Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Barrow v Doncaster Teams

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#41 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

firstly credit to both sides playing in that weather on the worst ive ever seen the Craven Park pitch.

second in reference to Barrow cannot fault the commitment and effort but we lack any imagination going forward and anyone who thinks we are going to be alright when the pitches get firmer are mistaken as our backline hasnt got any pace.

I hope I am wrong but I really fear another 2005 :o .......all in my opinion of course

Edited by morty, 10 February 2013 - 06:42 PM.

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#42 scrumhalf

scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

We should of won but it could of gone either way. Linesman was either a doncaster fan or didn't know the rules, it could be both. We'll get better as the season goes on we just have to stick at it.

We're still actually eligible to link up with any club except Widnes and St Helens. Going down this route would be awful but then again a Wakefield player scored the decisive try for them.

touchjudges in rugby league ;)

#43 Harry Hat

Harry Hat
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Don't post often because of the usual back lash. The game could of gone either way, we were as good as them the whole 80 I think we had the pace of the game but not the kicking game they had. Cook is a lazy git but his grubbers won them the game. Mossop was excellent but how many bad games has Campbell got to have, ok it wasn't so much a bad game and yes he tackles well but he goes quiet for long periods I want more of him. All is not lost we will win games this year. Like the fullback we are improving every game

#44 Harry Hat

Harry Hat
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Another ###### poor result, as i said last week Holt is out of his depth, attendance woeful and Sundays are supposed to bring better attendances?

#45 Harry Hat

Harry Hat
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

What a totaly pointless comment, the work rate from barrow was immence and they never gave up. Holty can't be judged yet, for what I saw today the team lifted themselves from last weeks poor display, yes I was there. Please everyone focus on the positives they are there. We will improve we will stay up and we will have new floodlights

#46 mjc

mjc
  • Coach
  • 297 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Use r gona struggle big time tho

Sadly mate i fear u cuold b right

#47 RAIDERSRUS

RAIDERSRUS
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

I thought there was a lot of effort today and the defence was very good. They just never got the rub of the green and they panicked a bit with ball in hand in good attacking positions, lack of experience methinks. All 4 props did well, and I think the firmer pitches will suit Barrow, that's if they ever come! I'm my opinion the more the season go's on the better they will get.

#48 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

the game today was 16 against 13. thought going back into champ that officials were gonna be different grade .obviously not . hewer was mega biased. his linesmen were no better. getting pulled for off side on the second tackle off the game, unherd of. gonna be a long season. should be beating our nearest rivals at home not trying to nick it.

#49 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

As far as I am concerned the weather was the overall winner. It had a massive effect on both the match and the crowd. I thought Barrow were the better side defensively and with ball in hand but had long periods when they could not get possession particularly in the first half. Doncaster seemed to me to spend most of the game offside. The Doncaster tries had a lot of luck about them.
Having said all that it is worrying that the team that beat Barrow last week were themselves beaten easily today by a team that lost heavily to the team we play next week. It's also worrying that we have only scored 3 tries in 2 games.
On the way home I listened to the interview with Holty and I thought he summed up the position excellently. Among other things he referred to the game being played on a paddy field. He also said there was no lack of effort among the players.

Posted Image

#50 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Fax would have took a fair few no doubt.

60 max Mick. can't blame them the weather forecast was awful.

#51 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

Wish we would stop kicking on the fourth tackle !!!

Posted Image

#52 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

What a totaly pointless comment, the work rate from barrow was immence and they never gave up. Holty can't be judged yet, for what I saw today the team lifted themselves from last weeks poor display, yes I was there. Please everyone focus on the positives they are there. We will improve we will stay up and we will have new floodlights

I have to disagree totally with you here, and i know i will face a backlash for saying this, but Holt has to go, and soon. This is not a dig at Holty, think he did a fantastic job last season, bringing together a team under the dark circumstances that surrounded the club following the Des debacle, and took a job that other coaches didnt want, for that i thank him wholeheartedly. However, i do feel he is out of his depth in this league, last seasons squad would have achieved promotion with a blind 3 legged donkey in the head oaches role, considering we were playing teams such as crusaders, scorpions, gateshead, skolars. This league is a totally different scenario, even more so now with the unfair dual reg system which is being operated. Holt is to contest against the likes of Powell, Harrison and Kear, all ex super league coaches, with squads far far stronger than ours. This season could be the death of us, dramatic i know, but since there is a verry strong possibility at the moment we could be facing the drop, with no players signed on for next season since we have been determined to only offer 1 year deals to al squad members, we will undoubtedly lose our 'better' players to teams that survive in CC. We then face the same scenario we had at the start of last season where we must hastily assemble a squad to compete, however this time the teams in CC1 have SL link ups whih we dont and can field stronger teams. Pride has come before the Raiders fall. With Feverstone next week, we could be facing a humiliating yet almost inevitable defeat, of which im sure many raiders fans wont travel to, since doing so is a pointless effort, especially in harsh financial times. Im not saying that a change of coach would prevent releation, but a more experienced coach would at least give us a fighting chance, a coah who may swalow his pride and forge a link up with a SL club so that we too can jump on the Dual Reg bandwagon rather than trying to struggle against the current. Someone give Brian Noble a ring, for Raiders sake....

