Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Barrow v Doncaster Teams

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#61 southsider

southsider
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

I thought the effort today from the lads was good,however I'm not real sure that will be enough to save us this season?

Harder pitches may suit us,we will just have to hope so.

Thing is we have had a bad start,todays result was bad enough but Hunslet were walloped 40-0 at Leigh and with Fev away next week things are going to get worse before they get better!
Plus points were our defence was good especially on our try line and I thought the forwards all went really well,they got some lucky breaks but we gave away some stupid penalties and they cost us.
I refuse to blame the officials,it's not them who stand offside is it?

No its not the officials who stand offside, BUT, decissions by the touch judge on the popular side in the second half certainly didnt help. When it looked as though we had scored under the sticks from a chip over the top, Hewer was ready to give the try but he (TJ) signalled for offside. A few minutes later when one of our players was put through a gap by a perfectly good pass ( right in front of where we were standing) he said it was a forward pass. Absolutely no way !!! Then in the build up to Donnys last try, there was a blatant forward pass ( again right in front of us ) and suprise suprise, he ignored it.
His bad decissions robbed us of a possible 12 points, and gave Donny 4 points which they should never have had.

Edited by southsider, 11 February 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#62 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

No its not the officials who stand offside, BUT, decissions by the touch judge on the popular side in the second half certainly didnt help. When it looked as though we had scored under the sticks from a chip over the top, Hewer was ready to give the try but he (TJ) signalled for offside. A few minutes later when one of our players was put through a gap by a perfectly good pass ( right in front of where we were standing) he said it was a forward pass. Absolutely no way !!! Then in the build up to Donnys last try, there was a blatant forward pass ( again right in front of us ) and suprise suprise, he ignored it.
His bad decissions robbed us of a possible 12 points, and gave Donny 4 points which they should never have had.

I think that you will find these decisions usually even themselves out over the season southsider,yesterday Donny got the luck with the bounce of the ball and the decisions,that's the way it goes sometimes I'm afraid.

No matter how much whining about the officials you do it won't change the score,no matter how frustrating it is?

#63 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

firstly credit to both sides playing in that weather on the worst ive ever seen the Craven Park pitch.

second in reference to Barrow cannot fault the commitment and effort but we lack any imagination going forward and anyone who thinks we are going to be alright when the pitches get firmer are mistaken as our backline hasnt got any pace.

I hope I am wrong but I really fear another 2005 :o .......all in my opinion of course

I take it you weren't at Barrow's first home match of "summer" rugby Lee when we played South Wales in 1996. The weather that night was absolutely appalling (high winds, rain, sleet, snow and low temperatures). That was the worst I have ever witnessed and yesterday was a heatwave by comparison (I kid you not).

Posted Image

#64 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Just watched the video highlights Kev.
The "try" from the kick through is clearly offside (a Barrow player - well offside - encroaches within 10 metres of the scorer).
The pass which puts Kurt H through the gap is definitely NOT forward (there is a line on the pitch which is a good guide).
The last Donny try I too (at the time) thought involved a forward but the killer pass isn't captured on the video.

Posted Image

#65 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

The "try" from the kick through is clearly offside (a Barrow player - well offside - encroaches within 10 metres of the scorer who wasn't offside).
The pass which puts Kurt H through the gap is definitely NOT forward (there is a line on the pitch which is a good guide).
The last Donny try I too (at the time) thought involved a forward but the killer pass isn't captured on the video.

Posted Image

#66 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

no Keith I wasnt there that night so I'll take your word for it.

I hope the pitch can recover in time for the Batley game tho ?

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#67 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

I take it you weren't at Barrow's first home match of "summer" rugby Lee when we played South Wales in 1996. The weather that night was absolutely appalling (high winds, rain, sleet, snow and low temperatures). That was the worst I have ever witnessed and yesterday was a heatwave by comparison (I kid you not).

