Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Why stop the biff

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

I don't want it to turn into all out fight but is it a coincidence that there is just as many views for rugby league fights as there is rugby league hits on YouTube.
waddell

#22 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

theres always a bit of biff lkely to happen in a contact sport and as long as it does not get back to the old days of thugby league then no problem the things i object to are the cheap shots like attacks to the head disguised as shoulder charges . the odd punch thrown i can live with .

the fans like to see a bit of it as can be proven whenever a yorkshire team takes on a team from the dark side and theres a bit of biff thats when the chants of yorkshire yorkshire yorkshire go up
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#23 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

The existing fans might like but what about those that we might like to recruit?

I must admit that I also enjoy it but I wish that I did not. Rugby is a tough enough game when it is played by the rules without throwing punches. I know that a bit f that is inevitable given the nature of the game but it should not be encouraged.

#24 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

The existing fans might like but what about those that we might like to recruit?

I must admit that I also enjoy it but I wish that I did not. Rugby is a tough enough game when it is played by the rules without throwing punches. I know that a bit f that is inevitable given the nature of the game but it should not be encouraged.

im not encouraging it but i understand that in a contact sport especially one as physical as rugby league then its bound to happen unless we change the game to tag rugby .
if you want to see players especially forwards who by the nature of the game have to dominate there opponent by force as thats what good hard tackling really is then of course theres going to be a reaction from time to time after all we dont want to watch touch and pass do we ?.
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#25 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

im not encouraging it but i understand that in a contact sport especially one as physical as rugby league then its bound to happen unless we change the game to tag rugby .
if you want to see players especially forwards who by the nature of the game have to dominate there opponent by force as thats what good hard tackling really is then of course theres going to be a reaction from time to time after all we dont want to watch touch and pass do we ?.

No, I agree that the referees need to bear this in mind but rugby league shouldn't be ice hockey.

I remember a quote from an NHL official satyrising the attitude that he objected to within his sport thus "I went to a fight today and a hockey game broke out".

#26 brooza

brooza
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

There's a girl just moved into my house share, a young slip of a thing, never seen a game of rugby in her life. She watched the Warrington/Catalans game and loved the hits and the fight that broke out. She's not got a clue of the rules yet, but she likes the tackles and the players' thighs. The rules will come in time.
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users