#61 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Comment on the BBC website:

'ray207
4 Minutes ago

Rugby league faster and more exciting than Union? Get a grip, you stop the game every 10 seconds and then even hand the ball meekly over to the opposition after six tackles. you tell me when you have seen a rugby league game where you can have ten minutes of non stop action with all the ferocity and commitment or rucks and mauls.'

:lol:

This Ray probably believes in God aswell.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#62 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

why do you think there was 50k empty seats at wembley? maybe because it was played in london where the local team can only manage to get 2-3k averages of there own, why are we playing these games at wembley/millennium, when it would make more sense to play these games at old trafford/elland road, closer to where all the supporters are, What is wrong with this idea??????

What was the difference in attendence of Magic weekends in Cardiff/ Edinburgh compared to the on in Manchester? It shows location may not make much difference it could also be argued playing a game at Wembly/MS creates more interest. The other factor is that internationals seem to be more enthusiastically supported (in relative terms) than those in west yorks and Humberside

#63 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

It is not the responsibility of the of the RFL, NZRL. ARL to fund other national governing bodies nor should it be. Have a glabal governing body of the sport that is truly represented by the major nations and extend it as such. That body can organise competitions for profit and have a levy on the profits going to developing RL in regions that have genuine interest.

My point is that I'm not convinced that the money would just go simply to the three organisations.

I would expect at least a share going to the RLIF - but that could easily be a pipe dream!

#64 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

theres a 10% gate levy on all international matches that goes to the RLIF...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#65 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

Is that 10% of gate receipts? Or 10% of the profit?

Edited by dhw, 11 February 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#66 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

My point is that I'm not convinced that the money would just go simply to the three organisations.

I would expect at least a share going to the RLIF - but that could easily be a pipe dream!

If it does the RLIF would have to show greater transparency.

#67 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

10% of the price of a ticket

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#68 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Well that is a very good deal for the RLIF I would say.

#69 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Being Welsh I joined my mates in watching Framce v. Wales in my local pub. I was bored and so too were some of my Union friends Today out of curiosity I started watching Ireland v, England. I was so bored that I urned off at half time. Yet the game was watched live by 80,00 + lemmings.
Wigan V Warrington was so superior that there was no comparison.
I urge fans to make every effort to watch a live Rugby League game.

Well said and although I have not watched anything other than snippets of union in over twenty ( very very biggoted ) years! I have to confirm that I could never have agreed otherwise than with what you state, which applies now as it ever did were Union is concerned.
As I stated, I am in no position to be so critical but what little I have seen in recent times there is, apart from a better fitness display, otherwise very little difference in the union game of today today and that of years ago, it still remains generally , an absolute kickathon and a roll about exercise in tedium.

#70 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

In the interests of fairness it should be said that the conditions in Dublin were atrocious and I'm pretty sure a league test would have been a pretty dour affair with loads of one out stuff and predictable last tackle options. No fan of union am I, especially England union, but it may just be that the victory against NZ may not have been a flash in the pan. It's probably something to do with buying in the Farrell clan - and having a northerner as head coach - but they seem to have finally figured out that's it's quite a good idea having forwards who are comfortable catching the ball and carry it with the intention of winning the collision i.e. keeping their legs pumping at impact and trying like billy-o to stay on their feet as long as possible.
I noticed in the BBC commentary they've now added "line speed" to "big hit" and "offload". The list of appropriated rugby league terminology grows.

#71 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Offload and line speed fair enough but "bit hit" is generic, I've heard it used in American football.

#72 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Offload and line speed fair enough but "bit hit" is generic, I've heard it used in American football.

