Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Latest scores

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Fax 14 6 hold on to b p town come on

#22 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Barrow garn down like barrow 4 dons 14

#23 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Town 6 fax 18

#24 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

20 6 fax

#25 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Come on hold on for b p fax 20 8

#26 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Boom b p well done town 20 8

#27 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Outstanding effort and commitment . That was about showing where your at today , taking the performance of both teams ill tell ya what , we ain't far off . They were no world beaters but kept coming and made minimal errors. And we learned lessons we already suspected - your errors are punished and you need a bit more zip and creativity in attack . Coyle needs to shape up rapid , that spell early in the second half where we couldn't turn pressure into points was important , but overall I was well pleased and proud of our lads . No worries on that with better and sharper to come . Four from two .. Nice.

Edited by DavidM, 10 February 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#28 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

good effort but just not good enough at 6,7 and 9. town not creative enough when in good field position. we matched them in the forwards but their allround intensity levels with and without the ball were better. still a good effort and slightly misleading scoreline is was closer than 8-20 suggests

#29 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Yep no surprises . Pressure into points , especially when you've 18-24 tackles . They took us on up front successfully with Tonks , Bracek , Ambler , Manning and Divorty outstanding , but their halves n backs weren't great either . Real arm wrestle wasn't it , but if we can get the creativity to match the muscle we're well in . And young Hulme looks a Ken Kerr !! But big Red still needs to get fitter ! Ill take that though I thought there wasn't much between the teams really . We can be well proud overall . And Thacks didn't like being taken off , he was doing great to . Lost a bit when Callum went off to .

Edited by DavidM, 10 February 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#30 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

I thought it was a good effort from Town today and the scoreline didn't reflect the match. They did the little things better than us and made us pay whereas we lacked that cutting edge. I agree about young Coyle he certainly doesn't look fit and has bit of work to do in that department. We need a half-back running at the opposition line and taking it on and I thought Callum didn't try as many scoots from acting Half as I would have liked. The three Widnes lads all had solid games and Declan Hulme made one or two nice runs. Gore didn't really get a chance to shine today but did okay and so did davies who got through some hard graft.

I think when we get Miller, Matty, Coward and Acton back we will be a match for most teams that we need to be looking to beat.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#31 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

ha ha David i said exactly the same about hulme . it was like king kenny kerr was back. i'd have hulme all season. he cant half step off his foot at pace.

#32 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Great effort but Ive said it before and ill say it again we cant expect in this league Stack, Olstrum, Phillips etc to play 80 minutes. Tonks, Ambler, Robinson, Bracek etc made excellant yards for Halifax because they were spelled off the field and came back on fresh. The Manning try was a prime example of tiredness we cant have a back up halfback and hooker on the bench!
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#33 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

if you drop matty,miller,mossop and rooney into that side today i honestly think were 2 for 2. but we dug deep and a bonus point against one of the big boys is a great achievement. personally when mattys fit i would go with him at 9 with luppy and callum at halves.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#34 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

We competed well, but they shaded us in creativity and miles faster line speed. They didn't make many mistakes either. I thought they were a very good solid team and will be different again on a bigger firmer pitch . I'm pleased summat was said at half time about pressuring the kicker as they were killing us with them, who ever was there kicker from hand was superb.
But we were very good, maybe Matty would have gave us that quick play the ball to get them on the back foot when the likes of Thacks was attracting tacklers. Very happy with the BP though and our performance.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#35 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

ha ha David i said exactly the same about hulme . it was like king kenny kerr was back. i'd have hulme all season. he cant half step off his foot at pace.

he would stay all season - especially after April when he finishes university - hes loved the last two weeks. And when he gets a bit more experience he may end up playing in a position hes used to :D

#36 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

he would stay all season - especially after April when he finishes university - hes loved the last two weeks. And when he gets a bit more experience he may end up playing in a position hes used to :D

Thought he was a centre? Thats where he played today. If he's a fullback he'll have to wait for an injury to Carter, or a suspension

#37 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

York beat Swinton 34-12 ... And had Tom Lineham , Joe Arundel and Jack Briscoe in their backline from Hull !!

#38 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Thought he was a centre? Thats where he played today. If he's a fullback he'll have to wait for an injury to Carter, or a suspension

Played 6 as a amateur and can play 9 as well , but he will play anywhere hes told - watched Carter last week and I thought he was outstanding , and the lad stack was also very impressive.pity about the result but for me workington are doing this duel reg situation properly and it will only serve the team well in future years. gotta look after your own otherwise team spirit will be out of the window

#39 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

i thought fax done the basics well.backed up ,put pressure on the kicker ,and laid on in the tackle.the forward passes they got away with was a tad embarassing at times,having said that they were a yard or two faster than us when it mattered ,all in all a point well earned by theTown lads.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#40 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Phillips n Gore really need quick play of the balls to do their stuff but we just couldn't get them today , they were great at wrestling the ball carrier on to their back .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users