Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Barrow v Doncaster Teams

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#101 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

I think stability is required at the moment not knee jerk reaction..we are 2 games in and I'm sure things will improve. All we can do is keep supporting...

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#102 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 865 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Yes in a league that was ###### and Walney could have got out of. Stuffed by Hunslet (who got tonked 40-0 at weekend) beat by Doncaster, Barla outplayed them. If this was when Des was involved Holt would be the first one on here having a gripe.

Don't know you Rooster but have you got something about Darren. Is he better than you on the Karaoke or something!!!! :D :D
FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#103 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

I think stability is required at the moment not knee jerk reaction..we are 2 games in and I'm sure things will improve. All we can do is keep supporting...

It's a shame we can't let you win on Sunday. I'm very proud of your club for going it alone and hopefully you guys will stay up. I've firmly got my fingers crossed for you guys.

#104 beachy01

beachy01
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

Rooster as i remember it Holty was only ever critical of the way des did things I can't ever remember him having a go at the coach just what was going on in the background. Yes there were poor teams in that league last year but it still needed getting out of which the team and Holty and Aki did!! As Keith says rooster KEEP THE FAITH :-)

#105 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

You asked me a question and I answered it Neil. Don't ask me how it works. LOL

You're remarks are spot on Gary. In my opinion.

Posted Image

#106 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

You asked me a question and I answered it Neil. Don't ask me how it works. LOL

You're remarks are spot on Gary. In my opinion.

Sorry Michael i thought if you didnt already know it then you would find out some how :D

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#107 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

Really wanted to stay off this thread but here goes..........
I think there was only one call for Holty's head. Thats his opinion. Not everyones though!!!!!!
What Beachy said is correct. 2 games in. C'mon some people.
My interpretation of the game is...... 1st half. Played gallantly in the conditions. 4-0 up. To me, the defence was great. Second half. A few decisions went against us but still think they weren't better than us.
The weather has been against the club from new year. I know a few people who didn't come this week because it was too cold.
To me the crowds stats are well out the window at the moment.
For the floodlights to come into this, its the wrong thread. But now its been mentioned.
I just hope the people who are on about raising the funds for the floodlights have took a couple of books to their businesses to sell.

Aren't the lights about 50 years old. Surely there has to be an health and safety aspect with them.
What I'm trying to say is, the lights would have had to be replaced anyway. doesn't matter what league we are in.
In hind sight, you can't blame the current board. This should have been looked at years ago. Even before the last board.
What we need to concentrate on is staying up ths season. If we get relegated, were b u g g e r e d.

Gary you started off well but the last paragraph went off a bit ;)

#108 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

Really wanted to stay off this thread but here goes..........
I think there was only one call for Holty's head. Thats his opinion. Not everyones though!!!!!!
What Beachy said is correct. 2 games in. C'mon some people.
My interpretation of the game is...... 1st half. Played gallantly in the conditions. 4-0 up. To me, the defence was great. Second half. A few decisions went against us but still think they weren't better than us.
The weather has been against the club from new year. I know a few people who didn't come this week because it was too cold.
To me the crowds stats are well out the window at the moment.
For the floodlights to come into this, its the wrong thread. But now its been mentioned.
I just hope the people who are on about raising the funds for the floodlights have took a couple of books to their businesses to sell.

Aren't the lights about 50 years old. Surely there has to be an health and safety aspect with them.
What I'm trying to say is, the lights would have had to be replaced anyway. doesn't matter what league we are in.
In hind sight, you can't blame the current board. This should have been looked at years ago. Even before the last board.
What we need to concentrate on is staying up ths season. If we get relegated, were b u g g e r e d.

Good post!
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#109 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

What is the point in having new floodlights if there is a possibility of lack of cash to see the season through :wacko:

Are the clubs finances really that bad ?

#110 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

whats the point of floodlights if we get relegated to the league of death.....after all has a budget been set for gates of less than 500 because thats probably what will happen !

Because if the FLF gets robbed to use elsewhere, we will never raise enough money in the future to get new floodlights (who would put more money into a fund that gets used elsewhere) and have to stay in the bottom division forever , if we stay up and raise the FLF cash then id be delighted.

#111 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

Actually someone else called for it initially before i did, so im not standing alone. Also, not necessarily calling for Holts head as ive repeatedly said no-one can doubt his comitment to the raiders cause, just feel that helacks experience to succeed at this level, and without the guidence of a technical/coaching director could fail. Im more than happy to be proven wrong though....and how many weeks will it be before other jump on the bandwagon, as unfortunatly, coaches heads are on the block constatly because they live and die by results. With upcoming games against Fav, Batley, and Leigh, not to mention the hugely improved Town, Haven and Dewsbury, we could be staring down the barrel of 7-8 games into the season without a win. What then? Attendances will drop as people know were going down down down, and as you rightly said, relegation to the league of death will screw usso badly, i fear we could never recover.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#112 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

Actually someone else called for it initially before i did, so im not standing alone. Also, not necessarily calling for Holts head as ive repeatedly said no-one can doubt his comitment to the raiders cause, just feel that helacks experience to succeed at this level, and without the guidence of a technical/coaching director could fail. Im more than happy to be proven wrong though....and how many weeks will it be before other jump on the bandwagon, as unfortunatly, coaches heads are on the block constatly because they live and die by results. With upcoming games against Fav, Batley, and Leigh, not to mention the hugely improved Town, Haven and Dewsbury, we could be staring down the barrel of 7-8 games into the season without a win. What then? Attendances will drop as people know were going down down down, and as you rightly said, relegation to the league of death will screw usso badly, i fear we could never recover.

