Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Glass half full v glass half empty

for my friend JohnM

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

Rather than derail another thread - and I'm sorry if anyone sees this as a duplication of many others

The ugly subject of supposed SL fans v the rest of the RL world ;) and the decline of numbers posting on this forum

I personally know that this subject is a very grey area - lots of people support and love this game, from all walks of life, all clubs and at all levels. I do not agree that you are either in one group or another.

Re the decline in numbers posting : that changed from 2006 onwards and has no direct link to current subjects being discussed - lots of new people have joined in that time too. So whilst I miss a lot of people, who I know personally, who no longer post or are infrequest posters, like myself, I dismiss that as a issue.

Re naysayers, constant doomongers : I always promote RL at every level to as many people as I can and I love this game. However, at this moment in time, I feel there are valid grounds for discontent. I am not shocked at all by the gradual move to what I see as franchises, feeder clubs, Championship partnerships - it's been coming for what seems forever.

What I do find offensive is the know your place comments, and don't dare have your say comments - which when you remember that only a very small number of people frequent this forum out of all RL fans, I shouldn't really bite. I should rise above it and laugh.

Fans of Championship RL are seeing their clubs go from doing everything to survive, keeping financially sound, and getting a very good product out on the field - to one where the league above are pulling the strings, televised coverage is in doubt and nobody can see what is going to happen next. Many are feeling like giving up supporting and going spending their hard earned cash at a couple of amateur clubs instead - I know, lots of SL & Ch fans already do this - or worse still not watching at all.

I think that what we are witnessing is like watching a beached whale in it's final throws of death - dramatic, but on a Saturday morning it's the best I can come up with - someone else will be more eloquent.

Shopping beckons

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,771 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Im not sure what your point is tbh. You seem to start off talking about Sl fans v Other fans and then dont actually follow this through.
I dont see your post as related to the thread title either.
What are we meant to discuss here :-)

#3 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

John amongst other has said that he is sick of the constant griping and moaning about the game - that we don't need people who constantly talk the game down. I have always agreed with this on every other occasion as I am pro RL at every level, the officials etc etc

What I am trying, it seems unsucessfully, to say is that at the present moment I can see a valid reason for people being fed up and they have every right, just like anyone of the opposite opinion, to say that.

Yes, I want to stay in the glass half full side of the camp as I am normally an optimist - but I am struggling, so I have empathy for others who feel agreived

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#4 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

I think fans of Championship clubs have a valid reason for objecting over the DR issue. Its not right and will see clubs lose identity. It could be a good thing if used correctly but it looks like the pee is being taken - so sack it.
So its not always wrong to complain in RL.

But then, I aren't a real fan.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,054 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

That is certainly a point for reasoned and informed debate and I am certainly not advocating or trying to l suggest a limit on the expression of criticisms and negative opinions. However, there are those on here who seem to relentlessly criticise everything about our game and the people that run it. Not the glass half full people, not the half empty people, but the ones who always claim the drink is poisoned.

And Mags, while you are shopping, can you get me some ready meals and some burgers? :) :)

Posted Image

Edited by JohnM, 09 February 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#6 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Whether the glass is half full or half empty, people express their own opinions. Sometimes others might agree with them and then again some might disagree. It is always those who disagree that seem to find the others opinion to be negative and so on. Then we get people complaining about other people complaining and so it goes. The problem is that so many people are always right!!!!!! ;)

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#7 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

I'm back and got food (sugar) now - rant over - group hug

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

I'm back and got food (sugar) now - rant over - group hug

Did you get the drinks in? Cos my glass is empty.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,054 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

don't you start!! :P

#10 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

Rather than derail another thread - and I'm sorry if anyone sees this as a duplication of many others

The ugly subject of supposed SL fans v the rest of the RL world ;) and the decline of numbers posting on this forum

I personally know that this subject is a very grey area - lots of people support and love this game, from all walks of life, all clubs and at all levels. I do not agree that you are either in one group or another.

Re the decline in numbers posting : that changed from 2006 onwards and has no direct link to current subjects being discussed - lots of new people have joined in that time too. So whilst I miss a lot of people, who I know personally, who no longer post or are infrequest posters, like myself, I dismiss that as a issue.

Re naysayers, constant doomongers : I always promote RL at every level to as many people as I can and I love this game. However, at this moment in time, I feel there are valid grounds for discontent. I am not shocked at all by the gradual move to what I see as franchises, feeder clubs, Championship partnerships - it's been coming for what seems forever.

What I do find offensive is the know your place comments, and don't dare have your say comments - which when you remember that only a very small number of people frequent this forum out of all RL fans, I shouldn't really bite. I should rise above it and laugh.

