Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New players Wanted

Wigan St Cuthberts

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 adelemolloy

adelemolloy
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

OPEN AGE RUGBY PLAYERS NEEDED (open age)

Wigan St Cuthberts Open Age Squad are recruiting new team members. We are looking for lads of 17 years old and above who are interested in playing conference level rugby league, getting fit and being part of a successful squad.
Cuthberts were promoted to conference level rugby last season and for our first ever season in this division and we are hoping to recruit some new lads who can commit and make our team even stronger. We train with qualified fitness professionals and as a member of our squad you will have access to a fully qualified physiotherapist. Everyone is welcome here at St Cuthberts and we look forward to hearing from you! Anyone interested please contact our coach Warren Molloy on: 07790 379779 or mr.mrsmolloy@yahoo.co.uk
Many Thanks. Please don't hesitate to contact us for more info!
(Training: Tue/Thurs and games are played on Saturday)

#2 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Wigan St Cuthberts Open Age Squad are recruiting new team members. We are looking for lads of 17 years old and above who are interested in playing conference level rugby league, getting fit and being part of a successful squad.
Cuthberts were promoted to conference level rugby last season and for our first ever season in this division and we are hoping to recruit some new lads who can commit and make our team even stronger. We train with qualified fitness professionals and as a member of our squad you will have access to a fully qualified physiotherapist. Everyone is welcome here at St Cuthberts and we look forward to hearing from you! Anyone interested please contact our coach Warren Molloy on: 07790 379779 or mr.mrsmolloy@yahoo.co.uk

You might have left this a bit late - season starts two weeks on Saturday!

#3 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Wonder if there is some player apathy creeping in lads dont want to travel and committ, seems to be a problem across lots of clubs these days.

I dont think its down to summer rugby either to be honest just a sign of the times

#4 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Good luck in your new adventure but I thing you have got a little confused, you haven't been promoted you have simply been excepted into a different league due to meeting the criteria you have already beat a few top premier teams not to long ago in your successful cup run. the NCL has enjoyed some good success in the national cup 4/5 years ago beat going off recent form you will find the top regionals have took over now

#5 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Not many ncl teams entered the national cup in the last couple of years for numerous reasons.
But i think if the top nil teams did enter they would beat the top regional sides nine times out of ten - in my opinion that is.

#6 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Not many ncl teams entered the national cup in the last couple of years for numerous reasons.
But i think if the top nil teams did enter they would beat the top regional sides nine times out of ten - in my opinion that is.

Siddle are one of the best teams in the NCL and they entered last year and got beat by a regional team, the year before all the NCL teams entered and for two years i think didnt even get a team in the final, no shame in that but you have to give the regional side some credit, either their standards have improved are the NCL standards have dropped

you simply can not dismiss fact

so you kind of lost your argument about one off games and NCL winning nine out of ten games dont you think?

#7 Back In The Good Old Days

• Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Due to the petty politics in our game siddal also played a league game on the same day as their national cup game last season so no doubt this affected their performances on the day.
You would have to check all through the fixtures just to ascertain how many regional sides were pitted against NCL sides throughout the duration of the competition as it may well be that the NCL teams drew one another in the early rounds.

As i stated in my regional post in my opinion the early NCL teams would win 9 out of ten of these games.
When you look at some of the regional leagues there are only ten teams in their division and they are therefore playing a hell of a lot less than their NCL counterparts.
Also take a look at those regional sides that have stepped up into the NCL havnt bounced through the divisions and into the premier division overnight. Even your own club whom had dominated the regional league that they were in for several yrs only got promotion from division two at the second attempt!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if i were a betting man my money would go on the NCL team nine times out of ten.

#8 Back In The Good Old Days

• Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Sbull

New York must be dull if your spending so much time posting on here!!!!!

#9 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Sbull

New York must be dull if your spending so much time posting on here!!!!!

i flew back yesterday, new york is a good place to visit but its to much like London,

at the time you refer to the NCL teams were dominating the national cup, but that was several years ago, are you saying things can not change?
if all teams entered the National cup now i would place my £1 bet i normally reserve for the grand national on one of the regionals winning,

you may have a point on Regionals play fewer games but that isnt there fault, they can only play whats in front of them,
if the ncl scrapped the playoff are exteded the time allowing teams a bit more time to fulfill there games instead of asking amitures to play three games in a week it might of been different.
but to coin a phrase what does it say in the paper, regionals have dominated the cup over recent years, this isnt my opinion its fact,,

couldnt agrre more reference the petty politics,

#10 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Yes I agree the Top regional teams don't get the high standard game every weeeeeeeek....hang on, don't the top regional teams all play in the same leagues.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#11 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Due to the petty politics in our game siddal also played a league game on the same day as their national cup game last season so no doubt this affected their performances on the day.
You would have to check all through the fixtures just to ascertain how many regional sides were pitted against NCL sides throughout the duration of the competition as it may well be that the NCL teams drew one another in the early rounds.

As i stated in my regional post in my opinion the early NCL teams would win 9 out of ten of these games.
When you look at some of the regional leagues there are only ten teams in their division and they are therefore playing a hell of a lot less than their NCL counterparts.
Also take a look at those regional sides that have stepped up into the NCL havnt bounced through the divisions and into the premier division overnight. Even your own club whom had dominated the regional league that they were in for several yrs only got promotion from division two at the second attempt!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if i were a betting man my money would go on the NCL team nine times out of ten.

