Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

York City Knings 34 - 12 Swinton Lions

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,847 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

A very good all round team performance by the Knights and the DR players. Stand out player for me was the prop Nicholson. He made the hard yards and put the big hits in, A totaly different team in both players and attitude, players running from deep, players running the angle and dummy runners, was a pleasure to watch. Good defence for the majority of the game, all in all a 7 out of 10 performance. Big task ahead next week at Batley

#2 Andy Knight

Andy Knight
  • Coach
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

I was really impressed with today effort and performance, enjoyed the game and what a nice change to see a Knights win.
The foundations were laid right from the start with the pack Jack,Jas and Sam putting in massive stints, defence solid and coupled with hard yards too. Then there was Hadley who's work rate was superb and the fantastic Nicholson, running strong and making massive yards with a great off load game something we have been crying out for the last two years.
It was also nice to see Jack Lee looking back to his best, it helps with your pack going forward allowing our halfs (fantastic both of them) to perform and find space for our very impressive three quarters that on today's showing look a very exciting sight of pace and power.
Great to see Tom score a couple and think he just about deserved mom in front of Nicholson, lots of powerful drives and looked a threat with the ball, with him and Joe Arundel a fine combination down the right as was the left hand side of Fordy and quick silver Briscoe.
All in all a great day after the pain and heartache of the last two seasons, fantastic to see a win and a win played with flair and quality.
Yes there is reservations over the DR system, but the Hull lads today seemed to grasp the chance to play with the Knight as a springboard to show what they can do and force their way into the First team at Hull, credit goes out to them.
Well done and thanks to all 17 lads plus Gary for a great team effort, hope there is more to come.
Wonder what the moaners from the other day think tonight?

Edited by Andy Knight, 10 February 2013 - 06:08 PM.

"Don't Waste Words, Jump to Conclusions"
Millican Dalton...1867-1947

#3 barlby knight

barlby knight
  • Coach
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Totally agree !
LOVE THE KNIGHTS , LIVE THE KNIGHTS

#4 SuperYork

SuperYork
  • Coach
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

It was a great performance! Best I've seen in a long while. Be great to keep the same DR players for a bit.

#5 Oszo

Oszo
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

Brilliant performance on a freezing cold afternoon. The best seen for years. Keep it up boys.

#6 ANDYPK

ANDYPK
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Really enjoyed today's game and the lads deserved the win also keeping visiting teams to no bonus point wherever possible is what we need to do. Thought Arundel and Lineham looked very strong today, however more pleasing was how the actual Knights players did, they showed true team spirit and commitment, the pack were immense and good to see a York pack making real yards when in possession. As for Browny, brilliant kicking game, must be soul destroying for teams. Much said about Presley, usedbto be a critic however he looked very sharp and to me is really valuable as an impact player off the bench, change of pace and direction will hurt teams and better at hooker than half back, p.s. looks like he has learnt to tackle in Aus as well.

All in all 4 pts from 6, two games in, I would have taken that anyday, tough task next time out so let's see how they go.

Posted Image

#7 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,800 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

So good to see a York team play like that today the 'D' was the best for the last couple of years and to see us pass like we did was great, a big well done to all the players and coaching staff and thanks.

#8 knightrider

knightrider
  • Coach
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Don"t want to go too over the top,but today i thought 1 to 17 were superb.To see the boys defend there line like they did today was a pleasure to watch.We looked a threat with ball in hand.Nicklas and Brown were superb for the full 80.Solid pack performance.Browns kicking game was the best i have seen by a York player in years,just so accurate.Nicholson was a man mountain for me today as was Jack Aldous.All the dr lads were superb in defence and attack.What a finisher Tom Lineham is.Every player did there bit today.
If we can play like that next week against batley we will cause them plenty of problems.The first time i will go to Batley with confidence.
Mom for me today was Matt Nicholson with Jack Aldous,Tom Lineham and Simon Brown a very close 2nd.Literally every other player wasn"t far behind those either.
Posted Image

