Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

There's a bit of a row brewing at the KC Stadium...

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,648 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Typically dignified response of the kind you would expect from the man.

I think the Allams have dropped a huge clanger. They could have gone on quietly trying to marginalise our club but removing the Johnny Whiteley memorabilia from the suite that bears his name has provoked a furious response. The man is held in such high regard in the city he loves that it's difficult to see the Allams coming out of this well.

Bang on. Rather ridiculously, Blunderside wanted an interview with him last night but seemingly couldn't get in touch with him.

I imagine he knew they would hit him with loaded questions to try to get him to criticise the Allams/SMC/whoever, and being the true gentleman he is, he didn't fancy taking it on.

Hull City's owners ain't gonna come out of this smelling of roses, that's for certain.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#22 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

I assume all profits from the bars and food outlets go to the SMC. Hit them in the pocket and don't eat or drink in the stadium or take your own. No one should use the JW suite until the photographs are returned.

rldfsignature.jpg

#23 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

I assume all profits from the bars and food outlets go to the SMC. Hit them in the pocket and don't eat or drink in the stadium or take your own. No one should use the JW suite until the photographs are returned.

Spot on!

I won't be buying anything in the stadium until this is sorted out ;)
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#24 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,648 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

From reading elsewhere, the food and drink outlets at the KC are franchised, so the SMC will be unaffected by any downturn in their business.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#25 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,920 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

From reading elsewhere, the food and drink outlets at the KC are franchised, so the SMC will be unaffected by any downturn in their business.

I would expect they are, the Stadium company will just rent the space to the highest bidder, however worthwhile finding out who owns the suppliers/franchisees.

Although the DW catering is done by Central Catering, they provide Pools Pies which at one time was owned by Dave Whelan. Their is often wheels within wheels. You may find that there are links back somewhere along the line, or connections with business outside of the stadium that can be boycotted.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#26 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,648 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

The Allams have told Hull FC they will put the pictures back tomorrow and keep them in place for £500 per annum.

Well, that'll certainly help towards the £200k annual debt that the previously profitable SMC has mysteriously incurred since the Allams took over in 2010.

#27 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

Time to look at the small print!
Is that for any amount of pics?
Maybe one 6ft x 4ft of JW would only be a tenner!
Value for money ?
:)
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#28 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

Sadly i think this is more a personal vendetta against AP and from what i heard was very much to do with the rights of ownership of the lease for Hull FC to play at the KC which is why i suggested you Hull FC fans do a bit of digging.QQ When AP bought the club from KH any idea how much monies were involved and what he actually paid for:)CM

I know there was a seven-figure image rights bill from HMRC that shed not told him about!
Posted Image

#29 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

I know there was a seven-figure image rights bill from HMRC that shed not told him about!

To be fair it's not a secret! You me and everyone else knows about it, he'd have to have some pretty incompetent lawyers doing his due diligence for them not to have known about it

#30 tw15

tw15
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

It's not my battle, but if I were a FC fan, I'd go to the next match with photos of Johnny Whiteley and some blutak (or superglue/sellotape) and stick them up in the JW room and anywhere else.

If the fans kept doing that for every match, I think the powers that be would give in after a while.

Edited by tw15, 14 February 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#31 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

It's not my battle, but if I were a FC fan, I'd go to the next match with photos of Johnny Whiteley and some blutak (or superglue/sellotape) and stick them up in the JW room and anywhere else.

If the fans kept doing that for every match, I think the powers that be would give in after a while.

Well I was hoping the Hull Daily Mail would have a bit more balls about them and stick up for one of our city's sporting heroes a bit more than just running a story about it for one day. Quite frankly, it's outrageous that the SMC want to charge for this. It's the tip of the iceberg with regards to what the Allams are doing to try and get hold of the stadium.

Since the Hull Daily Mail won't sway, and Hull FC apparently can't say anything about the agreement (but apparently the SMC can, which basically means Hull City can but Hull FC can't... that's fair!), maybe our friendly rugby papers could do something? I reckon if League Express ran a story on it, and they offered a free Johnny Whiteley mask made of card in the paper, their sales intake in Hull would be huge for that week!
Posted Image

#32 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,648 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

Now it's the Council's fault... :rolleyes:

#33 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

The Allams have told Hull FC they will put the pictures back tomorrow and keep them in place for £500 per annum.

Well, that'll certainly help towards the £200k annual debt that the previously profitable SMC has mysteriously incurred since the Allams took over in 2010.

Just have a quick whip round, thats not a great amount to raise and anything over you can give to a charity of Johnny Whiteleys choice.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#34 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,648 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

Allams have now said they're considering handing control of the SMC back to the Council.

Everytime they release a statement, it sounds like it's from a different party.

#35 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Just have a quick whip round, thats not a great amount to raise and anything over you can give to a charity of Johnny Whiteleys choice.

Turns out the HDM got that wrong (shock). £500 per picture per annum and only on match days.
Posted Image

#36 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

Turns out the HDM got that wrong (shock). £500 per picture per annum and only on match days.

That puts quite a different complection on it.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#37 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Hasn't £10,800 been quoted?

rldfsignature.jpg

#38 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Basically the SMC are trying to find new ways to plug the loss of income. Instead of trying to find new avenues to bring in money, they're trying to extort the current tenants. Since one of the tenants is owned by the same people as the SMC, that leaves us!
Posted Image

#39 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Whether it's 5 pence or 500 quid if our club have told them to ram it then I'm 100% behind them.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users