So Jack Gibson stole it first? Union can't even do their own larceny! A few more for the list:
"Winning the collision" and I assume "choke tackle" it's cribbed from the NRL wrestling handbook. :rolleyes:

#73 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,399 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Well said and although I have not watched anything other than snippets of union in over twenty ( very very biggoted ) years! I have to confirm that I could never have agreed otherwise than with what you state, which applies now as it ever did were Union is concerned.
As I stated, I am in no position to be so critical but what little I have seen in recent times there is, apart from a better fitness display, otherwise very little difference in the union game of today today and that of years ago, it still remains generally , an absolute kickathon and a roll about exercise in tedium.

and yet thousands lap it up.
I played tge game for many years and loved it. I much prefer watching league.
We may be in a tiny minority but there's no arguing that union presents a polished article that the masses love.
It's not a new thing in the international game either. I remember struggling to get tickets for England games in the 70's!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#74 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

So Jack Gibson stole it first? Union can't even do their own larceny! A few more for the list:
"Winning the collision" and I assume "choke tackle" it's cribbed from the NRL wrestling handbook. :rolleyes:

Les Kiss intoduced it to the Ireland national squad whilst being their defence coach. So I suspect he coined the term.

#75 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,893 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

We may be in a tiny minority but there's no arguing that union presents a polished article that the masses love.

It presents a polished something all right. But even when a match is so bad that the game's most reliable cheerleaders are forced to admit it is a poor spectacle, still the crowds come back for more in their tens of thousands.

It's pretty amazing, really.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#76 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Les Kiss intoduced it to the Ireland national squad whilst being their defence coach. So I suspect he coined the term.

I confess I didn't know he wound up in Ireland - that must have been a few years ago? I think he may have even been a team mate of Tony Rea at North Sydney?
Anyhoo I've been trying to think of some native union terminology and only come up with "box kick" which I think makes an interesting cross code comparison. The league ones tend to need little elaboration, which is basically what you want an explanation to do. Box kick? It sounds a bit like a soccer goal kick but turns out to be what scrum halves with no imagination do all the time. Ad nauseum.

Edited by Brisvegan, 11 February 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#77 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,719 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Well yes it is played with the boot and two defensive lines that are hard to break. But TBF I've sat through RL games with loads of points processions and that can be tedious, soccer games played almost exclusively in the middle third of the pitch and watching American football is the pits.

But calling union rotten doesn't solve Rugby leagues problem.

Fundamantally I think you end up loving the game you are brought up on and play - certainly my mate played Union for years and was enthralled by the England.v.Ireland game.

I bet many lads outside M62 land who now play league will love the game for their lifetimes and so it's a matter of spreading the game to as many people as possible and from that larger numbers will be interested in attending games.

I didn't hate the England.v.Ireland RU match, but I did hate watching England RL running up cricket scores againts the Welsh, France etc.

When discussing the stalemate my mate who comes to grand finals he readily wishes more tried could be scored, but says that the 15 man defensive line is so hard to break. He then said "and they can't drop the team size or it will be rugby league".

They have a great product to sell, but so do we - Superleague and the Tri-nations......

#78 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,399 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

It presents a polished something all right. But even when a match is so bad that the game's most reliable cheerleaders are forced to admit it is a poor spectacle, still the crowds come back for more in their tens of thousands.

which contrary what you think about the game, it would appear many thousands enjoy it does it not?

#79 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

The match was poor but it was enjoyable to watch (for me at least) because it was competitive and neither side ran away with it, also England hadn't won in Ireland for 10 years. It does help if you have an interest in the teams playing but I can see for the neutral the entertainment on offer was lacking.
Fides invicta triumphat

#80 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,399 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Well yes it is played with the boot and two defensive lines that are hard to break. But TBF I've sat through RL games with loads of points processions and that can be tedious, soccer games played almost exclusively in the middle third of the pitch and watching American football is the pits.

But calling union rotten doesn't solve Rugby leagues problem.

Fundamantally I think you end up loving the game you are brought up on and play - certainly my mate played Union for years and was enthralled by the England.v.Ireland game.

I bet many lads outside M62 land who now play league will love the game for their lifetimes and so it's a matter of spreading the game to as many people as possible and from that larger numbers will be interested in attending games.

I didn't hate the England.v.Ireland RU match, but I did hate watching England RL running up cricket scores againts the Welsh, France etc.

When discussing the stalemate my mate who comes to grand finals he readily wishes more tried could be scored, but says that the 15 man defensive line is so hard to break. He then said "and they can't drop the team size or it will be rugby league".

They have a great product to sell, but so do we - Superleague and the Tri-nations......

very good post

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users