Great Post

#113 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Feel though that our next step should be to bite the bullet and form a dual reg partnership with a team like Wigan. In the past we have had strong links with Warrington as everyoneis aware but feel that we would have conflict ofinterest with Swinton since they are in the same league as ourselves. Wigan, so far have only linked with S/wales as far as i am aware, hence this could be a viable option, as they would send their 'first teamers' to us whilst younger players went to S/Wales, much the same as Saints have with Haven and Oldham, in the sense that Ade Garder turned out for Haven at the weekend.
Im not a fan of the dual reg system, in fact i hate it as its killing our great game. But if you cant beat em join e, esp if it means that we, as a club survive. The benefit of such as move would also help keep Holty in place, as he would be able to gain advice/konwledge from coaches of a higher level wih more experience. Its tough on players who have signed on for the club to be dropped, but it up to them to improve to regain their place.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#114 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Feel though that our next step should be to bite the bullet and form a dual reg partnership with a team like Wigan. In the past we have had strong links with Warrington as everyoneis aware but feel that we would have conflict ofinterest with Swinton since they are in the same league as ourselves. Wigan, so far have only linked with S/wales as far as i am aware, hence this could be a viable option, as they would send their 'first teamers' to us whilst younger players went to S/Wales, much the same as Saints have with Haven and Oldham, in the sense that Ade Garder turned out for Haven at the weekend.
Im not a fan of the dual reg system, in fact i hate it as its killing our great game. But if you cant beat em join e, esp if it means that we, as a club survive. The benefit of such as move would also help keep Holty in place, as he would be able to gain advice/konwledge from coaches of a higher level wih more experience. Its tough on players who have signed on for the club to be dropped, but it up to them to improve to regain their place.

Plus there is a link with Dave Clarke who I think was at CP on Sunday. (If we want to go down the DR route)
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#115 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

yeah I had a quick word with Dave and he isnt too keen on the DR route but said if you cant beat em join em to be competitive ?

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#116 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 865 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

I have to agree. If you can't beat them, join them. We have to make it a level playing field. I should imagine every team in the championship will go down this route in time.
What needs to be done in the very near future is to look at next season. This can't happen to the extent whats happening now.
Its making a mockery out of Rugby League. This wouldn't happen in football. Can you imagine 5-6-7 players from a premiership team playing for a championship club.
As I've said before, its about time we (the clubs in the lower leagues) started to look into breaking away from the RFL and Sky. Get our own sponsor. Their must be someone out there with the brains and finance to do it. The RFL would think twice to what they are doing now if they got wind that there was going to a revolt.
FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#117 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

Damned if you do and also if you don't.

Once you are in you are locked because your club can then allocate more of the cap to less players, same with the Super League club you are twinned with.

So you carry on for this year and have a modicum of success so you go with it again next year then the next and hey ho you have a small squad of players taking a larger share of the 'pot' so that you can't afford a bigger squad. But it doesn't matter because you wouldn't be able to give your young upcoming stars much game time as you are committed to playing the Super League guys who are returning from injury as well as their up and coming stars that you are developing for them.

So some time in the future the next round of licence applications are submitted and may even get approved. Where are you going to get a squad from when you haven't developed your own youngsters because you were developing someone else's.

Or am I reading all of this wrong.

Somebody please put me right.

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#118 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

I have to agree. If you can't beat them, join them. We have to make it a level playing field. I should imagine every team in the championship will go down this route in time.
What needs to be done in the very near future is to look at next season. This can't happen to the extent whats happening now.
Its making a mockery out of Rugby League. This wouldn't happen in football. Can you imagine 5-6-7 players from a premiership team playing for a championship club.
As I've said before, its about time we (the clubs in the lower leagues) started to look into breaking away from the RFL and Sky. Get our own sponsor. Their must be someone out there with the brains and finance to do it. The RFL would think twice to what they are doing now if they got wind that there was going to a revolt.

I will agree on what your thoughts are Gary but the problem lies with the fact that all teams in Championship and Championship 1 receive a large hand out in disbursements each year from the RFL. I would imagine that most clubs would not survive without the hand outs. A new structure would need to be in place to at the very least match what is already in place.

#119 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

Damned if you do and also if you don't.

Once you are in you are locked because your club can then allocate more of the cap to less players, same with the Super League club you are twinned with.

So you carry on for this year and have a modicum of success so you go with it again next year then the next and hey ho you have a small squad of players taking a larger share of the 'pot' so that you can't afford a bigger squad. But it doesn't matter because you wouldn't be able to give your young upcoming stars much game time as you are committed to playing the Super League guys who are returning from injury as well as their up and coming stars that you are developing for them.

So some time in the future the next round of licence applications are submitted and may even get approved. Where are you going to get a squad from when you haven't developed your own youngsters because you were developing someone else's.

Or am I reading all of this wrong.

Somebody please put me right.

That's why it's no good taking a short term fix. IF we can hold on for a couple of years we will be all the stronger by not going for DR.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#120 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

im not a fan of DR but by the sounds of it its gonna hang around for some time. dont want to be 6 games down the road and playing catch up rugby as with the bonus point system it is very hard to close the gaps on teams unless your hammering them and denying th bp. i just hope whoever gets silverware this season can be credited for doing it on their own but alas i dont think this will be the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users