = OLDHAM REDS
10 St Helens with Whitehaven = WHITEHAVEN SAINTS
11 Wakefield Trinity with Doncaster = DONCASTER TRINITY
12 Warrington Wolves with Swinton Lions = SWINTON WOLVES
13 Widnes Vikings with Workington Town = WORKINGTON VIKINGS
14 Wigan Warriors with South Wales Scorpions = SOUTH WALES WARRIORS

Depressing really.......only Featherstone, Leigh, Halifax and Sheffield and a couple of others choosing to exist in their own right.
Supporters of these 4 teams should be proud of what they are doing cos it won't be cheap or easy to continue to go it alone.

However i personally think becoming a super league A team/feeder club (which i believe this will eventually lead to, means you have no chance of ever becoming a top flight professional team.)

This surely will create a huge gap between fev and other clubs who exist in there own right and the rest.

If, as other people have mentioned, if we end up having a 2 tier super league of 10 teams it should in theory be very easy to find the extra 6 teams that will be needed as everyone else would have a conflict of interest in terms of playing squad.

TEAMROVERS_small.jpg

#2 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Hasn't leigh got some understanding with Wigan? I know its not a link up as such. Also the eagles are linked with a French club so in theory there is only 3. Us ,fax and barrow.Also I'm very proud of our club for not becoming a feeder team I'm sure we will benefit from it more than the link up clubs do in the future.c@s will be our feeder club in 2015😉

Edited by thundergaz, 08 February 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#3 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Its easy when you have plenty money making up the shortfall

Its a shame you mock clubs and take such an aloof attitude it may bite you in the ass eventually. Like What happens if you dont get in super league how long will the subsidies last then?

I used to like Fev, now they come across as some type of superiority complex, shame really

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#4 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Its a shame you mock clubs and take such an aloof attitude it may bite you in the ass eventually. Like What happens if you dont get in super league how long will the subsidies last then?

I used to like Fev, now they come across as some type of superiority complex, shame really

To be honest I don't think it was meant to mock. I think more of a concern for the clubs who are linked and the game in general. Everyone understands why the teams have linked up. It's more of where the link ups will lead than a mockery of the link up clubs.( I could be wrong but that's my theory on the situation).

#5 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

No, the money probably won't last forever if we remain where we are, same as it didn't with your lot, but who knows? If/when it does I hope whoever is on the BOD at that time continue to keep the club independent even if that means playing at the lowest level. TBH if Fev ever go down the 'twinned' route that'd be me (and I suspect many more) done with them. I wouldn't cross the road to watch a SL reserve game never mind pay for the privilege.

#6 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

I'm not mocking anyone.........i'm simply mocking the system as i see it.

If this is another experiment that quickly goes away and certain clubs receive a short term gain than fair enough.

If in a couple of years the championship is a super league reserve competition in all but name that will be a sad day.

Also...... Featherstone are well backed and i'm happy for that........but they are also an extremely well run club...by both paid and unpaid volunteers who work very hard for our success.......it's not all about money.

TEAMROVERS_small.jpg

#7 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Piggy the clubs that have linked up with SL clubs to be come feeders have effectively sold their souls. In my view they are not really RL clubs any more, but a shop front. I too am proud of the teams that have not chosen this route and are a tribute to the real spirit of this game.

No one comes across as superior etc, complete ###### get a grip.

Can you not see what has happened? We now have a league above ofus that play nothing but friendlies until the last 2 months of the season and our league is just one big training session for over 3/4 of the teams. Crapola, no heart, soul, pride or passion for a lot of players.

Well see how long it lasts and how many supporters turn up to watch the teams in alligence with SL.

If Featherstone had opted along this path, I would not be watching RL ever again and I bet 90% of the other supporters would walk away also. There would be on Featherstone Rovers of that I am sure.
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#8 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Workington are not in any link with HKR, I think Gateshead have that dubious pleasure.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#9 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

All your history gone to save Huddersfield 100k.

Cummins Out.

