Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dual reg/ Twinning

Who is for or against?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: Dual reg/Twinning (131 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is for and who is against?

1. For (19 votes [14.50%])

Percentage of vote: 14.50%

2. Voted Against (112 votes [85.50%])

Percentage of vote: 85.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

Dual reg/Twinning, What ever you want to call it!

who is for?

And who is against?

Edited by shun, 08 February 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,114 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

No sack it. Its open to abuse at the very least.

#3 Celt

Celt
  • Coach
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

am glad you have a poll up on this - it is the most contentious issue in the game after the shoulder charge (which, thank god, we are keeping...)

i am against it for the same reason as everyone else - it makes the already farcical Championship, an even bigger farce, and harms the development of a professional second tier . However, the main problem i have with this whole thing, is the decline of the U20 grade. U20, with 3 over age (and more if mutually agreed between the 2 teams) is doubly beneficial. it provides a genuine (of sorts) reserve grade enabling clubs to build a squad and play fringe players alongside their youngsters. however it also, crucially, provided a developmental pathway for players to make the pro ranks. our game is impoverished, we can't sign players from elsewhere (nrl... union...) so we needed to force (or encourage) clubs to develop their own players. A mandatory U20/reserve grade forced that. now certain clubs... leeds, wigan etc will continue to develop players, while others will just sponge off them, and pick up their cast offs. The situation is IMO an absolute disgrace. when money is scarce as it is in UK RL, development becomes MORE important, not less important. A mandatory U20 grade (plus limited overage) should be re-introduced asap. i see that york, keighley featherstone sheffield etc can manage to run a reserve team, so how the 'ell can cas, wakefield, widnes etc not???? on that note, well done to salford city reds who i see will continue to play their U20 team in the championship reserve comp.
Rugby League: Alive and Handling

#4 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

am glad you have a poll up on this - it is the most contentious issue in the game after the shoulder charge (which, thank god, we are keeping...)

i am against it for the same reason as everyone else - it makes the already farcical Championship, an even bigger farce, and harms the development of a professional second tier . However, the main problem i have with this whole thing, is the decline of the U20 grade. U20, with 3 over age (and more if mutually agreed between the 2 teams) is doubly beneficial. it provides a genuine (of sorts) reserve grade enabling clubs to build a squad and play fringe players alongside their youngsters. however it also, crucially, provided a developmental pathway for players to make the pro ranks. our game is impoverished, we can't sign players from elsewhere (nrl... union...) so we needed to force (or encourage) clubs to develop their own players. A mandatory U20/reserve grade forced that. now certain clubs... leeds, wigan etc will continue to develop players, while others will just sponge off them, and pick up their cast offs. The situation is IMO an absolute disgrace. when money is scarce as it is in UK RL, development becomes MORE important, not less important. A mandatory U20 grade (plus limited overage) should be re-introduced asap. i see that york, keighley featherstone sheffield etc can manage to run a reserve team, so how the 'ell can cas, wakefield, widnes etc not???? on that note, well done to salford city reds who i see will continue to play their U20 team in the championship reserve comp.

TOTALLY AGREE, one absolute farce and a total mockery of the sport. Who will support these championship feeder clubs ? will the SL club pay the wages eventually for their feeer club because the Championship club wont be able to with no supporters. Why would a Swnton, York or Dewsbury fan pay good money to watch a SL second team. At Featherstone we are desperately trying to increase crowds to tick the last box for SL entry, how would we encourage new supporters to come and watch a SL second team, they would laugh in our faces.

There is also the issue of awat support, who will want to travel and waste all their hard earned income to watch a team that is different each week and that dont even care if they win or lose. Fev currently take 800 plus to away games , that would drop to around 100 if we didnt have the pride and passion for OUR players, This has to be sorted before any clubs go under and disappear forever. Drastic words I know but that is my honest opinion and I dont see any good for the Championship in this system.
Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#5 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

I've got no problem with it if its used properly I.E to give young talent a game and improve their game. But first teamers getting match fitness come on now this a joke.

#6 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,517 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

They're not feeder clubs. They're A teams.

A Fev Blog

#7 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

In principle I was happy with idea of 3/4 SL players being registered with a Kingstone Press Championships club for a fixed but renewable period (a month, three months, a season) with the option to be recalled during that period by the SL club.

The examples we've seen in recent weeks are daft and go well beyond that, and I can understand the anger of Kingstone Press Championships fans or feeling that their clubs are being demeaned.

However, I do feel that there are knowledge, expertise and facilities that SL/Championship clubs can share for mutual benefit. If Warrington can provide know-how on marketing or training to Swinton, that can be a good thing.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#8 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

In principle I was happy with idea of 3/4 SL players being registered with a Kingstone Press Championships club for a fixed but renewable period (a month, three months, a season) with the option to be recalled during that period by the SL club.

The examples we've seen in recent weeks are daft and go well beyond that, and I can understand the anger of Kingstone Press Championships fans or feeling that their clubs are being demeaned.

