Salford finally take something from Manchester

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Right on both counts: he's an ignorant troll.

I'm not even sure Greater Manchester even exists as an administrative area these days.

Salford is not in the City of Manchester. Period.

It is in the metropolitan county of Greater Manchester, which causes the confusion. If the whole of the conurbation that is centred on Manchester had been completely in Lancashire then the new county would have been called South Lancashire, along similar lines as West and South Yorkshire. If West Yorkshire had been called Greater Leeds then you would probably now have threads saying that Bradford was in Leeds.

Greater Manchester still exists as a county, and as a basis for administering the police and fire services.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#22 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Is Manchester United in Manchester?

It's within the Greater Manchester Urban Area, but in Trafford Borough rather than the City of Manchester itself.

Salford remains its own city in terms of status irrespective of adjoining the City of Manchester. The Bradford / Leeds comparison is a perfect illustration of the situation. Greater Manchester is a comparable label to West Yorkshire.

Edited by giwildgo, 09 February 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#23 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 475 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Is Oldham in Manchester? No. Is Swinton? No. But Salford pretty much is.

Is Watford in London? No.

This is a fun game.

Is Gateshead in Newcastle? No. But is Gazza a Geordie? No.

#24 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Its been explained perfectly. There should be no more confusion. Salford is not in Manchester even though some people tried to make it so 39 years ago. I believe Gazza was born in Newcastle Upon Tyne and that makes him a Novocastrian!

#25 GezH

GezH
  • Players
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Its been explained perfectly. There should be no more confusion. Salford is not in Manchester even though some people tried to make it so 39 years ago. I believe Gazza was born in Newcastle Upon Tyne and that makes him a Novocastrian!

Novocastrain like Danny buderus and the Johns brothers?
Continuing to fly the RL flag and introduce more and more folk to the greatest game in North Lincs
Posted Image

#26 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,359 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

The line between Newcastle-GH is very blurry. I think if you cross a bridge on the Tyne (Millennium?) you are in Gateshead.

#27 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,842 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

The line between Newcastle-GH is very blurry. I think if you cross a bridge on the Tyne (Millennium?) you are in Gateshead.

It's not that blurry - the river is the line!

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#28 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,359 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

It's not that blurry - the river is the line!

You know what I mean. Its a fine line.

#29 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

Depends which way you cross it. ;)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#30 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Greater Manchester as an authority no longer exists, though there is now AGMA, Association of Greater Manchester Authorities which is a loose confederation of the 10 councils that were formally under the Greater Manchester Authority. This is not a recognised authority as such but more a talking shop for the councils to ensure a certain amount of co-operation on policy. AGMA ensures things like transport throughout the region is dealt with in a collaborative manner.

Salford is one of the 10 members of AGMA, along with Manchester.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#31 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Its quite blurry if you spend too long in the Bigg market and quayside.

#32 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Gazza was born and raised in Gateshead.

#33 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:17 AM

Salford is not in the City of Manchester. Period.

It is in the metropolitan county of Greater Manchester, which causes the confusion. If the whole of the conurbation that is centred on Manchester had been completely in Lancashire then the new county would have been called South Lancashire, along similar lines as West and South Yorkshire. If West Yorkshire had been called Greater Leeds then you would probably now have threads saying that Bradford was in Leeds.

Greater Manchester still exists as a county, and as a basis for administering the police and fire services.

Which parts weren't in Lancashire?
I don't see why that mattered anyway. It's not like the boundary changes didn't see parts of Lancashire becoming Yorkshire and vice versa...

Merseyside (minus St Helens, plus West Lancs) should have been West Lancs.
Greater Manchester (minus Wigan and Bolton) East Lancs.
Lancashire (minus West Lancs and Chorley) North Lancs.
St Helens, Wigan, Bolton, Chorley, Widnes and Warrington should be Central Lancashire.

Cumbria should combine with the North East to make the Far North of England. North East is small, and this will free up the other NW counties to be their own region, Lancashire.
The rest of Cheshire can go to the West Midlands.

No more confusion with "Manchester". No more confusion with "Lancashire". Everyone wins.
Posted Image

#34 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,842 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

It's amazing how obsessed Northerners are with counties. It doesn't matter how far back you go, they're the most artificial of constructs. I'm from Warrington: it's a town, you can see its centre and where it becomes suburbs before becoming countryside (to the south at least). Counties are nonsense: whether you consider Warrington to be Lancashire or Cheshire, Blackpool and Chorley are as alien as Sale or Tatton.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#35 bimbo101

bimbo101
  • Coach
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Salford is in Greater Manchester, therefore making it a part of Manchester, get over it. If the club has any commercial nous it'll incorporate Manchester into the club name. Nobody cares about Salford and judging by the attendances they get people from Salford dont care about Salford Rugby League team despite these protestations.

Don't know how you've got the cheek to call other clubs about their attendances.What % of the London population are you drawing down there?

#36 Quinskolar

Quinskolar
  • Coach
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Salford is mentioned in the doomsday book. Manchester is not. As a born and bred Salfordian I am sick to death of people who don't live in the area telling me I am a Mancunian. I went to school before 1974 and was taught to write my address as Salford 5, Lancashire. That will do me nicely. Young people in Salford don't seem to mind being called Mancunians because of the United/City factor and the fact that they went to school since 1974 and were taught "wrongly" that they are Mancunians. The people of Salford are different to Mancunians.

The Salford hundred was set up by the Normans as one of the historic hundredths of England. Manchester was part of that hundred. It was one of the six hundreds of Lancashire. The enmity between the two goes back at least as far as the first ever battle of the English Civil war in the battle of Salford Bridge in 1642. As an administrative area Greater Manchester no longer exists and Salfordians have never put Manchester in their address as Swintonians do! Hence the name Salford CITY Reds not to confused with the football mad City of Mancunia! A river runs between us!

#37 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,160 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Post moved.

Edited by hindle xiii, 14 February 2013 - 03:46 PM.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users