• 2,573 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Do you mean Simon Haughton Mark?

#22 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

Gareth morton. .we'll get there between us!

#23 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 904 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

Power to the people!!
Swinton Popular Front

I thought we were the Swinton Peoples Front..........or the Peoples Front of Swinton...........not the Swinton Popular Front........splitters!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#24 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

The only people we hate more than Salford are the Swinton Peoples front!

I thought you'd have known that

Ha ha

#25 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Personally i think playing within the spirit of the rules thing that people have been spouting is nonsense. rules are there and as long as they are not broken i dont see a problem. For people to interpret and give their spin on it seems very old fashioned.

the world has changed no longer can taking the moral high ground be an acceptable excuse for failure.

look at the greatest leaders throughout history! Churchill, Bismark, Stalin, Napoleon, Thatcher, as well as military theorists such as Jomini and Clausewitz. do you think they would have achieved their goals by being soft and playing within this so called spirit. No.

its about time we all woke up to 2013 and reality.

only losers play within the spirit. winners play to win.

What about the concept of the spirit of Swinton Lions - what it means to wear the shirt? It should be an important concept for the inspiration of players and supporters.

What makes you believe filling the team with 8 kids from Warrington (Birkett and Hulme should be included along with the 6 signings prior to the Workington match), added to 5 further random Warrington players on dual registration on any given week, is an effective way to "play to win"? It isn't. At best any win is rendered a hollow win. The best way to "play to win" is to put the work in off-the-field to get attendances up, increase income and be able to attract and retain a better quality of player on an ongoing basis.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#26 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

What about the concept of the spirit of Swinton Lions - what it means to wear the shirt? It should be an important concept for the inspiration of players and supporters.

What makes you believe filling the team with 8 kids from Warrington (Birkett and Hulme should be included along with the 6 signings prior to the Workington match), added to 5 further random Warrington players on dual registration on any given week, is an effective way to "play to win"? It isn't. At best any win is rendered a hollow win. The best way to "play to win" is to put the work in off-the-field to get attendances up, increase income and be able to attract and retain a better quality of player on an ongoing basis.

At last a reply with a bit of sanity attached.

#27 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 904 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

OK then chaps. Lets say your now in charge and you send all our players back to where they came from. What's your next move?

#28 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

OK then chaps. Lets say your now in charge and you send all our players back to where they came from. What's your next move?

Using homegrown players would be a start not just warrington reserves.

#29 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Use homegrown players like Halifax and Fev who are our main critics on here...teams packed with super league cast offs or cherry picked from less financially strong teams like us?
There are no homegrown players because......go on guess...they are all in super league academies already. From a young age. Do you know from where Gene Ormsby hails? Audenshaw. So surely he should have signed for Oldham or us? No hes in Warringtons academy.

So super league cant afford reserve teams yet we can?

Its great having a constant dig at the club for doing this but its a league wide debate.

Simple statements of growing income and raising home grown talent are so easy to make. They are so easy to make they seem to need repeating time and again.

I would love a team of 13 locals . Make it happen I challenge you.

By the way...where do you think John Stopford or Albert Blan came from? It wasnt Swinton. Ken Gowers? Is it beyond comprehension that we have never ever relied on locals? We have always had a smattering. We still have. Retention of players is something that every club struggles with.

Finally,I am not arguing that DR is the answer. I am not saying PhiIl or Julian are wrong. I just dont think the answers are as easy as all the detractors suggest.

#30 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

I'm just so angry that decisions made by Super League clubs have affected the credibility of what was a very good competition in 2012.I had been so looking forward to this season for months and now my love for the game and the club has been shattered to such an extent that I no longer have the enthusiasm to attend games.

Edited by duffymoon, 12 February 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#31 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

I'm just so angry that decisions made by Super League clubs have affected the credibility of what was a very good competition in 2012.I had been so looking forward to this season for months and now my love for the game and the club has been shattered to such an extent that I no longer have the enthusiasm to attend games.

The rfl need to take note of people like yourself duffymoon otherwise the championship will wither away and the supporters along with it.

#32 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

The rfl need to take note of people like yourself duffymoon otherwise the championship will wither away and the supporters along with it.

At long last the penny has dropped Julian " The RFL need to take note"...so at last you accept that the problem was of there making and not Swinton's.

Took a while but I am pleased to see you now accept who is to blame and perhaps you will now get off the back of the club.

Mark Richardson's post is exactly correct, if we were to go back to pre dual reg where would we have looked for our players from.?

#33 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Name 3 players who are from Swinton who would be good enough for this level of rugby.

1 - Watson
2 - ?
3 - ?

And how can we have home grown players without having a youth set up which would cost millions.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#34 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 904 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

So it's ok to use "Warrington" reserves then whilst you are picking the side too?
Tell you what, I'll let you tell me who you would have brought in to bolster our team even before the season started!

Whenever your ready..........

#35 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

So it's ok to use "Warrington" reserves then whilst you are picking the side too?
Tell you what, I'll let you tell me who you would have brought in to bolster our team even before the season started!

Whenever your ready..........

No its not ok to use "warrington reserves" i'd use homegrown players, whom maybe or maybe not good enough but at least we would still have our own identity and not just be a feeder club for warrington.

#36 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

The rfl need to take note of people like yourself duffymoon otherwise

There's about as much chance of the RFL listening to people like us as there is of someone like Rev Ian Paisley becoming the next pope.
The RFL wear blinkers every day from dawn till dusk don't you know?

#37 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

There's about as much chance of the RFL listening to people like us as there is of someone like Rev Ian Paisley becoming the next pope.
The RFL wear blinkers every day from dawn till dusk don't you know?

They can ignore us at their own peril cause unless they change the dr system soon rl as we know it will cease to exist, mind you thats what they probably what they want a superleague and the rest of rl in the lower divisions go hang.

#38 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 904 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

No its not ok to use "warrington reserves" i'd use homegrown players, whom maybe or maybe not good enough but at least we would still have our own identity and not just be a feeder club for warrington.

So who are they, these "home grown players"? You can't just keep saying the same thing. Please try to be more specific!
Could you please give me an example when we have EVER had a team of "home grown"players or ANY team that has?

Enlighten me and I may be a believer.........

#39 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

Whenever have you Caine and YOU Philh been proper Swinton fans, you come on this site pontificating about increasing attendences and yet never go to matches. Lets get down to the nitty gritty shall we.How many times have we produced decent young talent only to see the vultures step in and whisk them away Andy Coley, Martin Gleeson to name a couple. You go on about local talent and also not playing to the rules. Well how about Alex Hirst then. Local lad signs acontract at the start of the season, Has a good game for Scotland, spotted by a super league team.and taken off us without getting a penny for him. How on earth can we hope to build a stable team when super league can take who ever they fancy. There is no local talent in the area. The only team is Folly Lane and any up and coming players are snaffled again by super league mainly Salford but also Wigan [harrison hanson]. We also can't compete with the likes of Fax and Fev etc for the better players and guess why? because our fan base isn't big enough due to armchair fans not going, remind you of anyone? If the truth is known if you took John Kidds support away we would probably be able to pay the ball boy. No its not an ideal situation but it's the only way we have a chance of competing at the cuurent level. And just to let you know the facts about local talent The great Swinton team of the sixties,Champions in 1963 /64 and 1964/65 was made up of 80% Wiganers.

#40 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

At last some truth and common sense.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users