Fans of Championship RL are seeing their clubs go from doing everything to survive, keeping financially sound, and getting a very good product out on the field - to one where the league above are pulling the strings, televised coverage is in doubt and nobody can see what is going to happen next. Many are feeling like giving up supporting and going spending their hard earned cash at a couple of amateur clubs instead - I know, lots of SL & Ch fans already do this - or worse still not watching at all.

I think that what we are witnessing is like watching a beached whale in it's final throws of death - dramatic, but on a Saturday morning it's the best I can come up with - someone else will be more eloquent.

Shopping beckons

Sounds good to me. Well said my friend.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

I think the difficulty is when the RFL are accused of 'declaring war' or 'trying to destroy' or something similar either a club or division, or the entire game. The RFL very often gets things wrong but when you see how quick RFL clubs, fans and officials are to take offence or to look for a conspiracy (etc) then you realise it must be like herding cats trying to control this game.

And that's before you get to how little resources the main body and the clubs themselves have to get beyond the day to day business of survival - and that pretty much every other sport is also facing similar difficulties with regards to clubs maintaining multiple teams, sponsorship and media coverage.

With regards to the DR and 'twinning' and whatever else is going on. I don't doubt that the RFL have the best of intentions but if I were a fan of a team on the receiving end I'm not sure I'd enjoy knowing the strength of my team depended on the week to week whims of another club.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#12 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

Spot on gingerjon, I wouldn't care if every post on here was critical of the rfl its the hysteria of some of that criticism. It's a bit green ink sometimes but to be honest apart from out and out rudeness some people need to toughen up. It's just a forum for goodness sake.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#13 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

I think the RFL was doing a good job until about 2007 when some complete nickompoop thought that getting rid of promotion and relegation for the best/worst teams to/from SLwas a good idea.

The twinning idea is linked to this because I dont think twinning would be allowed if we still had P&R.

If the SL clubs can afford to farm guys out to NL 1 then they must have too many players and too much SL cash so why not divert that to the NL clubs and bring back promotion - and start healing the rifts before its too late

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Were they doing a good job up til 2007? I never recall anything other than them being called clowns or jokers well before that.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#15 Havenwarrior

Havenwarrior
  • Coach
  • 605 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

The RFL should stick to the Pro Game and leave the Amateur Game to Barla. Too many tours and too many Rep Sides in the so called Amateur game these days.

HW

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,771 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

I think my big issue on this is that there are negative people and there are positive people, but the group I struggle with are those where EVERYTHING is positive, or absolutely EVERYTHING is negative.

Because of these people we end up with a situation whereby people get pigeon-holed, which is my biggest issue.

In general I get pigeon-holed in the 'RFL can do no wrong camp' whereby people completely ignore when I am critical of the RFL.

I have no agenda at all, I'll comment on what is in front of me, I wish others could do this, as tbh when you stick to one theme, it makes it difficult to give credibility to your view.

I love RL - I make no apologies for that, but that doesn't mean everything in the game is perfect.

#17 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Polarisation has been established in that all opinions are now entrenched. Therefore appreciation of the opposing view, positive or negative is rare.

The number of knowing all uberposters dominating threads further reduces participation and creates intimidation.

This is regardless of topic. Polarisation is normally achieved within 10 posts and indignant or personal responses within 20.

So the glass being half full is being analysed by pessimists and vice versa.

#18 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Not entirely sure where the chat was, and it's probably not worth a thread on it's own - not by me anyway, but after seeing the state of Blackpool's pitch on sky sports news just now, perhaps they are having it re-laid and hence the change in venue for the Northern Rail Cup final.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#19 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

I love RL, but hate the direction it is currently taking. It is not what our game is all about, and where our strengths lie.
I want expansion, foundations up, I want 2 Welsh and 2 French SL clubs and I believe in letting the cream rise and the basic rules of general life.
Tennis boy was a big mistake, fat boy steals a living - we need someone who lives and breathes the game at the helm to inspire and unify.

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

I love RL, but hate the direction it is currently taking. It is not what our game is all about, and where our strengths lie.
I want expansion, foundations up, I want 2 Welsh and 2 French SL clubs and I believe in letting the cream rise and the basic rules of general life.
Tennis boy was a big mistake, fat boy steals a living - we need someone who lives and breathes the game at the helm to inspire and unify.

Some argue it needs somebody without any entrenched ideas, somebody with a clean slate to bring fresh ideas.

Edited by hindle xiii, 10 February 2013 - 01:16 PM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users