Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Six Nations Envy

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,115 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

I watched France - Wales until half time then turned over to watch something about the abdication. I tried to watch Ireland - England today but it was hard going. Brian Moore was very complimentary about Andy Farrell - high spot of the game for me. There was a programme on earlier today about a guy having dininer with three different girls in Oz - Wests Tigers, Roosters and Rabittohs all got a mention. :)
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#22 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Trojan, It was VERY hard going!

Not often I say this though, the referee in the Scotland v Italy game was Outstanding...really gave the game a chance and the whistle a rest!

#23 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Some people on here are so negative, you dont need millions upon millions of pounds to be consistent and stage internationals year on year? The problem is more one of consistency and long term vision.
Internationals have been played against lesser nations like france and wales most years but on a sporadic basis, all that needs to happen is structure it more and hold it at the same point in summer each year aswell as giving the lesser teams ways that they can develop.

Its not bundles of money that's needed its vision.

#24 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Did the RFL need millions to stage Exiles, the Origin game or France, Wales games in previous years?

#25 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

We're not talking about staging the Superbowl here are we.

#26 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

indeed. there were 50k empty seats at Wembley for the double header. Fill these and you could be talking another £1-3m for them to be spending on internationals.

An extra £1-3m would simply be split between the RFL, ARL and the NZRL.

rldfsignature.jpg

#27 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Until the scores are in doubt the international game will suffer.

Bingo.

Doesn't matter about the attendances, the stadia, the players. International rugby league's problem is IT LACKS COMPETITION.

Moan at the Six Nations all you like, and yes Ireland v England was far from a classic, but many people would rather watch that then England putting 74 points past Wales.

The Six Nations has two smaller tiers: England, France, Ireland and Wales in one, Italy and Scotland in another, but even then the tiers have a smaller gulf then RL ones (hence Italy beating France).

Rugby League has a team for each tier!! Well apart from England v New Zealand which is one of the few truly competitive matches in International RL.

I say change the rules a bit: yes it might "lose credibility", it might confuse players a bit but heck at least it might give out reasonably competitive scores.

It will of course happen: eventually Wales and France should reach the England/NZ level and then International RL will really be able to compete on a "valid" stage, but Union just seem to be doing it faster with Italy and Argentina being 'elevated' in. And the more teams there are to start off with the easier it gets. I would say that Union now has around 10-14 "valid" teams (perhaps over two tiers but still). League still has 3.

Edited by ShotgunGold, 10 February 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#28 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

And how many pro leagues does RU have compared to RL's two and a couple of semi pro leagues?

rldfsignature.jpg

#29 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Oh well we may as well accept a second rate international scene, as it doesn't look like its going to get any better.
I think I'm just getting tired of the view that clubs over internationals. Too many games in super league= watered down competition, not enough internationals.

you're not alone in that joe but getting from here from there is more than just getting the perfect strategy, its a much broader question and will require a significant period of time. Agree with the need for consistency but fans need to vote with their feet, that's the basis of everything
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#30 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

And how many pro leagues does RU have compared to RL's two and a couple of semi pro leagues?

Do we have two semi-pro leagues?

France for sure but NZ is just a mess. They don't even have a national league. Does PNG have a semi-pro league?

#31 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

It will of course happen: eventually Wales and France should reach the England/NZ level and then International RL will really be able to compete on a "valid" stage, but Union just seem to be doing it faster with Italy and Argentina being 'elevated' in. And the more teams there are to start off with the easier it gets. I would say that Union now has around 10-14 "valid" teams (perhaps over two tiers but still). League still has 3.

If the likes of Georgia and Romania count as "valid" then France, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and PNG also are.

#32 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,886 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Sadly, I think we've missed the boat. Ask anybody about international rugby and they'll think about union. We'll never compete with them on that stage so why worry?

Our product at club level is far superior and they know it. Let's just concentrate on pointing this out to the masses, continually win the TV ratings war and rub the unionites noses in it.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#33 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,724 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

An extra £1-3m would simply be split between the RFL, ARL and the NZRL.

really? And not a penny would be spent on the internatiinal game?

#34 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Where does the money come from?