#10 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

It's not just us that are concerned:
http://www.halifaxrl...le.php?id=10483

#11 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

It's not just us that are concerned:
http://www.halifaxrl...le.php?id=10483

He's absolutely spot on. Hopefully the other non twinned clubs will put out similar statements - and a few from twinned clubs would be even better.

#12 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,710 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Keighley with Cas and Sheffield with French team (is it Limoux or Lezignan). Number 6 on the list was last season when we had 1 player from HKR.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#13 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

No, the money probably won't last forever if we remain where we are, same as it didn't with your lot, but who knows? If/when it does I hope whoever is on the BOD at that time continue to keep the club independent even if that means playing at the lowest level. TBH if Fev ever go down the 'twinned' route that'd be me (and I suspect many more) done with them. I wouldn't cross the road to watch a SL reserve game never mind pay for the privilege.

I would be finished with the game too les. If it wasn't for Fev rovers I would of stopped watching RL at least 10 years ago. So if their is no Fev rovers and we become a feeder club that will be me done with this once great sport. Now its just a circus of a sport that the RFL like to play with all the time.

#14 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

If fans of other clubs dont like seeing their teams being called Bradford Ressies etc, then have a word with your clubs board.

Cummins Out.

#15 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,504 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

Keighley with Cas and Sheffield with French team (is it Limoux or Lezignan).

It's Limoux. But is this a thread about "link-ups" or Dual Registration? There'll be no DR between Sheffield and Limoux, it's not permitted (but - hey - who knows what might happen next month ?).

The danger with DR - apart from the question of integrity of the competition - is that, say, Hunslet's own supporters may well decide that Hunslet is no longer Hunslet whilst Leeds Rhinos don't see Hunslet as Rhinos Reserves. Crowds dwindle and, rather than saving the club from extinction, it hastens the end.

That is, of course, unless Leeds Rhinos pick up the cost and run their Reserve team at Hunslet. In which case there's no cost saving for the Rhinos and we're back where we started. Except there's no Hunslet, obviously.

Edited by Griff, 09 February 2013 - 10:10 AM.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#16 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

one absolute farce and a total mockery of the sport. Who will support these championship feeder clubs ? will the SL club pay the wages eventually for their feeer club because the Championship club wont be able to with no supporters. Why would a Swnton, York or Dewsbury fan pay good money to watch a SL second team. At Featherstone we are desperately trying to increase crowds to tick the last box for SL entry, how would we encourage new supporters to come and watch a SL second team, they would laugh in our faces.

There is also the issue of awat support, who will want to travel and waste all their hard earned income to watch a team that is different each week and that dont even care if they win or lose. Fev currently take 800 plus to away games , that would drop to around 100 if we didnt have the pride and passion for OUR players, This has to be sorted before any clubs go under and disappear forever. Drastic words I know but that is my honest opinion and I dont see any good for the Championship in this system.
Get your vote cast on the main forum and let the RFL and RL world know your thoughts before they KILL the game
Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#17 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

The dilemma I'm having is I'm totally against the DR system. But I want to watch my team so if I pay to watch my team away from home at these link up clubs am I funding/supporting the DR system? I just think its wrong for us to be in this situation never mind the DR system fiasco.

Edited by thundergaz, 09 February 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#18 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 403 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Does the dual registration system mean Featherstone and Halifax cannot loan anymore players from Super League clubs this season?
I know Batley can now only loan players from Huddersfield. Not sure how it works for Featherstone, Halifax etc......

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#19 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,504 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Does the dual registration system mean Featherstone and Halifax cannot loan anymore players from Super League clubs this season?
I know Batley can now only loan players from Huddersfield. Not sure how it works for Featherstone, Halifax etc......

Loans aren't affected. Loans and DR are different animals and shouldn't be confused. Featherstone and Halifax can loan players from any number of clubs and can dual register players but only from one club. If they want, they can end that agreement and set up another agreement with another club to dual register their players.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#20 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

There's a poll on the main forum if you want to register a vote - http://www.totalrl.c...l-reg-twinning/
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users