Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Barrow v Doncaster Teams

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

Does anyone have any info on the possible players for both teams ?

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#2 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

I think Donny are tied in with the Wildcats so I would expect maybe a few young Wakey lads playing and Bobbie Goulding jnr plays I think?

#3 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

Today's weather is supposed to be horrendous so I don't think we will see much expansive Rugby,but I'm not too bothered about that today.
We need to get up and running with a win and more importantly deny Donny a BP,because I think that they are going to be scrapping with us to stay up!

#4 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Wakfeild played yesterday so Doncaster may be limited with players available from there feeders

#5 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

I know people believe Barrow are better off being independent but perhaps with our limited funds this season it may have been prudent to investigate the option as the primary club players are still paid by the superleague club, with the "feeder" club paying match fees and I know the savings that can make especially when you look at the quality these clubs can bring to the field. I have an open mind on this subject and wouldn't have dismissed it out of hand.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#6 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

I know people believe Barrow are better off being independent but perhaps with our limited funds this season it may have been prudent to investigate the option as the primary club players are still paid by the superleague club, with the "feeder" club paying match fees and I know the savings that can make especially when you look at the quality these clubs can bring to the field. I have an open mind on this subject and wouldn't have dismissed it out of hand.

Morning Mike.
Just for clarity the club has never "dismissed it out of hand". From a personal point of view I am 100% against it but all official club statements on this subject have said "at this moment in time we are not going down the DR route" or words to that effect. We have to always got to keep an open mind on such matters and as a club we are watching the situation carefully.
However, for me it is a non-starter for a whole host of reasons and the whole ridiculous situation at Swinton does nothing to sway me on the matter.
I have nothing against DR players or loan players coming into the club (and we have a very long history of such deals, many very successful) but I am b*gg*red if I will allow a SL to pick and choose which players are available to our coaching staff on a week by week basis.
The way the rules stand now if Darren was to identify a player at any particular SL club who wasn't getting a game and could help us out he cannot sign him on DR unless we formally "tie in" with that club.
This cannot be right can it?

Edited by Keith Nutter, 10 February 2013 - 09:54 AM.

Posted Image

#7 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Keith don't be so reactive the dismissed out of hand is aimed at the people commenting on here. As for the fact that I have an open mind YOU know first hand the savings you can make with dual reg and sometimes pride comes before a fall....next season we may be in a financial position to stand by our principles. If all the other clubs have gone for it surely it must have been to their advantage whether that is financial or on the player front.

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#8 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Keith don't be so reactive the dismissed out of hand is aimed at the people commenting on here. As for the fact that I have an open mind YOU know first hand the savings you can make with dual reg and sometimes pride comes before a fall....next season we may be in a financial position to stand by our principles. If all the other clubs have gone for it surely it must have been to their advantage whether that is financial or on the player front.

I didn't intend it to be reactive Mike but felt the need to clarify.
I know exactly what you are saying though but I think only time will tell if it is to their advantage or not. For certain at least one of these clubs (hopefully two lol) will get relegated anyway so that won't have helped them.

Posted Image

#9 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Yeah I was never a fan of DR until I saw some of the advantages, however I do prefer my own team but I will keep an open mind as teams with DR did well last year.

#10 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Pro's and con's on DR,every club has a different situation,if the directors thought it was the best way to go I would be happy to go with it.
It has to be right for our club though and the directors know the situation we are in better than anybody else.

The future has to be Blue and White?

#11 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Yeah I was never a fan of DR until I saw some of the advantages, however I do prefer my own team but I will keep an open mind as teams with DR did well last year.

That is the thing Mike, nobody knows (and it may take five years for the full impact to be known). Are your right?, am I right? God knows.
We can discus at the ground later while we fill our faces with burgers, etc :)

Posted Image

#12 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

You buying? Lmao

#13 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Keith the debate on feeder clubs has been around for some time and from speaking with the RFL last year on the matter (by the way i am no expert on the matter) they were very interested to see how the Championship clubs would vote ie:in favour or against. as I understood the matter it would be put to each clubs representative to take back to the board for debate and then cast at a vote at an RFL meeting.

Can you say which way Barrow voted ?

Voting against the the matter would give a clear understanding why Barrow is the only Championship club that is not tied up with a super league side

#14 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 276 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

As well as fev, fax and sheffield D11..

#15 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Im always here to be corrected thanks lifer :D

#16 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

I dont think Wigan are officially twinned with a championship club yet ;) :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#17 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Are they not twinned with South Wales Scorpions.

Posted Image

#18 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Championship Michael not C1 :D

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#19 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

A list of teams with feeder clubs would be interesting if anyone could gather the info

#20 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

god i hope we win today and can talk about summat different. sick to death about this subject which i am totalt against aswell. when we win can we please not go back onto this thread of chitchat and big up the lads performance today.
think the rfl rules stink and will ruin this game . end of,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users