10 teams in their division + National Cup, Yorkshire Cup & District Cups.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#12 Back In The Good Old Days

• Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

see below list of national cup final results from 1980, please remember the NCL only had ten clubs in it initially and has now grown to 50 clubs (i think).

work out for yourself sbull those winners that are now NCL clubs or were when they won the National Cup

National Cup Winners

2008-2009 Leigh East

v

Queens

2007-08

East Hull

v

Wath Brow Hornets
2006-07

Ince Rose Bridge

v

Halton Simms Cross
2005-06

Leigh MR

v

Skirlaugh
2004-05

Skirlaugh

v

Wath Brow
2003-04

Oldham St Annes

v

Wath Brow
2002-03

Oldham St Annes

v

West Hull
2001-02

West Hull

v

Ince Rose Bridge
2000-01

Featherstone Lions

v

Thatto Heath Crusaders
1999-00

Skirlaugh

v

Ideal Isberg
1998-99

Wath Brow Hornets

v

Skirlaugh
1997-98

Redhill

v

Ideal ABI
1996-97

Dudley Hill

v

Ellenborough Rangers
1995-96

Skirlaugh

v

Ellenborough Rangers
1994-95

Woolston

v

West Hull
1993-94

Saddleworth

v

Thatto Heath
1992-93

Saddleworth

v

Hensingham
1991-92

Hull Dockers

v

Skirlaugh
1990-91

Saddleworth

v

Hull Dockers
1989-90

Egremont

v

Saddleworth
1988-89

Crosfields

v

Kells
1987-88

St Patricks

v

Elland
1986-87

Thatto Heath

v

Heworth
1985-86

Mysons

v

Millom
1984-85

Jubilee

v

West Hull
1983-84

Dudley Hill

v

Mysons
1982-83

Leigh MW

v

Lock Lane
1981-82

Pilkington Recs

v

Milford
1980-81

Beecroft & Wightman

v

Lock Lane

#13 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for proving my point, Back to the good old days

The NCL havent won the cup since 2008 :lol: and correct me if im wrong the NCL have only won 1 in the last 6 going off these stats?

im from an NCL club as you know and believe it or not im not trying to put our league down but my head isnt in the sand,
all im saying that this current moment in time there is a bettert standard of rugby being played elswhere,, bitter pill to swallow but its true

the odd team raising its game and getting to the final and perhaps winning use to be a good argument, but come on give credit where its due, 1 in 6!!!!

#14 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

i flew back yesterday, new york is a good place to visit but its to much like London,

at the time you refer to the NCL teams were dominating the national cup, but that was several years ago, are you saying things can not change?
if all teams entered the National cup now i would place my £1 bet i normally reserve for the grand national on one of the regionals winning,

you may have a point on Regionals play fewer games but that isnt there fault, they can only play whats in front of them,
if the ncl scrapped the playoff are exteded the time allowing teams a bit more time to fulfill there games instead of asking amitures to play three games in a week it might of been different.
but to coin a phrase what does it say in the paper, regionals have dominated the cup over recent years, this isnt my opinion its fact,,

I dont think anybody can deny that the top four of the Pennine League and the top Three from the NWC could have competed at the highest level of the NCL in recent years and rightly or wrongly you could say that the team that wins the cup is the best side in the country But Bradford City have just got to the Capital One cup final (Old League Cup ) beating a few premier league sides on their way but I would not say they where the best football team in the country.

#15 Back In The Good Old Days

• Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

I remember st pats winning the national cup whilst rooted to the foot of the NCL when their was only one division.

Having played and coached in both regional leagues and in the NCL from my experience the intensity and standard of rugby is far better in the NCL without a doubt. But again that's my opinion.
I also know from my own experiences that teams also prioritize the league above cup games especially if your in the promotion or play off race.

#16 Back In The Good Old Days

• Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Sbull

As your coach what he would sooner achieve this season:
To win the national cup or the NCL cup or
To secure your first teams premier division status.

I know what his answer will be before you ask him.

#17 Back In The Good Old Days

• Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

If the standards dropping in the NCL why are the regional teams that have entered over the ten years doing so?

Fifty teams in the NCL now - they must be doing something right from an initial concept of ten teams only. Gotta be doing something right.

#18 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Sbull

As your coach what he would sooner achieve this season:
To win the national cup or the NCL cup or
To secure your first teams premier division status.

I know what his answer will be before you ask him.

he would probably choose to secure his place in the Premier, he would also probably of liked to enter a team in the national cup but due to politics
it wouldnt be practical.

when the regionals compete in the national cup i asume they still go all out to win there Division so its exacaly the same for all leagues,
the nartional cup has always been fiercely contested and i feel its unfair to down grade it now just because the regionals have dominated it over the last 6 years.

#19 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

I remember st pats winning the national cup whilst rooted to the foot of the NCL when their was only one division.

Having played and coached in both regional leagues and in the NCL from my experience the intensity and standard of rugby is far better in the NCL without a doubt. But again that's my opinion.
I also know from my own experiences that teams also prioritize the league above cup games especially if your in the promotion or play off race.

played in both myself and over all i totally agree the standard is higher in the NCL, no argument there , but it still doesnt change black and white facts,

the top regionals sides CURRENTLY are better than the top NCL sides its there in black and white, i would love to be proven wrong, but what does it say in the paper?

#20 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

I dont think anybody can deny that the top four of the Pennine League and the top Three from the NWC could have competed at the highest level of the NCL in recent years and rightly or wrongly you could say that the team that wins the cup is the best side in the country But Bradford City have just got to the Capital One cup final (Old League Cup ) beating a few premier league sides on their way but I would not say they where the best football team in the country.

if they played in a different league alltogether and could only compete agaist the premier teams in the cup and they won 5 out the last six, what would you say them?

the only time that all teams can meet and fight it out is the national cup so surly the regionals must have a strong case

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users