I remember that,was it a Friday night match Keith?
I think Hugh Waddell played for South Wales then and signed for us after that?
Any chance of the teams/crowd figure?
I think those were dark days back then weren't they?

#68 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

How did donny look,anything special?
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#69 southsider

southsider
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

The "try" from the kick through is clearly offside (a Barrow player - well offside - encroaches within 10 metres of the scorer).

Now then Keith,i wasnt in a good position to see the first incident, i only heard the reactions of the specys who could,so thats why i didnt comment on whether it was right or not. I'm glad you agreed with me on the KH pass,and its a shame that the third incident wasnt captured on video, cos it was a blatant forward.
I meant to say earlier that overall Donny probably deserved to win,the deciding factor imho was one Paul Cook.

Edited by southsider, 11 February 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#70 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Any truth that Holty is so desperate for 3 points that he's confessed to driving Chris Huhne's car ?

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#71 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

the pitch looks knackered on highlights. rub of the green defo didnt go our way. isnt if funny when in most games lines men or touch judges hardly raise an eyebrow or flag for 80mins but when they come to craven park they always seem to want to add their view on the game which always seems to be against barrow. he missed a high tackle and a knock on right under his feet but 30 secs later pulls us rightly for a high tackle.

#72 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

Any truth that Holty is so desperate for 3 points that he's confessed to driving Chris Huhne's car ?

Oooooo harsh mate....but funny all the same

Lee Morton

#73 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

Its a long season, ok we have not had a great start so far and will get soundly beaten next weekend at Fev (Unless the players have a point to prove) ;)

We have already signed up our squad, let them play and develop together, as long as we stay up its Mission Accomplished is it not ? We will get better and might add an unhappy player or 2 who get left out of whatever team because of this Dual REG system (IF WE WANT TO THAT IS)

The Floodlight money should not be used for anything else , period.

#74 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:51 AM

Its a long season, ok we have not had a great start so far and will get soundly beaten next weekend at Fev (Unless the players have a point to prove) ;)

We have already signed up our squad, let them play and develop together, as long as we stay up its Mission Accomplished is it not ? We will get better and might add an unhappy player or 2 who get left out of whatever team because of this Dual REG system (IF WE WANT TO THAT IS)

The Floodlight money should not be used for anything else , period.

What is the point in having new floodlights if there is a possibility of lack of cash to see the season through :wacko:

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#75 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

whats the point of floodlights if we get relegated to the league of death.....after all has a budget been set for gates of less than 500 because thats probably what will happen !

Lee Morton

#76 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

Very difficult task for the board to balance between floodlights to stay up. A decent team to stay up or financial stability to have a team in any league for 2014. The buisness plan I created clearly showed a more difficult year in 2013 but financialy stable for 2014. Gambling on a medium team, costing more than can be afforded on the back of a succesfull year on the pitch but lack of funraising off the pitch is a risk I would not personally of taken. The decisions have been made and action on and off the pitch will be needed to ensure the survival of barrow rugby.

Edited by D11, 12 February 2013 - 07:41 AM.

#77 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

no Keith I wasnt there that night so I'll take your word for it.

I hope the pitch can recover in time for the Batley game tho ?

Lee

Doubt it, for some reason Holt wants to train on it even tho he's been offered else where.

#78 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

How did donny look,anything special?

It was a game you could take nothing from.

#79 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

What is the point in having new floodlights if there is a possibility of lack of cash to see the season through :wacko:

Honestly do you ever give up Neil? Its like your sat there with a big grin rubbing your hands together willing it to happen. You really are boring me to death.

When was the last time you posted anything positive?

Anyone know how to block certain members posts from appearing?

Edited by Blue moon, 12 February 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#80 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

Honestly do you ever give up Neil? Its like your sat there with a big grin rubbing your hands together willing it to happen. You really are boring me to death.

When was the last time you posted anything positive?

Anyone know how to block certain members posts from appearing?

Your a fine one to speak Mr Moon :lol: the number of times you have been kicked off this forum and come back with a diffrent name :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users