RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

David Cookson: Oldham centre gets six-month doping ban

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kroy1978

kroy1978
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Oldham Roughyeds centre David Cookson has been handed a six-month suspension after he was found guilty of breaching the RFL's anti-doping regulations.

The 24-year-old provided a sample containing methylhexaneamine.
Cookson has maintained that he did not intend to enhance his performance by the use of a supplement containing the banned stimulant and has been backed publicly by the Championship One club.
His suspension began at the end of August and will expire on 28 February.

Speaking to the club website, Cookson said: "I broke the rule and I take the punishment on the chin.
"UK Anti-Doping and the Rugby Football League both accepted that I was not trying to enhance my performance and that this was an inadvertent error on my part.

We supported the player because we recognised that it was not an intentional breach and it was not performance-enhancing

Oldham Roughyeds chairman Chris Hamilton
"I would like to thank the Oldham club, chairman Chris Hamilton and my barrister Daniel Saoul for their support throughout this process.
"It will soon be behind me and I will then be able to focus on the challenges of the new Championship One season that lies ahead."
Hamilton added: "Club policy dictates that we do not condone any breach of doping regulations.
"In this case, however, we supported the player because we recognised that it was not an intentional breach and it was not performance-enhancing.
"All players need to be careful about the use of supplements and we will be making sure all of our players are aware of the risks."

#2 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 970 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

It's right and proper that he get a ban, but I think 6 months is a bit harsh, that'll be the best part of Oldham's season. He's taken it inadvertently, which is a bit silly but he's not a cheat.
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#3 roughyed8

roughyed8
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

It's right and proper that he get a ban, but I think 6 months is a bit harsh, that'll be the best part of Oldham's season. He's taken it inadvertently, which is a bit silly but he's not a cheat.

The ban Is up on Feb 28th so he will only miss a couple of games, its just a nightmare for players when this stuff is in over the counter energy drinks.

#4 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 970 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

That were a short six months :rolleyes:
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

#5 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 764 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

So Basically no punishment at all.
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#6 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

In any court you are either GUILTY or INNOCENT ................ no grey area ....... inadvertantley ...like Lance Armstrong did ...inadvetrtently you mean ........ LOL ........ feel sorry for the guy , but everyone knows the rules , ALL drugs tell you on the packet what they contain ....... unlike packets of Burgers or Lasagne
Posted Image

#7 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

In any court you are either GUILTY or INNOCENT ................ no grey area ....... inadvertantley ...like Lance Armstrong did ...inadvetrtently you mean ........ LOL ........ feel sorry for the guy , but everyone knows the rules , ALL drugs tell you on the packet what they contain ....... unlike packets of Burgers or Lasagne

Not as easy as that with doping and testing. The drink he drunk (containing the banned substance) is allowed on any day except match day, he didn't drink it on a matchday but it seems there was enough in his system to show up the next day. Also there have been many cases where substances and their labelling differed quite widely.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#8 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 970 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

So Basically no punishment at all.

Was it Fogerty a couple of years ago who had smoked a spliff and was banned but served the entire ban in the off season? :rolleyes:

​I do have sympathy with Cookson on this, have a look at the prohibited substance list

http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/World_Anti-Doping_Program/WADP-Prohibited-list/2013/WADA-Prohibited-List-2013-EN.pdf
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

#9 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

They have set sanctions for offences and very rigid rules for how and when a ban takes place. They don't take into account how many matches you will miss.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#10 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

its such a minefield...

especially for guys at our level who have jobs too....they can't take over the counter cold or flu tablets/syrup...they just have to be ill

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#11 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

We must remember that the 6 months means he has missed all of the pre season training with the rest of the squad and cannot take any active part or his ban will be increased to 2 years. 6 months is more than many others have incurred for such mistakes.

#12 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

Not as easy as that with doping and testing. The drink he drunk (containing the banned substance) is allowed on any day except match day, he didn't drink it on a matchday but it seems there was enough in his system to show up the next day. Also there have been many cases where substances and their labelling differed quite widely.

That excuse is just like a drink driver saying Ive had nothing to drink TODAY Officer ............not mentioning the 15 pints he had the night before .....and then wondering why he is GUILTY .......... NO GREY AREA ...........
He must have had a hell of a lot of whatever it was to still be in his blood stream the DAY AFTER dont ya think ??????????
Posted Image

#13 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 970 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

That excuse is just like a drink driver saying Ive had nothing to drink TODAY Officer ............not mentioning the 15 pints he had the night before .....and then wondering why he is GUILTY .......... NO GREY AREA ...........
He must have had a hell of a lot of whatever it was to still be in his blood stream the DAY AFTER dont ya think ??????????

That's true, but you're assuming that he knew what was in the supplement and that it was a banned substance. It must be hard at this level working a 40Hr week, training and not having a degree in pharmacology.

I still think a ban is right and proper, but I don't think he's a cheat and shouldn't be looked at as such.
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

#14 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

Totally agree with you Pooing dog ...it was nothing more than a technical offence and the punishment reflects this . It is hardly surprising that Roughyedz takes a different view as in spite of his name he never misses an opportunity to slag off Oldham RLFC or anyone connected with them . He likes nothing more than to stick the boot in when they lose so he must be in a bad mood following the win at the weekend .

Looking forward to the Law Cup on Sunday ....should be a cracking game ...hope there is a good turnout .

#15 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Anyone who knows Cookie, knows he's not that sort of lad. He's made a mistake, been punished, now move on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users