Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Andy Ellis

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

I was watching the Wakefield game, and wondered where Andy Ellis was. Then I found out he'd gone to semi-pro footy with Fev. How could this happen? The guy is a gun player and is superb out of dummy-half. IMO, he was a major contributor to Wakeys great run of form at the back-end of last season.

Even if he was surplus to requirements at Wakey, surely with clubs like Salford and Cas unable to find quality players, he would have landed a gig in the SL.

With all due respect to Fev, players of his quality shouldn't be consigned to park footy.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

I'm afraid I have to agree, he's far too good to be playing Championship footy. He was one of the main reasons we won the league in 09. Last year I thought he was class, and I was very shocked when released by Wakefield.

#3 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

I was watching the Wakefield game, and wondered where Andy Ellis was. Then I found out he'd gone to semi-pro footy with Fev. How could this happen? The guy is a gun player and is superb out of dummy-half. IMO, he was a major contributor to Wakeys great run of form at the back-end of last season.

Even if he was surplus to requirements at Wakey, surely with clubs like Salford and Cas unable to find quality players, he would have landed a gig in the SL.

With all due respect to Fev, players of his quality shouldn't be consigned to park footy.

We're a bit better than park footy you know

Andy Ellis had offers from several SL sides, but chose to come to Fev, he's one of our full timers (works for the club's community dept).

Bloody good player too, was simply awesome last week. I guess he chose us because he wanted to play for a winning team, under an amazing coach.

#4 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

good knowledge about Andy, distinct lack of knowledge about featherstone rovers. no disrespect.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#5 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Perhaps if you spoke to him he would tell you that the Fev club is as good as some of the S/L clubs at the bottom end and the set up is just as good with better coaching staff. When players choose championship clubs before S/L clubs it make you wonder what's gone wrong in the game

#6 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

Gold coast who?

#7 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

indeed the anti-Aussie bias on here is inexplicable.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

Perhaps if you spoke to him he would tell you that the Fev club is as good as some of the S/L clubs at the bottom end and the set up is just as good with better coaching staff. When players choose championship clubs before S/L clubs it make you wonder what's gone wrong in the game

The answer is clearly that nothing has gone wrong wit the game. As we are frequently told, your club is aiming for SuperLeague, fully aware of what it has to do to get there and is putting everything in place to do that. The questionshould be " why wouldn't someone want to join such a well run, well funded forward looking and ambitious club?"

#9 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,699 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Respect?
Andy is at a great club with not only a long rich history but a hugely successful present (look at the records the last four years or so) and plans and ambition for the future. Andy is working full time, doing a smashing job, more than that he's playing well and is appreciated by an ever growing host of Fev fans.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#10 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 662 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

To be honest i don't believe Agar rates the lad. I would've like to have seen him remain at the club but the guy who makes the decisions didn't. The distribution from acting half is noticeably slower this year but that said Aiton offers plenty too. He's good enough to be playing SL but if he's found somewhere he's happy who are we to argue.

#11 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

I meant no disrespect to Fev. As a 2nd tier club, they are one of the best. But they are still 2nd tier, like the Qld cup (which is referred to as 'Park Footy' in Aus - sorry if the term caused offence).

But the UK's best talent should be playing in the top-tier comp. how was he not picked up by a club like Salford? IMO, he should be still playing SL
Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

I meant no disrespect to Fev. As a 2nd tier club, they are one of the best. But they are still 2nd tier, like the Qld cup (which is referred to as 'Park Footy' in Aus - sorry if the term caused offence).

But the UK's best talent should be playing in the top-tier comp. how was he not picked up by a club like Salford? IMO, he should be still playing SL

Several SL clubs came in for him but he wanted to join us as we were willing to pay him more.

#13 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Tosser

#14 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

Youve obviously never been to Featherstone, its like Sydney only better.

#15 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

Just to be clear, is the Championship a meaningless competition without nothing to play for without promotion, or a meaningful enough competition that a good ambitious player would chose to play in it over Super League and be right to do so?

#16 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Youve obviously never been to Featherstone, its like Sydney only better.

Moron

#17 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Moron

Seems a bit harsh. Obviously it's not exactly the same as Sydney.

#18 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

Do Qld cup teams have ambitions to part of the NRL?

Cummins Out.

#19 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

! am sure the likes of Scott Murrell, Andy Ellis, Martin Aspinwall, Sean Penkywicz, Luke Ambler could play at SL level but sadly there is not much money in SL and often players can earn more money having a day job and playing part time RUgby at Fev, Leigh, Halifax etc. Also a number of players have been caught out at clubs who have had money problems and may feel the insecure money offered in SL is not worth it. I would expect a number of SL players would struggle to get a mortgage or loan due to only having a 1 or 2 year contract which also likely is based on win bonus pay. Didnt Bryn Hargreaves mention this when he retired?

#20 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Seems a bit harsh. Obviously it's not exactly the same as Sydney.

tell me any place in the british isles that is.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users