Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

playing within the 'spirit' of RL

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Christophe

Christophe
  • Coach
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:55 AM

Great post Glengarry
he's not the messiah..he's a very naughty boy

#42 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

I await the response with anticipation.!!

#43 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

Whenever have you Caine and YOU Philh been proper Swinton fans, you come on this site pontificating about increasing attendences and yet never go to matches. Lets get down to the nitty gritty shall we.How many times have we produced decent young talent only to see the vultures step in and whisk them away Andy Coley, Martin Gleeson to name a couple. You go on about local talent and also not playing to the rules. Well how about Alex Hirst then. Local lad signs acontract at the start of the season, Has a good game for Scotland, spotted by a super league team.and taken off us without getting a penny for him. How on earth can we hope to build a stable team when super league can take who ever they fancy. There is no local talent in the area. The only team is Folly Lane and any up and coming players are snaffled again by super league mainly Salford but also Wigan [harrison hanson]. We also can't compete with the likes of Fax and Fev etc for the better players and guess why? because our fan base isn't big enough due to armchair fans not going, remind you of anyone? If the truth is known if you took John Kidds support away we would probably be able to pay the ball boy. No its not an ideal situation but it's the only way we have a chance of competing at the cuurent level. And just to let you know the facts about local talent The great Swinton team of the sixties,Champions in 1963 /64 and 1964/65 was made up of 80% Wiganers.

Excellent comments throughout - and to remind the doubters we loved those lads when they pulled on the Swinton shirt and won us trophies

#44 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

I've decided not to go to the 50th anniversary Dinner now I know they were all Wiganers. :rolleyes: :D :)
Posted Image

#45 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Does this mean I've been a pie eater for nearly 40yrs and never known?

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#46 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Don't think the Wiganer percentage was quite as high as 80%, maybe more like 50-60%
Nothing usual about having a few pie eaters wearing the Lions' colours back then. Don't forget Wigan was a far more rugby league driven town back then than perhaps today. Central Park had huge crowds all the time, 15,000 - 20,000?
And being a fairly big town in RL terms meant that any local players couldn't all play for their hometown club, hence the main reason they ventured to other Lancashire clubs close by in smaller towns.
Lions Wiganers from that era who easily spring to mind are Albert Blan, John Speed, Peter Norburn, John Stopford, George Parkinson (?) Ken Gowers was 'Wigan born' but was always considered a Rochdalian as his dad Walter played for Hornets in the '20s. Probably quite a few more - would have to delve through old match programmes etc.
A good idea, ask Steve Wild about that even though it's before his time. He's the 'history man', he'll have the 'knowledge'
Locals who turned out for the Lions back then were Peter Smethurst, Graham Williams, Reg Williams Dave Robinson, Brian Robinson, Terry Cramont, Barry Simpson, Derek Whitehead, Peter Kenny, John Carey, Vic Lawton, Brian Critchley (?), Mal Cummings. Apologies if I've missed out your dad/uncle/brother/cousin or whatever.

#47 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

I think you will find Keith, Critchley was a wiganer as was Daz Davis , Ken Halliwell, Harold Bate, Derick Clarke, some of the locals you named were only reserves or came late sixties early seventies.

#48 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

I think you will find Keith, Critchley was a wiganer as was Daz Davis , Ken Halliwell, Harold Bate, Derick Clarke, some of the locals you named were only reserves or came late sixties early seventies.

I think Derek Clarke was a Widnesian. Yes I thought Ken Halliwell was a Wiganer too.

#49 Christophe

Christophe
  • Coach
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

My uncle Derek Whitehead was in Championship winning A team in 62/63 season. Born and bred at 727 Bolton Road Pendlebury.opposite Boardmans newsagents next to Zebra crossing. Played on wing in first team later in 60s before moving to Oldham then on to Wire and GB. Ex Folly of course.

Edited by Christophe, 14 February 2013 - 07:22 AM.

#50 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

My uncle Derek Whitehead was in Championship winning A team in 62/63 season. Born and bred at 727 Bolton Road Pendlebury.opposite Boardmans newsagents next to Zebra crossing. Played on wing in first team later in 60s before moving to Oldham then on to Wire and GB. Ex Folly of course.

Your Uncle Derek had easily the best side step I ever saw. He was two years above me at 'Crommy' and was in the same year as Graham Williams.

#51 dinosore

dinosore
  • Coach
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Ken Halliwell was definitely a Wiganer, but i thought Daz Davies was a Leyther.

#52 Christophe

Christophe
  • Coach
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Your Uncle Derek had easily the best side step I ever saw. He was two years above me at 'Crommy' and was in the same year as Graham Williams.

Thanks Blue Monkey.. It's his birthday today and I appreciate yr comments

#53 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Im glad this thread has gone down this road as we are now talking about RL again. yipee.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#54 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Don't worry Barnie, somebody's bound to come on here later talking tosh about DR after a belly full of ale! They wouldn't want your blood pressure coming down too much!! :lol:

#55 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Terry Cramont, .

Just noticed my error, should be Terry CRAMANT, not Cramont

#56 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

i was in the same Cromwell rd team as your uncle. That was the team of 1959 ,your uncle was fullback and i played second row. Graham Williams was scrum half. It was one of the best school teams the area ever produced.Oh for the memories.

#57 Christophe

Christophe
  • Coach
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

Thanks Glenngary..great days..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users