• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

I hope the OP's scenario doesn't come to pass

Barrow are an important club to the championship and I'm overjoyed that they have not been tempted to become a reserve team.

What I hope happens is that the support levels of the reserve teams drops at an alarming rate and that two of them are relegated (relegation eh? Marvelous concept).

Maybe then the chairman of the reserve teams will see the folly of their actions and put an end to this stupid system.

#22 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

How did you feel as a barrow fan knowing dodgy des was investing beyond the rules to help you win a few seasons ago? Did you feel sorry for other clubs not able to do that.

All forgotten about, pal. If only he'd spent that money on thed ground, eh ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#23 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

How did you feel as a barrow fan knowing dodgy des was investing beyond the rules to help you win a few seasons ago? Did you feel sorry for other clubs not able to do that.

The majority of the fans didn't know what was happeniing behind the scenes, and by the time we found out what was happening the club was on its hands and knees on the brink of going under. Don't think that's a reason to feel sorry for other clubs.

#24 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Rubbish,if you didn't know,everyone else did.But like everyone else,teams now need to invest in their facilities/grounds and not spend money they don't have 'living the dream'.

#25 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,749 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

Be interesting to see how this works out. Am I right in thinking that it is mostly only the clubs with any realistic hope of being able to achieve the criteria for SL within the next 10 years (Fev, Halifax, Sheffield & Barrow), who have not chosen to do dual registration this season?

Your right up to a point that it's clubs with an eye on Superleague that have not signed up.

But not signing up to a twinning arrangement does not mean you have a "realistic hope" of Superleague.

Sheffield does not produce top class professional RL players and the club has 1,000 fans.

I think it's highly significant that there is this distinctive split at a time the game is supposedly deciding wether to go back to P & R or extend superleague to two divisions.

Neither is really tenable when the vast majority of Championship clubs are signing up to whatever they are signing up to.

The idea it's just some dual reg signings doesn't wash when you look at the Leeds-Hunslet tie up, where they've been far more open in words and action about what is happening.

The likes of Fev, Leigh and barrow need money men to progress to SL, or they need the collapse of such as Salford, HKR or Castleford.

Clearly some clubs are busting a gut to hang on in a 14 club SL and some clubs are determined to wait to see if they can get in if they fail.

To me it looks like what you say it is, clubs are starting to settle for either Superleague, or a dependant existence on Superleague.

This will be clearer come 2015, but even then any club who just misses out on SL may retain independance.Someone may still fall 2015-2018

#26 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

The majority of the fans didn't know what was happeniing behind the scenes, and by the time we found out what was happening the club was on its hands and knees on the brink of going under. Don't think that's a reason to feel sorry for other clubs.

Come on ! You mean you stuck your heads in the sand and failed to ask the sensible questions. I can recall the "Des is a top bloke and has Barrow Rugby League at heart" posts that came along every time anyone questioned the company's finances. Success that comes out of the director's pocket always has a timebomb with it.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#27 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,384 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

the trouble with "we'll have to see" is, by the time we do see, the damage may be done

and if you do nothing then the damage that is already being done continues.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#28 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

and if you do nothing then the damage that is already being done continues.

and what are people going to do that isn't in fact the very damage that people are concerned about?! In other words not attending the game which only damages their own club. Where's the fans movement if people are so passionate and outraged? Where's the blueprint for a different direction in detail, costed, meaningful sense not easy rants on a forum? Where's the lobbying of decision makers andnthe parliamentary RL group? Where the fighting fund? The website, the blogs, the articles rallying the dissenters? Getting out of the pubs and off the Internet and actually doing something! Where? Nowhere to be seen as far as I can see, which saddens me tbh

Edited by jannerboyuk, 10 February 2013 - 07:38 PM.

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#29 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,633 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

I would like to thank super league for the end of barrow as the current rules around Duel Reg and ground improvements will make a difficult situation in my view almost impossible to over come thiswillbe the final nail in the coffin. This will result in the end of Barrow as a club.

We will not be the last!

