Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Melbourne storm....

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

It would be good if a journalist poses the question of players willing to be subject to uk testing in WCC to the Aussies and see if they start to shake!

Hope to see plenty of 'drug storm' banners at the game!!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#22 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Hope to see plenty of 'drug storm' banners at the game!!

I'm not sure that that would reflect well on the game as a whole.

#23 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

I'm not sure that that would reflect well on the game as a whole.

If the issues are pushed they'll just be accepted as ok. The implications are pretty huge if there has been systematic doping in their game.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#24 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,322 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

I'd love to agree but all the drugs in the world won't make you a better footballer. Greater endurance perhaps but they can't improve the space between your ears....which is the most important bit. We've lost because the Aussies have been the better team. I'm quite bitter and twisted about that....but sadly its the truth.

Lets not go down the excuses route.

Before this, I thought the Australians were better as they had a highly qualified coaching network spread across millions of kids, who were trying to emulate their rugby league heros.

The question is whether the difference we see between England and Australia would be more than accounted for by a lax drugs testing regime to the extent that the former explanation would not be significant. I would agree with you and suggest not.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#25 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Before this, I thought the Australians were better as they had a highly qualified coaching network spread across millions of kids, who were trying to emulate their rugby league heros.

The question is whether the difference we see between England and Australia would be more than accounted for by a lax drugs testing regime to the extent that the former explanation would not be significant. I would agree with you and suggest not.

Sure, the gap would be significant generally. But, in a demonstrable number of cases, that gap was not significant, and was indeed so close that the relative drug laxity would have made a significant difference. In cycling, they estimate the benefits are around 15 per cent, sufficient to take a Contador from good to multiple winner. We would not have won the Ashes more than perhaps once or twice, even with a 15 per cent increase in performance. But, if they were taking drugs and our boys weren't in the achingly close games/series then that would make a significant difference.

#26 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

If the issues are pushed they'll just be accepted as ok. The implications are pretty huge if there has been systematic doping in their game.

im going to the WCC.....and shall be starting a "cheats,cheats,cheats" chant

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#27 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

nah...he's just a massive islander....

i think that the players under suspicion are'nt going to be current test or origin players....more likely "fringe" players looking for a boost

http://www.news.com....l-1226575646967

AUSTRALIA'S sports scandal has claimed its first victim, with NSWRL boss Geoff Carr tonight confirming that a player has been stood-down following an allegation of illicit drug use.
News Limited has learned the player's club was supplied with information by a third party and has not recorded a positive test.

It's also understood the player is not a big name, having spent the majority of his senior career in NSW Cup.

its understood to be curtis johnston....a north sydney bears player
Posted Image

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#28 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:43 AM

Sorry to disappoint, but the Storm aren't even being investigated anymore.

10 of the 16 NRL clubs have been cleared of any wrong doing but 6 have been named and are still being investigated.

Sea Eagles, Sharks, Cowboys, Panthers, Raiders and the Knights are the clubs still in trouble.

http://www.foxsports...75#.URnjY6V3a9Y - if you want to read the article on this topic.

Edited by 1jordy, 12 February 2013 - 06:48 AM.

St George Illawarra Dragons fan with a Soft Spot for Wigan in the Super League.

#29 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Don't expect people on here to be concerned with actual facts.

#30 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

and british players and clubs have been squeaky clean with drug use??? remember the hull fc doping scandal???
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#31 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

In the close game at Wembley in the last four nations Australia got one try where a forward, Williams I think was his name, just ran at and completely obliterated Heighlington , I mean just steamrollered him. Nothing skillful or clever, just brute strength and aggression. Now the Aussie forward in question is a big powerful runner but it makes you wonder if any drug assisted strength was involved in that.

Heighington is an Aussie. How do we know he wasn't drug assisted?
Posted Image

#32 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

and british players and clubs have been squeaky clean with drug use??? remember the hull fc doping scandal???

Difference being the RFL caught them out (see Terry Newton HGH also). People will try to cheat the system. Less will succeed if we let them.

The RFL were vigorous. The ARL apparently not.
Posted Image

#33 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

I'd love to agree but all the drugs in the world won't make you a better footballer.

Absolutely rubbish (unless you mean literally taking all the drugs in the world, which of course would kill you!).

Physiology is a huge part of being an RL player. Any physiological benefits would make you a far better RL player. It's not the only factor, and just being big wont make you an RL great, but it certainly will help. There's a reason why they spend so long in the gym.
Posted Image

#34 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Absolutely rubbish (unless you mean literally taking all the drugs in the world, which of course would kill you!).

Physiology is a huge part of being an RL player. Any physiological benefits would make you a far better RL player. It's not the only factor, and just being big wont make you an RL great, but it certainly will help. There's a reason why they spend so long in the gym.

Taking drugs will give you the skills and brain of Darren Lockyer or Jonathan Thurston will it? Cos its guys like these which is why we have kept losing.
Unless you are arguing that RL is purely a game of bash and barge with no other skills st all?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#35 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

Taking drugs will give you the skills and brain of Darren Lockyer or Jonathan Thurston will it? Cos its guys like these which is why we have kept losing.
Unless you are arguing that RL is purely a game of bash and barge with no other skills st all?

Are you denying that physicality has any bearing on matches?

Edited by brooza, 12 February 2013 - 12:02 PM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#36 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Maybe this game should be shelved, its a non event for Australians.
If a team has to travel around the World in their NRL build up to play a game that barely rates with anyone back home only to be called cheats and have insinuations they are drug cheats. why bother coming?
This game is custom built for SL Clubs and their fans as a promotional game for the English Club/fans benefit.
If it was scrapped nobody in Australia would realise it until 2019.
Test them, Boo them call then cheats and see what happens, some time ago where they sent a near reserve grade team over.

Edited by AndyCapp, 12 February 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#37 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Of course not but if it was purely down to physicality we would have beaten them before now.

#38 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Is Sam Burgess, Graham, Ellis or Roby not physically as good as their Australian counterparts?
If they are, does that mean they are on the Juice or just "naturally" better specimens.

#39 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Maybe this game should be shelved, its a non event for Australians.
If a team has to travel around the World in their NRL build up to play a game that barely rates with anyone back home only to be called cheats and have insinuations they are drug cheats. why bother coming?
This game is custom built for SL Clubs and their fans as a promotional game for the English Club/fans benefit.
If it was scrapped nobody in Australia would realise it until 2019.
Test them, Boo them call then cheats and see what happened some time ago where they sent a near reserve grade team over.

Give over, you seriously expect no-one to ask questions? Talk about taking your bat and ball home.

Its ok for you to constantly trash the UK game but not to respond to these drug allegations - which are nothing to do with us?

#40 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

The Lockyers, Thurstons, Smiths and Cronks are why we haven't come close in the last decade or so. None are lightning quick, none are exceptionally strong, Smith does have exceptional stamina yes but that's the only feature of these four players which generally physical.

These four players just think better than us, they are tactically better. Every pass, kick and play they do is done properly and well thought out. Running at the line and picking out the pass which puts someone through a gap doesn't take performance enhancing drugs, neither does choosing an early kick when your pack is struggling and getting you 50 60m up field or choosing when to run out of dummy half for easy metres.

These are the aspects the Aussies are better than us at. You don't see Aussies generally beating us for all out speed or strength.

(Tony Williams on Chris Heighington in 2011 4N was Aussie on Aussie and very poor tackling technique)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users