Why stop the biff

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

It's occurred to me that stopping the biff in games is actually harming the game. As people are now following MMA in their droves why are we trying to turn our game into something it is not.
The more the referee's give silly pedantic penalty's and send people off for a bit of fisticuffs the more they are actually turning people off the sport.
If we want our professional athletes to go the way of footballers and start trying to win penalty's then we just carry on as we are. However if we let more go then our players will stay playing the game as men, and not lower themselves to petty acts

Edited by joe elliot, 10 February 2013 - 07:49 PM.

waddell

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,092 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

Probably so it doesn't filter down to under 8's who think it's ok to punch someone in the face after they've played the ball.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Probably so it doesn't filter down to under 8's who think it's ok to punch someone in the face after they've played the ball.

Which happens anyway!
Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#4 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

The jury is out on this one! Handbag swipes, sly play, thuggery, a bit of biff, where do you draw the line. One 'minor' punch can lead to a mass brawl.

#5 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,564 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

I'm all for one on one, yes this leads to a few others joining in, that's life....... It's a mans game, it doesn't need the hand baggers running in who don't actually join in, stand there acting, makes me pisssss

#6 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

Because RL isn't a martial art and nor should it be.

#7 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

It's occurred to me that stopping the biff in games is actually harming the game. As people are now following MMA in their droves why are we trying to turn our game into something it is not.
The more the referee's give silly pedantic penalty's and send people off for a bit of fisticuffs the more they are actually turning people off the sport.
If we want our professional athletes to go the way of footballers and start trying to win penalty's then we just carry on as we are. However if we let more go then our players will stay playing the game as men, and not lower themselves to petty acts

Agreed, bring back the biff!!!!

Posted Image
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#8 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

The jury is out on this one! Handbag swipes, sly play, thuggery, a bit of biff, where do you draw the line. One 'minor' punch can lead to a mass brawl.

and look at the state of origin now
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#9 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

Just to be clear, anyone who specifically gives up rugby league for MMA was never a rugby fan anyway.

If fighting is more important to someone than ball handling, running, kicking, wearing down defences, and actual rugby then it is amazing they ever watched it in the first place.

Fighting is such a small part of our game that in most matches it does happen anyway. But when it does it is nowhere near a standard that will be of interested to fans of boxing or martial arts.

#10 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:22 AM

nowt wrong with the odd scrap...but when the decend into actual running battles after every other play the ball and start calling each other out for fights..like these

then thats when it gets silly..

Edited by roughyedspud, 11 February 2013 - 10:29 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#11 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

Like it or not it is the first thing that will grab the attention of kids watching on tv. There seems to have been a huge reduction in brawls in recent years. The balance is prob about right. Maybe each side cpuld nominate one player for a half time regulared fight ha.

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,166 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Maybe each side cpuld nominate one player for a half time regulared fight ha.

You've seen this year's NHL then?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#13 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,166 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

If fighting is more important to someone than ball handling, running, kicking, wearing down defences, and actual rugby then it is amazing they ever watched it in the first place.

This.

If I want to watch fat men hit each other I'll go into Chesham on a Saturday night. I watch rugby for the rugby.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#14 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

The quickest way to cut off the supply of new players is to give parents the impression that the sport they are taking their child to play is one step removed from brawling in the street.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,092 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

The quickest way to cut off the supply of new players is to give parents the impression that the sport they are taking their child to play is one step removed from brawling in the street.

Saying that, there are some horribly abusive parents around at junior rugby.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,220 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

As a former kids' coach, I can assure you that the last thing that most parents and junior players want to see or experience is bullying and punching.

Quite right too.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#17 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Saying that, there are some horribly abusive parents around at junior rugby.

This will also put off otherparents
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#18 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 669 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

If people are genuinely more interested in bare fist boxing than rugby they are following rugby for the wrong reasons.

Cleaning up the sport in this way has been partly responsible for the increase in popularity. The same has happned in other sports.

Rugby players already play for penalties and have done for a long time, it is clearly not as prevalent as in football but it has been there for decades.

#19 brooza

brooza
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love a good punch up at a match, but wouldn't want to see it happen every week
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#20 Walter Ego

Walter Ego
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

That video of Tonga is disgusting. Particularly at the 2:24 mark with Tonga's 14 swinging at a man that clearly can't hit back.

As a heated physical contest fights are almost guaranteed to break out once in a while and as a fan I must admit I lap it up. However it should always be punished aggressively and clamped down on. As has already been said it's a contact sport not a combat sport and anything that breaks the rules shouldn't be encouraged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users