The consequences of road closures

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,164 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

Fortunately, its seems that there we no injuries in the accident that closed the M62 and forced the postponement of last night's game.

see http://www.thisishul...l#axzz2KP7EBW4m

Set me thinking, though. This incident, and the others like it the seem to occur with monotonous regularity, has meant that many people have incurred costs as a result. It may be that the KC Stadium can recover some of these from their insurance company. However, what if it can't? And what if you are stuck in a queue because some stupid tosser has caused an accident? What redress do you have? Anyone know?

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,087 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Isn't it filed under 'tough shoe shine son'?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#3 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

can yu imagine the uproar if similar delays had happened on therail system?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#4 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

can yu imagine the uproar if similar delays had happened on therail system?

Imagine? Don't we get this (and the furore) every winter (snow) or autumn (leaves)? We don't need to imagine it. :)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

I was told the tanker driver died... :unsure:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Fortunately, its seems that there we no injuries in the accident that closed the M62 and forced the postponement of last night's game.

see http://www.thisishul...l#axzz2KP7EBW4m

Set me thinking, though. This incident, and the others like it the seem to occur with monotonous regularity, has meant that many people have incurred costs as a result. It may be that the KC Stadium can recover some of these from their insurance company. However, what if it can't? And what if you are stuck in a queue because some stupid tosser has caused an accident? What redress do you have? Anyone know?

I'd say be thankful you're not in it.

*"you're" in the general sense, not necessarily aimed at you.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

I was told the tanker driver died... :unsure:

wwhich puts any spin off debates about this incident firmly in threir place
Keeping it local

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,164 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

Except its not correct, as far as I know. I would not have raised the topic if that had been the case. The delay was it seems to the consequence of the resultant chemical spill. That is why I posted the link: http://www.thisishul...l#axzz2KP7EBW4m. No mention of any injuries.

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service put a 300-metre exclusion zone in place around the stricken tanker following what was described as "the biggest chemical spill in the region for a decade".

#9 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

You have to accept these things will happen in an modern society.
If it becomes necessary to close a motorway after a chemical spill for safety reasons then you have to accept it, unless your some total nutter who thinks the correct course of action if your house is on fire is to go inside, sit on the couch and try to read the paper.

Edited by Li0nhead, 10 February 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

Perhaps I fell victim to rumour.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Imagine? Don't we get this (and the furore) every winter (snow) or autumn (leaves)? We don't need to imagine it. :)

my point was that delays on the roads are taken for granted and go unremarked upon.

The rail system has many shortcomings but compars favourably imho with road transport when it coms to punctuality and reliability
Keeping it local

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,164 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

I have not explained myself properly.

If an idiot driver is proved to be at fault in an accident..say he runs into your car and damages your car, then although you would be covered by your own insurance, your insurance company would seek to recover the loss from the guilty driver or his insurance company. that might cost say £1,000 or £10,000 maybe .

OK, now say that as a result of the same incident, the motorway is blocked for thee hours, and you are stuck in a tailback that prevents you form catching your flight to Aus, for example. You claim the cost of the lost flight on your holiday insurance but why should you not be able to make a claim against the guilty driver instead?

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,093 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

If an idiot driver is proved to be at fault in an accident..say he runs into your car and damages your car, then although you would be covered by your own insurance, your insurance company would seek to recover the loss from the guilty driver or his insurance company. that might cost say £1,000 or £10,000 maybe .

OK, now say that as a result of the same incident, the motorway is blocked for thee hours, and you are stuck in a tailback that prevents you form catching your flight to Aus, for example. You claim the cost of the lost flight on your holiday insurance but why should you not be able to make a claim against the guilty driver instead?

It might come down to proving 'you' were affected. And how far wide the net is cast. All insurance is open to fraudulant claims you'd get people joining traffic in order to claim!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

my point was that delays on the roads are taken for granted and go unremarked upon.

The rail system has many shortcomings but compars favourably imho with road transport when it coms to punctuality and reliability

Not exactly a fair comparison though. As is bore out by many accidents the roads are a highly volatile, the rail system being far more controlled in comparison.

#15 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

You might be able to but if there are enough claims then the guilty driver is unlikely to be able to pay. That's why holiday insurance exists.

#16 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Because extending liability to that extent would create tens of millions of cases and lead to a legal nightmare of claims and counter claims, then exponentially inflated premiums and the collapse of the entire insurance system.

LUNEW.jpg

#17 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Not exactly a fair comparison though. As is bore out by many accidents the roads are a highly volatile, the rail system being far more controlled in comparison.

surely this mkes the comparison mor telling.
Keeping it local

#18 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Quite. I was only teasing you about the use of "imagine", hence the smiley. :)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#19 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Quite. I was only teasing you about the use of "imagine", hence the smiley. :)

oh

well aright then. B)
Keeping it local

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,164 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

Because extending liability to that extent would create tens of millions of cases and lead to a legal nightmare of claims and counter claims, then exponentially inflated premiums and the collapse of the entire insurance system.

Quite so. Just remembered..does the nhs still have the arrangement where road accident victims get charged for the ambulance/s and e? Wasn't it sbout £35?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users