Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Latest score

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SINGE

SINGE
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Anyone know?

#2 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Final Score was Oldham 34 Salford City Reds 22.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#3 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Oldham 34 Salford City Reds 22

What a difference an off season makes!!!

The appointment of Scott Naylor and Lee Spencer to the coaching team as on first impressions proved a positive move by Oldham RLFC. Oldham played a Salford Select side at Whitebank on a cold but dry(ish) afternoon, the pitch was heavy but very playable.

Scott Naylor has changed the entire attitude at the club. . . The players looked very fit, the work ethnic by every player was outstanding, the defence was awesome but the team work was the main focus of the players and coaches. the full back marshaled the defence for 80 minutes, every player clearly understood the game plan and it was executed with encouragement and passion.

The team looked like a team and the signs are very encouraging for the forthcoming season.........................

Well played Oldham!!!!!!

Roll on the Law Cup!

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#4 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Totally agree with that assessment, oldham13. I know it was only a pre season friendly (hardly a warm up game, given the conditions!), and we know from past experience about reading too much into these, but today was really impressive against a very good, young Salford outfit, who, let's not forget, finished second in their league last season behind Warrington.

Everyone ran with power, pace and purpose, there was variety in the attack and the defence was outstanding. The missed tackle count must have been in low single figures. We led 16-12 at the break, having played downhill in the first half, so we scored more points playing uphill second half, winning the match in the last 10 mins with 2 converted tries. Powerful forward drives in the second half effectively nullified the perceived disadvantage of playing up the slope.

All in all, a very good first run out. If we can build on this, it promises to be a good season, fingers crossed. Dale Bloomfield seemed to be the only casualty, looking like he took a bang on the knee. Hope he's ok.

#5 OutsiderLookingIn

OutsiderLookingIn
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

I noticed (from my wee spot in a very freezing cold!) control room, that there seemed to be a massive improvement in passion and motivation today. Even as a lay person who doesnt really understand rugby...(and one of those wimmeny things to boot!!) I noticed that when they were warming up on the north end try line, pre match, they were focussed totally on the warm ups. the assistant coach was giving it large....faster, harder, come on, keep it up, and so on...and every one of the lads was putting his heart and soul into the warm up, let alone the match that followed

i commented to my other half that I dont recall ever seeing the previous coaching staff do this , let alone with such fervour as the guy doing it today, and I dont ever recall seeing the team being so proactive before even stepping out on the starter hooter!

And best of all....the singing! There were a couple of Oldham fans who sang their heads off all the way through at the top of their lungs....havent heard that in an age at Whitebank, and it was a joy to hear (even if it was a small contingency) fans really rallying for the team! :D

#6 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

Yes all positives today. Team looked trimmer,fitter more dedicated and played positively for one another. Everyone encouraging each other and yes I noticed how positive the crowd was. Seems we've even come up with some new songs.

And a newish tunnel to boot. Looking forward to next week.
One for all and all for the one

#7 m brooksy

m brooksy
  • Coach
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

Definitely some good signs out there today. I thought Gee had a cracking game firstly at hooker and then at loose forward and was clearly the best player on the pitch. Neild and Bloomfield looked good down the left and Agoro looked very quick and strong down the right. Samuels was good with the ball but really struggled defending at centre. Crowley had a good game at second row and looked very powerful. I thought Palfrey struggled at full back and looked out of position.

There wasn't much rugby played but the conditions didn't allow expansive rugby. Good tough work throughout the game was extremely encouraging and hopefully upon a better surface we can build upon this performance next week at Rochdale.

#8 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Thought that was a really encouraging performance today ... attitude , enthusiasm and fitness levels unrecognizable from Benson years ...the influence of Scott Naylor and Lee Spencer and the willingness of the players to put in the hard graft was there for all to see . Thought everyone played their part but agree that Sammy Gee was outstanding ...hope his shoulder injury is not too serious as he could be a real gem when we get to the serious stuff ...and if he was my MOM he was pushed all the way by Danny Langtree who was equally impressive in attack and defence . Not getting carried away and no rash predictions from me but plenty more positives than negatives today and certainly reasons to be optimistic for season .

#9 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

Agree with most of the posts above. The team continued in the match, what they've been showing in taining i.e. total commitment. They are together as a unit and work hard for each other. It will be interesting to see how it goes against the Hairnets next week.

Come on you Yeds.

#10 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

I noticed (from my wee spot in a very freezing cold!) control room, that there seemed to be a massive improvement in passion and motivation today. Even as a lay person who doesnt really understand rugby...(and one of those wimmeny things to boot!!) I noticed that when they were warming up on the north end try line, pre match, they were focussed totally on the warm ups. the assistant coach was giving it large....faster, harder, come on, keep it up, and so on...and every one of the lads was putting his heart and soul into the warm up, let alone the match that followed

i commented to my other half that I dont recall ever seeing the previous coaching staff do this , let alone with such fervour as the guy doing it today, and I dont ever recall seeing the team being so proactive before even stepping out on the starter hooter!

And best of all....the singing! There were a couple of Oldham fans who sang their heads off all the way through at the top of their lungs....havent heard that in an age at Whitebank, and it was a joy to hear (even if it was a small contingency) fans really rallying for the team! :D

I commented on the same thing at the warm ups, it was good to see the coaches out on the pitch I cant remember benson wever doing that.

Salford fielded at least 8 or 9 full time contracted players, so well done lads, great display of tackling and grit, as the old saying went No Guts, No Glory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users