Greatest Stand Off

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

If Kingy gets the nod at scrum half who would partner him at stand off in a post 73 team?

Manson has got to be in contention, would Grimmer be in with a shout?

Hunslet: STILL the city's only club to win all competitions in one season.

#2 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

Grimmer, virtually kept us up single handidly the season before last.
Posted Image

#3 Mycoe For Knighthood

Mycoe For Knighthood
  • Coach
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Mansson all day long

#4 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

Mansson was good in a very good team but went missing too much for me young mycoe, wembley v hkr plate final for instance.
Posted Image

#5 Mycoe For Knighthood

Mycoe For Knighthood
  • Coach
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Plate final we were played off the park by a far superior team from start to finish!! Hard to use that as a benchmark King!! Mansson has been the best halfback In a hunslet shirt in the sls era!! He used to break the line for fun... literally sold more dummies than mothercare!!!

#6 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,496 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

In my era has to be Mansson, different class!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#7 hunslets iggy pop

hunslets iggy pop
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

1st place goes to Paul Mansson.
2nd Danny Grimshaw
3rd Barry Banks
4th Steve Lane

I may have forgot someone in the pecking order , below the last two. So please feel free to tell me.

But , Paul Mansson beats Danny , only on his kicking game, those inch perfect kicks , over the top to Richard Baker , our fast winger , when it mattered to win such important games. Both players possesed the same speed in attack, just Mansson had an extra string to his bow, and that's why he has to get my vote only as the number one.

#8 Penola

Penola
  • 610 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

Always liked Jed Coates playing with Kingy/Milton

#9 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

Does Bob Gaitley warrant a mention?

As a young kid I seem to remember him being a points machine and possibly picking up representative honours with U24s. It may be my rose tinted glasses though.

Hunslet: STILL the city's only club to win all competitions in one season.

#10 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

Really proud to know you hold Daniel in such high esteem guys and i know after missing last season through his groin injury he is fully committed to doing his utmost to keep Hunslet in the championship thanks.
chappy

#11 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

Both Bob Gaitley and little Stevie Lane warrant a mention both great players. Lane esp scored some wonderful tries.The mysterious Kiwi Ian Cameron who played a season at the Greyhound Stadium was probably better though, an absolute class act.
Posted Image

#12 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 769 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Both Bob Gaitley and little Stevie Lane warrant a mention both great players. Lane esp scored some wonderful tries.The mysterious Kiwi Ian Cameron who played a season at the Greyhound Stadium was probably better though, an absolute class act.

Cameron was the tops, better than Mansson. Never rated Lane at all, he was just a support player whereas you need creativity at half back. King was also a support player so playing two in the same team wouldn't create anything.
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#13 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

although he only played a few games Josh Weedon was pretty good and warrants a mention, as does Steve Langton.The unluckiest stand off of all though was Trevor Benson who was getting rave reviews in Queensland and promptly broke his hand playing his last match before setting off to play for us, i think we got 2 games out of him.....
Posted Image

#14 HunsletJosh6

HunsletJosh6
  • Coach
  • 688 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

although he only played a few games Josh Weedon was pretty good and warrants a mention, as does Steve Langton.The unluckiest stand off of all though was Trevor Benson who was getting rave reviews in Queensland and promptly broke his hand playing his last match before setting off to play for us, i think we got 2 games out of him.....

Agree with that Steve. Weedon oozed class in every department and had he played for us longer would have been well up there.
Posted Image

#15 Mycoe For Knighthood

Mycoe For Knighthood
  • Coach
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Don't get me wrong his name isn't associated with the phrase "greatest hunslet stand off" but he did have that unteachable skill that some halfbacks have...Lee Hanlan!!! Another 1 of the games wildcards but he had the raw talent!!!

#16 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

I,ll agree with that young mycoe.Hanlan daft as a brush and could have been a star if hed buckled down. The Aussie Tim Murphy looked good the 1st time he came but as usual the stand off injury curse hit him and he was never the same 2nd time around.
For our older viewers we once signed a kid from Wales called Phil Morgan, now what a stand off he would have been, unfortunetly his jaw collided with HKR,s Frank Fosters forearm and that was that im afraid....( from the Parkside days )
Posted Image

#17 Mycoe For Knighthood

Mycoe For Knighthood
  • Coach
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

Could Chris Ross have gone on to be one of the greatest?? Another one who never recoverd from injury be it mentally??!!

Edited by Mycoe For Knighthood, 09 February 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#18 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

another good call mycoe, always rated rossy
Posted Image

#19 CoventryHawk

CoventryHawk
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Definately Cameron for me.