I'd blame your last chairman for your clubs demise (if it happens),breaking the salary cap etc.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#30 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

and what are people going to do that isn't in fact the very damage that people are concerned about?! In other words not attending the game which only damages their own club. Where's the fans movement if people are so passionate and outraged? Where's the blueprint for a different direction in detail, costed, meaningful sense not easy rants on a forum? Where's the lobbying of decision makers andnthe parliamentary RL group? Where the fighting fund? The website, the blogs, the articles rallying the dissenters? Getting out of the pubs and off the Internet and actually doing something! Where? Nowhere to be seen as far as I can see, which saddens me tbh

Barrow att today was only 876, this is lower than any game last season in champ 1. :(

Edited by shun, 10 February 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#31 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

must admit I was very surprised how low the crowd was today ???

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#32 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Wheres the promotion for the best team? Where's the meaning of games?

That what has turned people off

#33 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

I take your point but how would a mere supporter know how much Des was investing in the playing staff at that very time. Had he not had a major spat with one of our former Super League players it may not have come out. Who knows other with hindsight?

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#34 hawk-eye

hawk-eye
  • 631 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

I hope the Barrow faithful hang in there and support their team.
We Sheffield fans will always remember that a former incarnation of the club gave us a chance to have a team when the other clubs wouldn't.
I, and many other Eagles fans. will make the trip to Barrow as a small thank-you, and hope for a win!
Posted Image

#35 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,411 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

Wheres the promotion for the best team? Where's the meaning of games?

That what has turned people off

this

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#36 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

Your right up to a point that it's clubs with an eye on Superleague that have not signed up.

But not signing up to a twinning arrangement does not mean you have a "realistic hope" of Superleague.

Sheffield does not produce top class professional RL players and the club has 1,000 fans.

I think it's highly significant that there is this distinctive split at a time the game is supposedly deciding wether to go back to P & R or extend superleague to two divisions.

Neither is really tenable when the vast majority of Championship clubs are signing up to whatever they are signing up to.

The idea it's just some dual reg signings doesn't wash when you look at the Leeds-Hunslet tie up, where they've been far more open in words and action about what is happening.

The likes of Fev, Leigh and barrow need money men to progress to SL, or they need the collapse of such as Salford, HKR or Castleford.

Clearly some clubs are busting a gut to hang on in a 14 club SL and some clubs are determined to wait to see if they can get in if they fail.

To me it looks like what you say it is, clubs are starting to settle for either Superleague, or a dependant existence on Superleague.

This will be clearer come 2015, but even then any club who just misses out on SL may retain independance.Someone may still fall 2015-2018

Did Wigan Athletic ever produce a premiership player before they gained entrance into the top flight?, what crowds did they achieve before entrance into the top flight?
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#37 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,749 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

Did Wigan Athletic ever produce a premiership player before they gained entrance into the top flight?, what crowds did they achieve before entrance into the top flight?

Soccer is a very big national/world game, and you know as well as I do they have a rich man at the helm who can buy in top class international players and top players from around the country.

The difference for Doncaster RLFC is they don't have a rich man at the helm and even if they did top class players are in very short supply in this country and certainly unavailable from the continents Wigan Athletic can buy them from.

Rich man Mr. O'Connor at Widnes can't find the players he wants nor can Mr. Koukash.

It has to be faced that if most of the the biggest places where they play RL can't produce enough players for the local club then there's gonna be a big shortage everywhere else.

Hull's a massive city for amatuer RL yet HKR have had to go abroad to Australia for a team, now that avenue is drying up.

You maybe recall Donny getting 6,000 for an opener against Leeds in the old firts division , without the players and without the wins the crowds dropped by a third. This doesn't happen in soccer.

We have to face the realities of what RL is about and comparisons with soccer are just not relevant.

Shove Doncaster and York in SL and you'll see two clubs who will lose most of their games year on year and won't attract crowds, nor local kids to play as a result of that perennial failure, that's how RL works.

Asking me how soccer works is irrelevent.

Edited by The Parksider, 10 February 2013 - 11:04 PM.

#38 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

North Wales Crusaders aren't involved as well. Apparently Clive Griffiths doesn't think it's the right time, given the club's state of development (or, being a wiley old bird who's been around a bit, he's worked out what the snags are).

So why were they about to link with Widnes until Widnes decided not to proceed ? I think Griffiths is being a bit economical with the truth there TBH.

#39 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

just shows the amount of damage dangerous dessie did to the club, he put his own dream of glory before barrow............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#40 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

So why were they about to link with Widnes until Widnes decided not to proceed ? I think Griffiths is being a bit economical with the truth there TBH.

It was NWC that pulled out, not Widnes.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users