Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Result Sheffield game.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

Sheffield 13.Dogs 6

#2 Supertyke

Supertyke
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

we're getting closer ...

A RUGBY LEAGUE EXILE

#3 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Not a win, but not a bad result.Won 't be many teams taken points from Sheffield at the Dome

#4 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Just got back. It was there for the taking tonight. Poor second half cost us. Not much between the 2 sides but they were slightly slicker and kicked much better than us. Feels like a chance missed in all honesty.

#5 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

I have to agree. The positional kicking did for us tonight and we made too many mistakes. I think u cud count on one hand the number of sets we completed :o(

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#6 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

Personally, I thought we had a very poor second half against a Sheffield side that utilised their kicking game to get round us after they'd failed to get through us. Very, very disappointed with us tonight after the break.

#7 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 403 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Personally, I thought we had a very poor second half against a Sheffield side that utilised their kicking game to get round us after they'd failed to get through us. Very, very disappointed with us tonight after the break.

I agree with Chairman LMAO's comments. In the first half Batley also made too many mistakes. The game came at the right time and will have given John Kear a better idea of Batley's strengths and areas where the team need to improve.

The main positives from the game was Batley's defence and trying to offload more in the tackle(compared to our rugby last season and under our two previous coaches). Some of the offloads came at the wrong time and resulted in errors/drop balls but if Batley continue playing that style of rugby and reduce the errors it will make the team more attractive to watch and give Batley a better chance of winning against the top Championship sides.

The main negative(of a few) is Batley's inability to deal with kicks whether it is in play or when the opposition are kicking off.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#8 Philius T Wilderbeest

Philius T Wilderbeest
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Our attack, ball retention and kicking game last night were of a dreadful standard. On a positive note, our defence was pretty sound.

#9 vile rodders

vile rodders
  • Coach
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

I can't knock the effort tonight it was there for all to see,but as per usual they had
an extra gear which we don't possess.We desperately need a field kicker when
kicking for touch we only gain about 15/20metres and in open play not much more.
They kicked us to death in the second half pinning us back repeatedly.We will probably beat
most teams but i fear we will be found wanting against the top four.

#10 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

Did you have any Huddersfield players play for you or was it all your own team ?

#11 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Did you have any Huddersfield players play for you or was it all your own team ?

Why? None as it happens.

Edited by distantdog, 09 February 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#12 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Just asking Good to see a club not abusing the DR and using there own players if they are all available

#13 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

We had 1 DR player, Alex Walmsley, who played for us last year before signing for St Helens in the close season. They have DR'd him back to us so he can continue to gain experience in the Championship whilst training in a full time environment. I personally think he will be given a chance at Saints in the not too distant future.

#14 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

I have to agree. The positional kicking did for us tonight and we made too many mistakes. I think u cud count on one hand the number of sets we completed :o(

Only if you've about 25 fingers there, mate. 59% first half, 70% second.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#15 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 422 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Have not seen the stats but i would say our completion rate was in the 30& to 40% mark nowhere near acceptable. Great effort in defence. Kicking game for us 3/10. As Rodders says we wont beat the top 4 teams very often but are good enough to compete on our day against anyone. For me we need another half back with a kicking game, pace and creative skills to challenge for the Championship if not i think 5th or 6th is our spot

#16 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Have not seen the stats but i would say our completion rate was in the 30& to 40% mark nowhere near acceptable.

If it had been that low, you'd have lost by 50. I've said what it was. It wasn't a guess.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#17 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

Have not seen the stats but i would say our completion rate was in the 30& to 40% mark nowhere near acceptable. Great effort in defence. Kicking game for us 3/10. As Rodders says we wont beat the top 4 teams very often but are good enough to compete on our day against anyone. For me we need another half back with a kicking game, pace and creative skills to challenge for the Championship if not i think 5th or 6th is our spot

Maybe paul mennell is the half back we need , he was only there 10 mins and kicked one 40/20 , I would give him the chance to build a partnership with Black over the next 2 games ,he did come as a half back , we have another 2 hookers , and maybe give hemingway a try at hooker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users