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#53 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

And the money to pay for this super coach comes from where?
As for sacking Holty let's look at the facts.
Last year from nothing he assembled a squad that got us promoted in style. So far this year we have had one heavy defeat and another where we had very little rub of the green. Don't you think that the guy deserves a bit of loyalty for his efforts down the years?
Yes, it's going to be a difficult year we all knew that before a ball was kicked. I still think that we will settle down and start picking up as the season progresses.
Now is the time for everyone to stick together, back the board, coaches and team.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#54 Bob247

Bob247
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

Your Absolutely right bearman we just never got the bounce of the ball today and i also think the ref was poor

#55 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

Well what can you say...huge improvement on last week, I thought great defence, a good completion rate for the conditions and how can you play expansive rugby in a mud bath. All you calling for Holty to go..take a step back and think about what your saying! Knowledge comes with experience, he has been one of the greats in Barrows history and deserves the chance to prove himself in this league. Lets make the judgement when Barrow can play the game we are famous for. I ask all of you don't give up after two games as we the fans are more loyal than that. Nobody said this season was going to be easy and without the links with Superdooper league it is going to be even harder but do we want it to be easy or do we praise the players when they have a good game and go wild when they have a great game?
You all know i can be one of the biggest critics with the off-field goings on but i will back holty and the guys to the bitter end. As an ex director i can honestly say, not making excuses but if i never see Hewer at Barrow again I would be a happy man!

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#56 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

Well what can you say...huge improvement on last week, I thought great defence, a good completion rate for the conditions and how can you play expansive rugby in a mud bath. All you calling for Holty to go..take a step back and think about what your saying! Knowledge comes with experience, he has been one of the greats in Barrows history and deserves the chance to prove himself in this league. Lets make the judgement when Barrow can play the game we are famous for. I ask all of you don't give up after two games as we the fans are more loyal than that. Nobody said this season was going to be easy and without the links with Superdooper league it is going to be even harder but do we want it to be easy or do we praise the players when they have a good game and go wild when they have a great game?
You all know i can be one of the biggest critics with the off-field goings on but i will back holty and the guys to the bitter end. As an ex director i can honestly say, not making excuses but if i never see Hewer at Barrow again I would be a happy man!

Plus 1
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#57 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:47 AM

As i initially said, i am not having a dig at Holty, think he has done a great job for the us as a club in the past, both on the field and off it as in his capacity formally as a player and now as coach, especially since he took over at the most difficult time in the clubs recent history, and i thank him wholeheartedly for his effort in the past and his contunuing effort. However, having said that, with ul respect to Holty, and to Soss, who raised the point the konwledge comes with experience, i dont believe that in this cut throat world of sport, especially considering that the possible future of Barrow RLFC is at stake here, i dont feel that we, as a club can afford to stand by and let Holty gain experience, possibly at the detriment of the team. I would like to see the club take in a 'techincal director' or 'performance manager', or whatever role the board wish to give that person, in the form of an experienced coach to help guide the team through this difficult period. Under an experienced coach, Holty and Acky could further develop their caching abilities, in a vicarious manner, with a long term view of taking over the reigns yet again at some point in the future. Bearman asked where this money would come from? Why not use the floodlight fund, since, if we are relegated we dont need to improve the floodlights for CC1, since im sure that the 2-3 trevelling gateshead, hemel, coventery fans wont appreciate them anyway.
Until such time as changes are made, i will continue to throw myweight beind the Barrow Raiders cause and support/respect Holty and his decisions, however i am thinking proactivly rather than reactivly, because with Sheffield, Fev, Batley, Leigh and Fax waiting in the wings for us, its gonna get a hell of a lot worse before it gets better for us.

#58 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

Most will say I am negative however the problem lies with knowledge of how things work behind the games which changes thoughts to realism.

Funding is required for floodlights,and the shortfall from lack of funds raised during 2012. There is also an increase to the total players salary for 2013 which unfortunatly the board of directors must make as a gamble due to the fact that they will or should look carefully at the possible numbers through the gates and sponsorship as these are the main streams of income for any club. So far we have had a bad start with only a few frendlies and low gate numbers compared to last year which will have a massive financial impact. More serious is we have had a bad start to the season with a loss away and a loss at home with probability of even worse results to come over the next few weeks. Darren has and im sure will continue to do the best with what he has in front of him but he knows that he is also up against clubs with connections with super league clubs. My fear is that the none hard core fans will fall off leaving low gates and low income. sponsorship is difficult for any buisness during 2013 due to the economic climate were in and possibly the floodlight fund will end up being used to pay for the players to see the season through which will undoubtadly see relegation back to CC1.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#59 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

so....and I hate myself for saying it but should we link up now or not ? head says yes heart says no but we need help on the pitch.....teams will now come to craven park half expecting to win before a ball is kicked.

As for next week at Fev :(

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#60 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

so....and I hate myself for saying it but should we link up now or not ? head says yes heart says no but we need help on the pitch.....teams will now come to craven park half expecting to win before a ball is kicked.

As for next week at Fev :(

Yes we should, simple as. Weve made our statement by trying to go solo, and credit to the BoD and Holty for the belief in the squad, but it is misspent belief. We are not good enough and therefore need to link up with a SL squad to supplement us. Had we gone with Warrington, we could have had Shaw back before he signed a full time deal with the Lions. But its not too late - Leeds, Wigan, Warrington or Huddersfield will do me nicely. Come on BoD, make the call, give us a fighting chance, we need every one weve got at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users