Let me guess the Bank of RFL but surely that's already buying Broncos a new home in London, funding a Welsh super league team, building a national headquarters and stadium in London and fixing up Odsal.

And your proof for all that I have highlighted ?

No point having a faster game if the scores are predictable - and sadly they are at international level. We should have built on the 2000 world cup and played a six nations the year after. Ireland were a decent team and Wales had reached the SF.

Until the scores are in doubt the international game will suffer. We stupidly sped our game upwith the 10m rule and this widens the gap between teams

I do not normally agree with you on much but here you are spot on.

Bingo.

Doesn't matter about the attendances, the stadia, the players. International rugby league's problem is IT LACKS COMPETITION.

Moan at the Six Nations all you like, and yes Ireland v England was far from a classic, but many people would rather watch that then England putting 74 points past Wales.

The Six Nations has two smaller tiers: England, France, Ireland and Wales in one, Italy and Scotland in another, but even then the tiers have a smaller gulf then RL ones (hence Italy beating France).

Rugby League has a team for each tier!! Well apart from England v New Zealand which is one of the few truly competitive matches in International RL.

I say change the rules a bit: yes it might "lose credibility", it might confuse players a bit but heck at least it might give out reasonably competitive scores.

A very sensible post but I have serious doubts that a game in full retreat to its heartlands is ever going to have a competive Welsh or French team Certainly if last years tri-nations tournament was anything to go by.

Like it or not Rugby League in the northern hemisphere is in crisis with the game already serving as a feeder league for the NRL or RFU. As I have posted before, within 5 years thev England RL coach will fly out to Australia where the majority of the squad will be. A bunch of NRL players will raise the standard of the England team no doubt but it will be because players reach their potential in the NRL not Super League.

Some posters on here need to wake up and smell the coffee, and I certainly don't know what the gamechanger will be to turn League's fortunes around but then a lot of posters and voices within the game are quite happy with the prospect of an M62 Small Town game even if it is a feeder league. As ye sow so shall ye reap

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#35 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,979 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

We should have built exactly what after the 2000WC? It was a financial disaster and almost sent the RFL to the wall. There were virtually no genuine Welsh or Irish players to play for these countries...what were we meant to do? Pretend?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#36 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,162 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

And your proof for all that I have highlighted ?

whoosh

#37 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,110 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

I'm pretty envious of the reach of the Six Nations, of the fact that the games don't need to be classics (or good) to get national press attention and large crowds.

But I'm also aware that the championship has been going since 1883 with the full support of exactly the right type of people for all that time - that shamateurism kept all the component parts of the competition at broadly the same level for most of that time (although Scotland have won at Twickenham a whole five times). Also the nature of a 4/5 game league is such that you will always have something to play for.

But, really, there is nothing for rugby league to learn from it.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#38 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,494 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

I have an American wife. She has say through a few games of rugby league and saw her first game of rugby union today.

Some bits were OK, but she had the following thoughts;
- The bit where they all push each other (ruck and scrum) look a bit silly
- It was a bit boring
- They kick all the time and she prefers the running and passing

Considering she could not have told me whether it was league or union, I suggest we reassure ourselves a little. If a game of rugby league had been that dull, we would be declaring our game ruined. Instead, it was another sport and we are declaring our game ruined.

Also, we RL had a game like that, Lobby would suggest it was proof that rugby union was better.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#39 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 428 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

Comment on the BBC website:

'ray207
4 Minutes ago

Rugby league faster and more exciting than Union? Get a grip, you stop the game every 10 seconds and then even hand the ball meekly over to the opposition after six tackles. you tell me when you have seen a rugby league game where you can have ten minutes of non stop action with all the ferocity and commitment or rucks and mauls.'

:lol:

Edited by Evil Homer, 10 February 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#40 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,942 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Comment on the BBC website:

'ray207
4 Minutes ago

Rugby league faster and more exciting than Union? Get a grip, you stop the game every 10 seconds and then even hand the ball meekly over to the opposition after six tackles. you tell me when you have seen a rugby league game where you can have ten minutes of non stop action with all the ferocity and commitment or rucks and mauls.'

:lol:

the problem being that so so many people actually believe that
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users