Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

http://www.batleybul...se-of-dour-dogs

* sigh *

#2 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

Not sure I agree with this alternative report but this is how the Sheffield Star reporter saw the game....

Published on Saturday 9 February 2013 06:00

Sheffield Eagles edged their way to hard-earned win in their first home game of the season.

After a scoreless first half the Eagles scored two tries in 12 minutes after the restart to get the defence of their Championship title underway.
Both teams were guilty of handling errors but Batley had the better of the early possession with Tom Applegarth having the best chance but failing to take the final pass.
Dominic Brambani was trying to keep the Eagles moving but too often moves broke down.
Stand-off Ben Black worked hard to bring the Bulldogs forwards, including former Eagles prop Alex Rowe, into the game. The pressure was on the hosts defence with Miles Greenwood diving over the line but the try was ruled out for a forward pass.
A chip kick from Patch Walker under the posts raised the temperature for the Eagles fans but it was too long for the chasers.
A late, high tackle on Quentin Laulu-Togagae as he took a high kick produced a minor scuffle and a telling off for Batley’s John Davies.
For the first time in years, after 40 minutes, the score was 0-0.
The deadlock was broken five minutes after the restart when given possession by a penalty Eagles’ prop forward Mitch Stringer was almost under the posts but offloaded to fullback Quentin Laulu-Togagae who squeezed over. Walker added the goal.
Only Misi Taulupapa knocking the ball dead prevented Batley earning an instant response.
Taking the lead injected a more positive edge to the Eagles play and Brambani kicked a 40-20. He made the possession count, following up with a kick to the right wing which was palmed inside by Taulapapa for centre Tom Armstrong to race in for a try on his Eagles home debut.
Batley responded through Jason Walton. Tom Hemingway added the goal.
Eagles edged ahead with a low drop goal by Walker 15 metres out after Liam Higgins was held on the line.
* EAGLES: Laulu-Togagae; Morrison, Yere, Armstrong, Taulapapa; Walker, Brambani; Howieson, Henderson, Stringer, Knowles, Green, Szostak. Subs: Davey, Roche, Straugheir, Higgins.
* Referee: Ronnie Laughton
* Attendance: 1,008.
Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

#3 birstallbill

birstallbill
  • Players
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

I'm pretty sure the club is entitled to write it's own 'alternative' report without worrying about whether you like and/or agree with it. Don't you have your own forum to contribute to?

#4 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

I'm pretty sure the club is entitled to write it's own 'alternative' report without worrying about whether you like and/or agree with it. Don't you have your own forum to contribute to?

I don't think he is criticising the good Chairman's report!

#5 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

I think both reports are a fair reflection of the game. There was plenty of mistakes from both teams and I think all the tries followed from errors/penalties. On the day Sheffield edged it. I hope we cam repay the compliment in the reverse fixture

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#6 greavesy

greavesy
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

Good and fair match report Chairman. Too many errors to win the game . Our ball retention and errors fielding tyhe ball from oppos kick offs is becoming a problem. As such we are doing more defending than we should.

#7 ernieone

ernieone
  • Coach
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Simple if we do not get the basics right, we cannot expect to win matches against the better teams.

"Batley Bulldogs, Championship final 2013 Relegated  2014"

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

#8 kiwityke

kiwityke
  • Coach
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

Unfortunately Sheffield seems to be "the better team" too often.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users