However, I do feel that there are knowledge, expertise and facilities that SL/Championship clubs can share for mutual benefit. If Warrington can provide know-how on marketing or training to Swinton, that can be a good thing.

A bit of marketing resource, some caching sessions and sharing of medical insurance premiums versus the integrity of the competition mmm.........let me think

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

We've just gone way too far down the road.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#10 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

A bit of marketing resource, some caching sessions and sharing of medical insurance premiums versus the integrity of the competition mmm.........let me think

I wish you'd had a think before you typed that. I'm not sure how anything I suggested would jeopardise the 'integrity of the competition'.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#11 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,915 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Just a thought. I wonder if anyone from the RFL or the RL press ever look at these polls to get some sort of feedback. 38 members of this forum have voted at present with only 3 for the system. Only a small sample I know but surely there is enough indication there already to say this is not good for the game and let's get rid.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

After seeing what it has become, then I'm against it too.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

I wish you'd had a think before you typed that. I'm not sure how anything I suggested would jeopardise the 'integrity of the competition'.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, my comment wasn't in relation to your post, more a general comment on the magnitude of the benefits compared to the integrity of the game being at risk,

#14 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

On Thursday night Featherstone and Keighley played an under 20's game and this afternoon Featherstone and Sheffield played an under 19's game. All without any central funding. But SL clubs can't afford both???? I just don't get it.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#15 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

I'm against the twinning/duel reg arrangement on the whole, I can see some benefits for clubs in expansion areas just starting out in the lower reaches of the Championship and getting some decent young players in and access to knowledge/mentoring and commercial support, but nothing like on the scale we're seeing now, almost across the board.

I'd have preferred those Super League clubs not happy with the previous arrangements/expense for there reserve team to have entered there own Championship club. Marketed it as Sunday rugby in there catchment area given the volume of Friday night games we have now.

Whilst the expense would still have been there you'd hope the better standard of opposition would drive bigger crowds and bigger revenues. Clubs like Wigan playing out of Orrell would have been a more than decent Championship venue. I appreciate its an idea being repeated and some fans of Championship clubs also have reservations about this, as previously discussed, but on the plus side we wouldn't have the current DR system, there'd be greater depth to the Championship and Super League kids would be playing to a higher standard.

Plus you could cash in on those families who simply can't make Friday nights, keep them in the fold and hopefully not let them drift away from the game as they get out of "the habit" of attending live games as I'm sure we've all seen amongst our groups of friends and acquaintances.

#16 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

They will not have anything to market though. And wire on the whole would be coaching and getting insurance for there own players. And all of these benefits will be of no use if you if fans vote with there feet!

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#17 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

There are clear benefits for both divisions. Whilst it is positioned by many as a cost-cutting exercise for SL clubs, they ignore the fact that the Championship club will be getting financial benefits by hiring a smaller squad themselves.

We need to be realistic that if the clubs can't afford it, they can't afford it.

This issue looked much worse by the Swinton/Wire link-up - hopefully much of that has been cleared up by the post elsewhere on here, but I doubt it.

I'd rather see a system where say 10 can be registered and a maximum of 5 can be used at one time. I'm not a fan of all of the squad being registered.

I do have an issue with the fact that an injured player cannot regain fitness before being thrown back into SL though - that is something that needs to be looked at if they went with limitations like I suggest.

#18 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

There are clear benefits for both divisions. Whilst it is positioned by many as a cost-cutting exercise for SL clubs, they ignore the fact that the Championship club will be getting financial benefits by hiring a smaller squad themselves.

We need to be realistic that if the clubs can't afford it, they can't afford it.

This issue looked much worse by the Swinton/Wire link-up - hopefully much of that has been cleared up by the post elsewhere on here, but I doubt it.

I'd rather see a system where say 10 can be registered and a maximum of 5 can be used at one time. I'm not a fan of all of the squad being registered.

I do have an issue with the fact that an injured player cannot regain fitness before being thrown back into SL though - that is something that needs to be looked at if they went with limitations like I suggest.

Dave, I find it hard to believe that clubs such as Wigan, Wire, Leeds, Saints, Hull, Huddersfield etc cant actually afford to run under 20's sides when Fev, Fax, Keighley etc can. The plan is purely to use famous and once proud Championship clubs as a feeder/reserve league. For once SL and Championship fans seem to be largely as one on this judging by the poll. The trouble is that no one with any influence is listening.
It may sound a bit dramatic but I can honestly say I've never felt so demoralised about the game as I do now. A brilliant competition is being destroyed and may never recover in my opinion. Sickening!
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#19 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

Will they ? What happens later in the season when the $uperleague side pick up a few injuries and have no players to DR out ?

Or has no-one thought as far ahead as June ? <_<
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#20 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

A smaller base squad boosted by a weekly changing cartel of players from the SL club. Yep that'll boost standards and will clearly demonstrate that the Championship club is a feeder/reserve side getting the crowds flooding in.