Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Latest scores

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

i agree about calders david. his 2 runs from inside his own 20 relieved a lot of pressure. hes not going to be a player to take the ball in on every set like ell miller but when he does chip in hes quality. i also think brett carter was outstanding, only dropped one high bomb and returned the ball excellantly. i think we have a dilemma when rooney and mossop are both back fit because hulme is definately the most attacking centre out of the lot but how can you not put dan and jason back in? calders deserves his place and no matter what we need miller on the opposite wing, so that leaves hulme,rooney,mossop,morris and patrick for 2 places.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#62 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

no suprise them getting the coverage. before the season started i'd have took 4pts from swinton away and fax at home wheras i'd be disappointed with less than 6pts from York and keighley so they have done nothing fantastic except what they should have done. let them have the coverage. one point from yesterday, a defeat yeah but i'd rather be watching games like that than stuffing clubs in C1. good effort by the lads and lets learn from it.

#63 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

That's never a bad situation to be in Wonky ! Lets hope we have numbers throughout the campaign . And all good players to . May see Carter at six again before the season ends yet to fill in as many attacking players , who knows . Im not saying either way .I like the look of us . We have the grunt , we just need the guile ...

Edited by DavidM, 11 February 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#64 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

Karl Harrison speaketh to local Halifax rag " our long kicking game was great , and our forwards were great .Adam Robinsons second spell was sensational as was Tonks' first involvement . Ambler and Bracek were great for us to . They broke us in the first set but after that we were pretty good against a well motivated team ... In the end we won at a canter in very difficult conditions .We made metre after metre and they never looked like breaking us .It was bitterly cold and raining , and the pitch isn't the best , but both teams handled if well . Lots to work on but a solid start ...."

#65 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

my reply to.Mr Harrison would be if we had been a little more clinical in the good field position that we created it could have been different and the scoreline was little misleading in the end. also the pitch was same for with teams. fax did play well and credit to them.

#66 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

4 points from the first 2 games is a good start and things look promising for the season.

Sounds like i missed a good match - sadly I couldn't get the shift off for the match yesterday cos of a Haven fan being on the sick ! :angry:
"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#67 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Mmm ... Peter Lupton is in the team of the week , and not one Fax forward !!

#68 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

luppy certainly deserves to be, i though he was really good yesterday when used at 6, using him as a battering ram like we did at the end of the 1st half is a waste of his talent. hes looking like hes got his hunger back.

#69 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Yeh I remember wincing when he ran it out from our 20 !! And when he flexed his leg but hopefully he stays fit as he's quality and with Matty will give our main experience n creative edge .

#70 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Thought he was a centre? Thats where he played today. If he's a fullback he'll have to wait for an injury to Carter, or a suspension

Can't wait to see Carter on a firm pitch , he's back to his best .

#71 waven from haven

waven from haven
  • Banned
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

fester if your such a town die hard, why didnt u attent the match,

#72 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

fester if your such a town die hard, why didnt u attent the match,

I know, anyone who misses one match at all, no matter what the reason, is obviously a rubbish fan.

#73 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Just sat and watched the Swinton match and I got the same impression as I did with the Halifax match, that we need an halfback taking the line on and drawing in players when on attack. I thought young Gore was that sort of halfback but it appears that he is a hooker spelling off Callum Phillips. Whilst our defence is as good as any we still need to score points to win matches and can't always rely on individual skills to get tries. The old fella Watson made several runs at our line and drew men in to him and if the rest had been up to it they might have broken our defence, but we need more of that.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#74 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

i would still have a half back partnership of lupton and phillips when matty returns. if matty was there sunday i think we might have nicked it

#75 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

There's no doubt with more creative guile we'd have had two more tries .

#76 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

i would still have a half back partnership of lupton and phillips when matty returns. if matty was there sunday i think we might have nicked it

Indeed Philips looks well capable of a stand-off role, with Olstrum spelling the hooker role I'd keep Forber at scrum-half though and Lupton at 13 ? That would test any defence ?

#77 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

probably is when lupton went to loose on sunday he didnt play as an extra creative player, we just used him as another second rower driving the ball in, which is just a waste of his talent. i agree if we can use him like we used to use craig walsh when we had him for a short time then it would give us far more options.

#78 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

probably is when lupton went to loose on sunday he didnt play as an extra creative player, we just used him as another second rower driving the ball in, which is just a waste of his talent. i agree if we can use him like we used to use craig walsh when we had him for a short time then it would give us far more options.

Yes he was a class act. Talking of wasted talent though !

#79 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Yes I see Olstrum as more of a replacement hooker in this league . It's alright a relatively smaller guy playing back of the scrum if your a ballplayer like Murrell , but if your a physical go forward 13 you have to have the size to do it , and Karl may struggle on that front in this league . Using his footwork and skills from dummy half will see him to more effect rather than driving it up the guts as we've seen this last fortnight .

Edited by DavidM, 14 February 2013 - 10:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users