for my friend JohnM

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,364 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Some argue it needs somebody without any entrenched ideas, somebody with a clean slate to bring fresh ideas.

That's exactly what is needed .

#22 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Some argue it needs somebody without any entrenched ideas, somebody with a clean slate to bring fresh ideas.

Just because an idea is new doesn't make it a good one.

#23 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

True. I miss the Margin Meter...! :P

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#24 timhammonds

timhammonds
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

That's exactly what is needed .

Here is my stupid thought for the day(it probably is stupid and I rarely post as the know all's always shoot me down),
There is a school of thought that just about any Australian is good enough to get a game in UKRL ahead of home grown talent,
Australian coaches must be the best as they are the nationality of choice for so many SL clubs whilst the best brits are overlooked,
The NRL is believed by many (not me) to be a better competition and has bigger crowds and produces a better national side than GB,

So,
IF the Ausie players are better,
And IF the Ausie coaches are better,
And IF the Ausie game is better,
There appears to be one crutial strand of the Ausie game that we are less keen to poach but maybe we should,

Why not hire the Ausies best administrators to run the RFL and improve our games fortunes?

#25 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Here is my stupid thought for the day(it probably is stupid and I rarely post as the know all's always shoot me down),
There is a school of thought that just about any Australian is good enough to get a game in UKRL ahead of home grown talent,
Australian coaches must be the best as they are the nationality of choice for so many SL clubs whilst the best brits are overlooked,
The NRL is believed by many (not me) to be a better competition and has bigger crowds and produces a better national side than GB,

So,
There appears to be one crutial strand of the Ausie game that we are less keen to poach but maybe we should,

Why not hire the Ausies best administrators to run the RFL and improve our games fortunes?

could we match the wages they can get in aussieland?
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

So,

my issue with this is that Aussie sport is so different to ours Im not convinced that you can just claim their administrators are better than ours.

Football is massive here yet I certainly wouldnt suggest their administrators are better than ours - they just work in an environment where businesses are lining up to throw millions of pounds at them, and tv companies are lining up to pay them billions.

We got our new commercial manager from Man City - yet he didnt bring the likes of etihad with him - in fact he gets slated for some of the deals he's brought in.

If an Aussie administrator came in and restructured the game to be based on the Aussie model would it succeed?
- remove p&r - check - fans moan
- replicate origin - check - fans moan
- playoffs - check - low crowds and fans moan
- feeder clubs - see the various threads

You could argue these are all Aussie influences yet fans arent happy.

We have and have had loads of successful businessmen in our game, as well as highly regarded administrators - I suspect fans will never be happy.

#27 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

I love RL, but hate the direction it is currently taking. It is not what our game is all about, and where our strengths lie.
I want expansion, foundations up, I want 2 Welsh and 2 French SL clubs and I believe in letting the cream rise and the basic rules of general life.
Tennis boy was a big mistake, fat boy steals a living - we need someone who lives and breathes the game at the helm to inspire and unify.

Get an outsider in and you get "Tennis boy was a big mistake", get someone who lives and breathes the game and you get "fat boy steals a living".

I suspect that some people will never be happy.

#28 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Get an outsider in and you get "Tennis boy was a big mistake", get someone who lives and breathes the game and you get "fat boy steals a living".

I suspect that some people will never be happy.

In my eyes, Richard Lewis only made one big mistake and that was abolishing promotion and relegation "by right". However he has gone but restoration of P&R is not yet planned. The lack of promotion "by rights" is the biggest boil RL has and it needs lancing quick

#29 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

In my eyes, Richard Lewis only made one big mistake and that was abolishing promotion and relegation "by right". However he has gone but restoration of P&R is not yet planned. The lack of promotion "by rights" is the biggest boil RL has and it needs lancing quick

We'll need to agree to disagree on that one. I think it was a very important decision need at the time to help stabilise the game. I think we need to go to two 10 team divisions of SL and then a semi-pro league below that, with P&R between them all, subject to minimum criteria to get in SL2 in the first place.

You'd need some sort of parachute payment like they have in soccer for clubs moving down. Trouble is, we can't afford any of it at the moment. We can't find enough clubs who can afford the current salary cap, which is probably too low anyway to ensure that we can retain our best talent in SL.

The gap between Leeds/Wigan/Wire and Cas/Wakey is huge, there's another gap between Cas/Wakey and Fev/Fax/Leigh.

