Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Melbourne storm....

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

simple question really....

are UKAD drug testers allowed to pee & blood test the Melbourne storm players when they arrive in the country??

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#2 GezH

GezH
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

Don't know the answer to that, but good question. A fella in the pub on friday started us on the subject of this news coming out of Australia about widespread cheating, and another mate who has a passing interest in RL suggested that it might be why the touring Kangaroo's side of the last 4 nations were so good. Personally I dismissed it at the time, after all strength in depth and all that, but the more you think about the size of so many 3/4 line players in the green & gold squads of recent year and NRL as a whole...I've always thought it's the polynisian/ Pacific ocean blood in many of them, and that's the fact of it, British centres in general would need a heck of a lot of growth hormones to get near their size, but certainly got me thinking.

Not to be smug or owt, but isn't it amusing that after all the years of cocky, arrogant Australian sporting dominance over us Pommies, there might be more to it than just 'supreme genes' and high tech sport science?

On the subject of Melbourne? That club would never have a culture of cheating inside it ;)
Continuing to fly the RL flag and introduce more and more folk to the greatest game in North Lincs
Posted Image

#3 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

if its as wide spread as reported, then it may take 10 years for the steriod induced players of this generation to filter through

i'd like to see a comparison between the RFL's and NRL's drug testing policy

#4 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

RFL = Have you taken any drugs? Well make sure you don't

NRL = Have you taken any drugs? Well what sort do you want?

#5 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

RFL = Have you taken any drugs? Well make sure you don't

NRL = Have you taken any drugs? Well what sort do you want?

you do the RFL a disservice there...

terry newton was the first athlete in the world to get caught for HGH....the year newton got caught rugby league players where the most tested sportsmen in the country....

the RFL & UKAD are pretty much on the ball imo

OLDHAM RLFC

#6 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Well said Spud. This is one area that you can't knock the RFL for. The Cooper/Gleeson/Rule situation the other year as well was groundbreaking.

We're on the ball completely when it comes to this area.
Posted Image

#7 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

How many series have we lost through their being fitter and stronger than us? How many Brits have been defeated at the death because of the sophistication of the Aussie drug supplies? Where might our game over here be had we won an Ashes or a 4 Nations?
Not that we can expect that to cross the minds of the NRLers/Aussies are supermen lot.

#8 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

I'd love to agree but all the drugs in the world won't make you a better footballer. Greater endurance perhaps but they can't improve the space between your ears....which is the most important bit. We've lost because the Aussies have been the better team. I'm quite bitter and twisted about that....but sadly its the truth.

Lets not go down the excuses route.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#9 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Is that so though? It won't bridge a 20 point gap, but what about the games when we were leading with 10 minutes to go? Strength and speed advantages articially gained would make all the difference. Indeed they would be the only difference between the teams. If it didn't make a difference people wouldn't take them. Performance enhancing drugs are called that for a reason.

#10 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Is that so though? It won't bridge a 20 point gap, but what about the games when we were leading with 10 minutes to go? Strength and speed advantages articially gained would make all the difference. Indeed they would be the only difference between the teams. If it didn't make a difference people wouldn't take them. Performance enhancing drugs are called that for a reason.

Exactly. I get Johnoco's point, that they were, basically, better than us most of the time. However, there have been occasions when they only snatched victory at the death. That's the sort of edge that improved stamina will give you. Just imagine the difference even one Ashes win in the last 40 years would have made!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#11 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

The RFL or sport in the UK has much fortune in that the Anti drugs agency have and are very good at testing and sorting things out quickly. Though I am glad to say the RFL do as much as they can to help not just the agency but players especially academy guys with leaflets and things to remind players and officials of whats allowed and whats not. The RFL are not shy about the drug problems that is there both in the game and also socially there. Whilst I dont rate the leadership of the RFL , I do think it does a good job in this area and does provide Professional players with information and the dangers.

