Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dual reg/ Twinning

Who is for or against?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: Dual reg/Twinning (131 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is for and who is against?

1. For (19 votes [14.50%])

Percentage of vote: 14.50%

2. Voted Against (112 votes [85.50%])

Percentage of vote: 85.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

One point on the SL clubs looking to save money - I'm not sure why people are ignoring the 2nd reason, which was highlighted in the RFL's update.

Some clubs wanted the reduction in costs, some wanted the system changed because they didn't feel the structure was right. I'm not convinced this structure is right, but people shouldn't just pick and choose elements of the reason to suit their argument and to bash the clubs or the RFL.

I'm not convinced that Wigan and Leeds will have wanted the age group scrapping to save £100k - although that's just my feeling. Similarly I'd expect the likes of Hull to be happy to invest £100k if the system was working properly and providing a suitable pathway.

There must be an assumption that the system wasn't right - as I say I don;t believe this system is right - but I don;t have the facts to hand.

You're quite right in that, I really can't believe that all of the clubs were looking at this for a cash saving perspective rather than player pathway. That said, if the player pathway wanted improving, would it not have been best to have discussions across all of the RFLs member clubs, rather than have some decide on what suited them best and try to enforce that upon the rest?

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#82 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Indeed France is poor/slow at turning up quality RL players.

Yet with eight French lads each week at least still good enough to finish ahead of the World Club Champions in 2012.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#83 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

...that the dire threat of relegation would force their hand. Despicable but not surprising. The Rugby League Family eh?

This dire threat meaning what exactly. Playing North Wales, Gateshead, Skolars, Gateshead, Hemel, Oxford, South Wales and Gloucester All Golds. Are they part of the family too.
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"

#84 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

This dire threat meaning what exactly. Playing North Wales, Gateshead, Skolars, Gateshead, Hemel, Oxford, South Wales and Gloucester All Golds. Are they part of the family too.

You'd better ask the CC clubs which have signed up as subservient partners to the SL in order to avoid the bottom tier..
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#85 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

You're quite right in that, I really can't believe that all of the clubs were looking at this for a cash saving perspective rather than player pathway. That said, if the player pathway wanted improving, would it not have been best to have discussions across all of the RFLs member clubs, rather than have some decide on what suited them best and try to enforce that upon the rest?

Yep - I agree.

#86 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

You'd better ask the CC clubs which have signed up as subservient partners to the SL in order to avoid the bottom tier..

Well, two of them will be dropping down, Terry - DR or no DR.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#87 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Well, two of them will be dropping down, Terry - DR or no DR.

And it just might be barrow and keighley. the first because they are not in a twinning arrangement and the latter because they came so late to the party they had to link with a weak SL team, the last result notwithstanding.

#88 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

And it just might be barrow and keighley. the first because they are not in a twinning arrangement and the latter because they came so late to the party they had to link with a weak SL team, the last result notwithstanding.

By that reckoning then Town should be next favourites after them two as they were the last to link up prior to Keighley, but I don't think it will be Town.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#89 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Gateshead Thunder have a Hull KR badge on the sleeve of their new shirt. I'm saying nothing...
Posted Image

#90 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

Gateshead Thunder have a Hull KR badge on the sleeve of their new shirt. I'm saying nothing...

Nothing like preserving a club's heritage is there :)

Posted Image

#91 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Nothing like preserving a club's heritage is there :)

Now then Keith, Border raiding is hardly the heritage of a grand old Lancashire club

#92 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Yet with eight French lads each week at least still good enough to finish ahead of the World Club Champions in 2012.

:( Oh whoops. Forgot you may be taking half an interest in this dual reg thing.

Point taken.

Just a quick question, of the other 13 SL clubs which ones do you think you'd beat using an all french side?

Just out of pure interest and respect for your views......

Edited by The Parksider, 12 February 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#93 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

The SL clubs callously exploited the financial weaknesses of their potential 'partners' knowing that the dire threat of relegation would force their hand.

Erm, very well put indeed......

#94 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

All this DR businss was agreed by the Championship clubs according to Rimmer in LE, and they were fully consulted and informed.
How can this be? Many posts on various threads say not. Are we just being fed bland, factually incorrect info just to cover this up and hope we all calm down in the next few days?

#95 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

Good question. Maybe the answer is that it was agreed with the Chief Execs or whoever makes the decisions at the clubs. Or perhaps he just forgot to ask the TRL Forum's permission.

#96 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

Now then Keith, Border raiding is hardly the heritage of a grand old Lancashire club

LOL Parky. Couldn't agree more. I have absolutely lambasted that little farce in many of the books I have written down the years. :) :)

Posted Image

#97 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Well even Rod Studd and his buddies condemned the system as 'a mess' and called for the RFL to sort it out quickly. It ain't going to happen though, is it?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#98 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

:( Oh whoops. Forgot you may be taking half an interest in this dual reg thing.

Point taken.

Just a quick question, of the other 13 SL clubs which ones do you think you'd beat using an all french side?

Just out of pure interest and respect for your views......

Interesting question that. Of course the Dragons are by some distance better than the French national side. When you see the quality of their overseas recruits you can see why they've done so well, Jones, Mogg, Greenshields, Ryles, Bird, Johnson and now Menzies, Anderson,Webb and Pryce. I think a team based on French players alone would hold their own against half the competition. Only Wigan, Leeds, Saints, Warrington, Hull and Huddersfield have sufficient English players.

Edited by audois, 13 February 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#99 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Interesting question that. Of course the Dragons are by some distance better than the French national side. When you see the quality of their overseas recruits you can see why they've done so well, Jones, Mogg, Greenshields, Ryles, Bird, Johnson and now Menzies, Anderson,Webb and Pryce. I think a team based on French players alone would hold their own against half the competition. Only Wigan, Leeds, Saints, Warrington, Hull and Huddersfield have sufficient English players.

That's a great answer. I'd agree with that.

There has to be some disappointment that with a whole region of RL to go at Catalans don't have more French stars.

But that's no different to several SL clubs who equally can't produce many home grown stars.

I'd really fear for Toulouse if they got in 2015. Will they? And how would they raise a competitive team?

Edited by The Parksider, 13 February 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#100 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I have not had chance to read through all the posts so please accept my apologises if I go over 'old ground' but I am neither here nor there on the dual registration process.

As I understand it, Championship clubs can register as many Super League-registered players as they like but can only play 5 at any one time, an increase on last season's total number of 4.

I'll have to do a bit of research but I imagine that there were a fair few of our game's top flight players getting a game in the Championship at the weekend.

I think the governing body are trying to 'bridge the gap' of quality between the lower leagues and the Super League and one way that they are doing this is with dual registration, maybe with a view that a few of the registered players will ultimately make a permanent move.

On the other side, I wonder what the established lower league players think. Do they feel it is good for their division and team, or are their noses put out of joint having some of their spots taken?

As the 'system' is still relatively knew I'd like to see how it progresses further but it could well be a good thing overall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users