Until we can lay our hands on some real big money, we're going to have to do the best we can in trying to inch forwards, rather than take the massive strides we'd all like to see.

#30 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

We'll need to agree to disagree on that one. I think it was a very important decision need at the time to help stabilise the game. I think we need to go to two 10 team divisions of SL and then a semi-pro league below that, with P&R between them all, subject to minimum criteria to get in SL2 in the first place.

You'd need some sort of parachute payment like they have in soccer for clubs moving down. Trouble is, we can't afford any of it at the moment. We can't find enough clubs who can afford the current salary cap, which is probably too low anyway to ensure that we can retain our best talent in SL.

The gap between Leeds/Wigan/Wire and Cas/Wakey is huge, there's another gap between Cas/Wakey and Fev/Fax/Leigh.

Until we can lay our hands on some real big money, we're going to have to do the best we can in trying to inch forwards, rather than take the massive strides we'd all like to see.

How well do you think the stabilization went following the abolition of p and r. 4 bankruptcies in three years dosn't look too promising.?

#31 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

How well do you think the stabilization went following the abolition of p and r. 4 bankruptcies in three years dosn't look too promising.?

Wakey, Bulls, Salford & Fev are probably all in the best health they have been in for years.

#32 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Wakey, Bulls, Salford & Fev are probably all in the best health they have been in for years.

Give or take three bankuptcies ( 2 to Wakefield) and one near brush with death at Salford. Or are you saying that the new investors who rescued these failed teams appeared as a direct result of the abolition of p and r?

#33 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

Part of the problem is when people post so called facts without anything to back it up are challenged by real verifiable facts they become over defensive instead of just accepting what they have is an opinion and not a factual argument.

Lobby, and I love him (not in a man thing type of way) is the perfect example of someone who looks at the game's past through rose tinted glasses and refuses to accept the facts that are put in front of him.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#34 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Part of the problem is when people post so called facts without anything to back it up are challenged by real verifiable facts they become over defensive instead of just accepting what they have is an opinion and not a factual argument.

Lobby, and I love him (not in a man thing type of way) is the perfect example of someone who looks at the game's past through rose tinted glasses and refuses to accept the facts that are put in front of him.

Still, he hasn't bagged Bradford/Odsal/rectangular stadia for a while so he can change.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#35 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Equally, just because we have always done this doesn't mean we should always do this because its perfect, nothing is and nothing should be out of bounds..

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#36 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

We'll need to agree to disagree on that one. I think it was a very important decision need at the time to help stabilise the game.

But it has completely de-stabilised all clubs below SL - only Cas and Wakey have really benefitted and that is questionable. Also it has created immense anger for fans now left with no meaningful games and little hope of being back in the top flight.

#37 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

RL has a culture and heritage that is difficult for a leader to fully understand, embrace and use to drive the game - we do not need a clerk or bean counter to administor our game. We need a real leader to unite it and drive it forwarded, the clerks and bean counters have a role to play in the background, but we need the face of RL to LOVE THE GAME, REALLY LOVE THE GAME.

We need some personality, passion and vision to lead us to reach our potential, someone who bulldozes through obstacles because they have clear goals they will achieve.

We seem to have been embarassed by our History and culture recently, when most successful business's use this as a springboard to expand from. The world changes every day, and RL must embrace change in its evolvement, fragmenting your existing client base in the meantime is generally not a good idea.

We sit at a crossroads imo, it will be interesting to see which path we take

#38 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

RL has a culture and heritage that is difficult for a leader to fully understand, embrace and use to drive the game - we do not need a clerk or bean counter to administor our game. We need a real leader to unite it and drive it forwarded, the clerks and bean counters have a role to play in the background, but we need the face of RL to LOVE THE GAME, REALLY LOVE THE GAME.

We need some personality, passion and vision to lead us to reach our potential, someone who bulldozes through obstacles because they have clear goals they will achieve.

We seem to have been embarassed by our History and culture recently, when most successful business's use this as a springboard to expand from. The world changes every day, and RL must embrace change in its evolvement, fragmenting your existing client base in the meantime is generally not a good idea.

We sit at a crossroads imo, it will be interesting to see which path we take

Do you have a dream?

I bet you have a dream.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#39 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Its a sad world without dreams and aspirations. Folk turning up at work waiting for going home time, Leaders without passion just taking the exec pay on offer etc

#40 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

...Folk turning up at work waiting for going home time...

*sigh* Thanks for reminding me, still over 3 hours! :(

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users