Whilst the NRL under Gallop have been pretty poor in this regard the question or much of the blame must for me laid at the Australian Anti Drugs Agency. Why after all these years has this come out? Why was Andrew Johns for example able to get away with drugs? The reports that whole teams in AFL and NRL were doping , how can it be nobody has been announced before? Lets get the names with evidence out their. If they dont have the evidence then they shouldnt have said anything until such a time. I hope the game and Australian Sport has a major reviwew of things and that if anybody is found to be involved then they face not just a 2 year ban but a much harder sentence-possibly a life ban and prison depending their involvement. We all make mistakes and some players will cheat or are too weak to say no under pressure. But people who like Lance Armstrong ran such operations and threatened people have no place in any sport and deserve tough sentances. The NRL have been very poor under Gallop in sorting a few issues out like this and the possibility of Match Fixing. The signs have been out there but often ignored like with the Ryan Tandy case for example. Its not just the NRL that should be in the firing line but the Anti drugs Agency as thats there job surely?

#12 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Doritos. Doritos everywhere...

#13 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,839 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Exactly. I get Johnoco's point, that they were, basically, better than us most of the time. However, there have been occasions when they only snatched victory at the death. That's the sort of edge that improved stamina will give you. Just imagine the difference even one Ashes win in the last 40 years would have made!

In the close game at Wembley in the last four nations Australia got one try where a forward, Williams I think was his name, just ran at and completely obliterated Heighlington , I mean just steamrollered him. Nothing skillful or clever, just brute strength and aggression. Now the Aussie forward in question is a big powerful runner but it makes you wonder if any drug assisted strength was involved in that.

#14 PC

PC
  • Coach
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

In the close game at Wembley in the last four nations Australia got one try where a forward, Williams I think was his name, just ran at and completely obliterated Heighlington , I mean just steamrollered him. Nothing skillful or clever, just brute strength and aggression. Now the Aussie forward in question is a big powerful runner but it makes you wonder if any drug assisted strength was involved in that.

I get your point, but using an example of an Aussie trampling another Aussie is probably not the best way to make it.

For me, my mind goes back to the ashes series where the Roos won every game at the death by about 6 points. By improving stamina it also means players are quicker in thought as well as action. There have been some pretty close games of late.

#15 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

nah...he's just a massive islander....

i think that the players under suspicion are'nt going to be current test or origin players....more likely "fringe" players looking for a boost

OLDHAM RLFC

#16 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Should Australia be stripped of records and medals. If it is proven that players that represented the Roos in succesful Ashes,3/4 Nation/ World Cups, took performance enhancing drugs?

Edited by jacksy, 10 February 2013 - 03:39 PM.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#17 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

It's more difficult in a team game of course, but at least we'll be able to argue for a level playing field. Who knows how many superstar Aussies will drop out I'd we announce a stringent testing regime before and during the Worls Cup? I can think of a couple whom I would place a lot of money on doing just that.

#18 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

I'd love to agree but all the drugs in the world won't make you a better footballer. Greater endurance perhaps but they can't improve the space between your ears....which is the most important bit. We've lost because the Aussies have been the better team. I'm quite bitter and twisted about that....but sadly its the truth.

Lets not go down the excuses route.

Rubbish.

To be certain, all international records since 1982 should be obliterated from the record books. In fact, just to be sure, lets make it 1973.

Which make us, I believe, World Champions. Hurrah.
People called Romans they go the house

#19 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Rubbish.

To be certain, all international records since 1982 should be obliterated from the record books. In fact, just to be sure, lets make it 1973.

Which make us, I believe, World Champions. Hurrah.

Which I doubt anyone is suggesting. It must be valid to conject as to the validity of close results if drug taking is widespread in the NRL. Of course the game won't do so, as those superman Ausies view the international game as a foregone conclusion, in part because they have won so many close series...

#20 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Should Australia be stripped of records and medals. If it is proven that players that represented the Roos in succesful Ashes,3/4 Nation/ World Cups, took performance enhancing drugs?

loads of them where necking E's during the 2000 world cup

OLDHAM RLFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users