#9 Clarence St

Clarence St
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Just watched the BBC news and the Ireland v England kick and clap report. No tries in the match due to the wet conditions was the general theme of it. Well I was at Huntington Stadium and it wasn't quite midsummer weather there either but I saw plenty of flowing rugby and some lovely tries. What a pity only 500 and odd bothered to turn out to watch it.
Man of the match for me was Matt Nicholson. He made more breaks this afternoon than I've seen a York forward make in the last two years or so. The rest of the pack weren't far behind him either and it was their all round performance which enabled the half backs and threequarters to have the excellent games which they also enjoyed.
I know it's early days yet but on today's evidence we should hope to be having a few more happy days this year than in the last couple of years. One thing that really stood out for me was that the team looked as though they had been training together and knew what was happening next. Maybe the words "good, experienced coach" are the words I should be using.

#10 White Knight

White Knight
  • Coach
  • 909 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

If we keep winning the crowds will come flocking back.

It's good to win at home, but it's better to win away!

#11 Big Ron

Big Ron
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

hope they do white knight

#12 ala

ala
  • Coach
  • 798 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

I was really impressed with today effort and performance, enjoyed the game and what a nice change to see a Knights win.
The foundations were laid right from the start with the pack Jack,Jas and Sam putting in massive stints, defence solid and coupled with hard yards too. Then there was Hadley who's work rate was superb and the fantastic Nicholson, running strong and making massive yards with a great off load game something we have been crying out for the last two years.
It was also nice to see Jack Lee looking back to his best, it helps with your pack going forward allowing our halfs (fantastic both of them) to perform and find space for our very impressive three quarters that on today's showing look a very exciting sight of pace and power.
Great to see Tom score a couple and think he just about deserved mom in front of Nicholson, lots of powerful drives and looked a threat with the ball, with him and Joe Arundel a fine combination down the right as was the left hand side of Fordy and quick silver Briscoe.
All in all a great day after the pain and heartache of the last two seasons, fantastic to see a win and a win played with flair and quality.
Yes there is reservations over the DR system, but the Hull lads today seemed to grasp the chance to play with the Knight as a springboard to show what they can do and force their way into the First team at Hull, credit goes out to them.
Well done and thanks to all 17 lads plus Gary for a great team effort, hope there is more to come.
Wonder what the moaners from the other day think tonight?

I dont recall any praising coming from you last week after the Haven defeat ?

ALA

#13 ashbourneknight

ashbourneknight
  • Coach
  • 383 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

One word comes to mind "Fantastic", tell when I've been to a good game, the old throat starting to croak,more of that please, minus the croaky throat, Oh how we've waited to witness some quality rugby by a Knights 17, job done. :D

#14 Andy Knight

Andy Knight
  • Coach
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

I dont recall any praising coming from you last week after the Haven defeat ?

ALA

I wasn't at the Whitehaven game last week and was away so didn't comment, I don't if I'm not at a game, but I do recall a lot of flack after the Hull game when some of the stick handed out after a bad defeat granted, was just a little bit too early before the season had even started.

Edited by Andy Knight, 10 February 2013 - 10:36 PM.

"Don't Waste Words, Jump to Conclusions"
Millican Dalton...1867-1947

#15 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 605 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

If we keep winning the crowds will come flocking back.

We live in hope.

#16 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

We live in hope.

With what we are planning off the field, consistently good performances like that and a bit of nice weather should see the crowds pick up.

How good were the North Yorkshire Brass Band today? Imagine that on a sunny day next to the ice cream van with the Knights racking up the points...
Posted Image

#17 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

By the way, did any of you read my programme notes today? What did you think?
Posted Image

#18 st@yck

st@yck
  • Coach
  • 653 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

Very much early days against opposition we really should be beating. Taking nothing away from the efforts put it in by all, long may it continue! Well Done!

#19 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

Great win lads, how many dual reg? sorry to ask but haven't a clue who is who these days.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#20 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

Not getting carried away, but 1 to 17 outstanding yesterday, cannot argue with Tom Lineham
getting MOM, but Nicholson, Aldous & Scott could all have got it for me.

Only worry for me is Fordy going off injured, looked like a hamstring to me, think he has
been outstanding so far, loads of work & loads of pace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users