Six Nations Envy

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

It really does make me wish our RLIF had some teeth, aswell as money.
After reading John Kears article regarding the connection between a clubs retained academy players and the success of that team in super league. Wouldnt it be a great time to have a strategy on achieving meaningful northern hemisphere internationals.
My thoughts would be to have international academys like the one going on in Wales, for all home nations and France, but fund full time teams at u18 to compete in the super league academy league.

Let clubs offer contracts to the best players, but after a few years of investment you will have competitive games that can be built into events like the six nations is now.

They need a long term stratergy to stop the rot

Edited by joe elliot, 10 February 2013 - 03:30 PM.

waddell

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Where does the money come from?

Let me guess the Bank of RFL but surely that's already buying Broncos a new home in London, funding a Welsh super league team, building a national headquarters and stadium in London and fixing up Odsal.

#3 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

The solution is simple, fans need to turn up to international games, no excuses!

#4 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Being Welsh I joined my mates in watching Framce v. Wales in my local pub. I was bored and so too were some of my Union friends Today out of curiosity I started watching Ireland v, England. I was so bored that I urned off at half time. Yet the game was watched live by 80,00 + lemmings.
Wigan V Warrington was so superior that there was no comparison.
I urge fans to make every effort to watch a live Rugby League game.

#5 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

The cost would not be that much, £200,000 maximum. Which would cover the kids wages and facilities etc. They could get funding through all sorts of different bodies for most of it, they would be offering apprenticeships aswell. The money would not be the problem.
It's the foresight that is.
waddell

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,433 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

The solution is simple, fans need to turn up to international games, no excuses!

indeed. there were 50k empty seats at Wembley for the double header. Fill these and you could be talking another £1-3m for them to be spending on internationals.

That is the reason RU can stage these games and take long term decisions.

#7 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

I agree, imagine if a rugby league international had the same build up as Iv just watched for England v Ireland. The difference being the game wouldn't be dull as dishwater
waddell

#8 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

It really does make me wish our RLIF had some teeth, aswell as money.
After reading John Kears article regarding the connection between a clubs retained academy players and the success of that team in super league. Wouldnt it be a great time to have a strategy on achieving meaningful northern hemisphere internationals.
My thoughts would be to have international academys like the one going on in Wales, for all home nations and France, but fund full time teams at u18 to compete in the super league academy league.

Let clubs offer contracts to the best players, but after a few years of investment you will have competitive games that can be built into events like the six nations is now.

They need a long term stratergy to stop the rot

the problem is they do have a long term strategy - regular four nations, qualifying comps for that, world cups properly scheduled and avoiding too much competition, focus on England rather then gb, develop France, Wales etc, European development etc - whether people like it is another matter but a strategy can't escape the conditions of its starting point. The home/five/now six nations has been developed consistently over 130+ years. Annually. If we had the four nations over here annually no matter what even less people would turn up and complain that the novelty has worn off!

Edited by jannerboyuk, 10 February 2013 - 04:16 PM.

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#9 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

I agree they have a strategy, in my view its not good enough
waddell

#10 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Regular 4 nations and GB tours would be a help, along with exclusive terrestrial tv coverage. I'd even go as far as giving away tickets in London / South East Schools to try and get a packed Wembley once a year. I imagine that when the casual viewer tunes in to an international at half empty northern stadia, they wonder whether it's even worth watching. Maybe even try this ooop north.

Yes it would cost money initially. We need to speculate to accumulate.

I'm sat watching England / Ireland (curse Premier Sports for delaying our kick off this afternoon!!) and it's just pants. If we could get some of these union types in front of our game at major events, they are bound to see the error of their ways.

Edited by Ponterover, 10 February 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#11 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

I agree they have a strategy, in my view its not good enough

strategies are not able to overcome fatal weaknesses. For example what would be the cost of your idea? If the four nations produced say 3 crowds of 75k every year maybe we could afford to deepen our strategies but the fans don't so we can't. Chicken and egg really
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#12 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

The cost would not be that much, £200,000 maximum. Which would cover the kids wages and facilities etc. They could get funding through all sorts of different bodies for most of it, they would be offering apprenticeships aswell. The money would not be the problem.
It's the foresight that is.

The thing is that they don't have £200,000 sat in a drawer waiting for someone to come up with an idea to spend it on. The question is what would you cut to find this money? And frankly I don't think it would be 200k either.

And which bodies do you think would pay out cash for this in these economic times? Everything is being cut back.

#13 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

No point having a faster game if the scores are predictable - and sadly they are at international level. We should have built on the 2000 world cup and played a six nations the year after. Ireland were a decent team and Wales had reached the SF.

Until the scores are in doubt the international game will suffer. We stupidly sped our game upwith the 10m rule and this widens the gap between teams

#14 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Oh well we may as well accept a second rate international scene, as it doesn't look like its going to get any better.
I think I'm just getting tired of the view that clubs over internationals. Too many games in super league= watered down competition, not enough internationals.
waddell

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,433 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Oh well we may as well accept a second rate international scene, as it doesn't look like its going to get any better.
I think I'm just getting tired of the view that clubs over internationals. Too many games in super league= watered down competition, not enough internationals.

You do know about the WC don't you?

#16 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Apart from the attendance, there was pretty little to be envious of. 6 penalty goals between them. Really thrilling that.

#17 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,433 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Apart from the attendance, there was pretty little to be envious of. 6 penalty goals between them. Really thrilling that.

indeed

#18 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,667 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

You do know about the WC don't you?

He's going to get a pleasant surprise.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#19 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Why don't we have a Six Nations?

England/Wales/France could play each other mid-season. Wales already play France mid-season. Only need to squeeze England vs Wales and France in somewhere (sure that will be possible).

Aus/NZ/PNG could also play each other mid-season. Aus/NZ already happens. Just need NZ vs PNG (room for that around SoO time) and Aus vs PNG at some point.

3 games and the final at the end of season as now. Simplez.
Posted Image

#20 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,667 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

Why don't we have a Six Nations?

Let me stop you there, Welllsy. England would beat Wales in the first game by a couple of scores and RL fans would dismiss it as a farce and foregone conclusion.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users