Get the League Express Yearbook 2013/14, The Forbidden Game, All Blacks to All Golds and many more great Rugby League books at knock down prices in our Easter Sale on now at www.totalrl.com/shop but hurry, all offers end Sunday 27th April.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New Pope

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#101 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,194 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

Severus has just saved me a lot of typing. Agree wholeheartedly with everything you said. Organised religions are vile organisations and a stain on humanity. We really should have outgrown them by now.

agree entirely.

#102 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

Well said Severus. Unfortunately the religious always inflict their views on others and always the most vulnerable ie children. One of the worst
things this government has allowed are faith schools
. Only a small step from the nauseous home schooling.
I'm a couple of generations social division will make a once fairly tolerant society not a pleasant place to live. We will not have the all encompassing patriotism of the USA to hold it together.

But the damage was done in 1944. Once the 1944 Education Act allowed for separate faith schools, we were set on a path to this inevitable consequence.

Interestingly, I was taught at college that the wording of the Act that allowed for R.C. and C.o.E. schools was included to ensure that the Welsh non-conformists would support the Act and so get it through parliament. It was obvious to this student 40 years ago that, if R.C. and C.o.E. schools were allowed, all other faiths would eventually demand their own schools.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#103 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,706 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

But the damage was done in 1944. Once the 1944 Education Act allowed for separate faith schools, we were set on a path to this inevitable consequence.

Interestingly, I was taught at college that the wording of the Act that allowed for R.C. and C.o.E. schools was included to ensure that the Welsh non-conformists would support the Act and so get it through parliament. It was obvious to this student 40 years ago that, if R.C. and C.o.E. schools were allowed, all other faiths would eventually demand their own schools.

IMO religion has no place in school. If parents want kids taught religiion then a period should be set aside for them to go to their various places of worship to learn about it - in the same way kids are taken to the baths to learn to swim.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#104 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

religious education is or should be an important part of the curriculum, although as part of a broader humanities structure.

It is important not to confuse religious education, which is learning about religion and belief. with religious instruction which is indoctrination into it.

Religion is woven into the fabric of history, custom and culture in all sorts of ways. Understanding and having knowledge of what in many ways governs the lives of us and those around us is very important...and interesting.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#105 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

It's worth pointing out that a number of people, myself included were brought up Catholic, quite strictly too. As is almost inevitable most of my friends and family are Catholic too.

I certainly don't see anything comparable to anti-semitism in the comments, or should I point out any real inaccuracies. The Catholic church lends itself to ridicule by how it acts and what it does. The big difference with anti-semitism is that it is the Church and it's hierarchy that is largely ridiculed whereas Jewish people themselves are targetted with anti-semitism and racially as well, often being characteristics of how they look or how they are perceived to act. The Jewish religion itself or their Rabbis are almost never the focus of the criticism.

#106 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

the act at the time was seen as a progressive piece of legislation, part of the new world we were about to enter after world war 2.

it gave working class children access to further education in the days before comprehensive schools( a policy enacted by Margaret Thatcher when she was minister of education).
The act said that the school day must start with 'an act of corporate worship', a religion based assembly. History overtook it.

When I was at grammar school in the 60s assembly was a hymn, the lords prayer: A bible reading by a prefect,a bollocking from the head about some mass indiiscretion or other, the sports results, and the names of those he wanted to see immediately after assembly(i.e. for the cane or an extra bollocking

I liked singing the hymns, still do, and there was something about the rhythmic incantation of the prayer.

But the world changed leaving the 1944 act behind it, and a good thing too despite its good intentions.

School assemblies are still very important though.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#107 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

agree entirely.

Rugby League both here and in Australasia would by now be long gone and buried but for the social involvement in the early and then continuing 20 c years of the churches , especially the Catholic one,

Wigan St Patricks actually started its life because the priest of the time in Scholes sorted the individual coloured shirts the players had by throwing them into a tub and dying them all the same - black....to make a team....

The current Pope might like R U after all that , especially if people tell him that it's the game that has kept the lower classes in honest sporting endeavour fore all these years

#108 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

That priest story from Bradford, is genuinely like something from Father Ted.

The wonderful Bishop Len Brennan.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#109 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,706 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

Severus has just saved me a lot of typing. Agree wholeheartedly with everything you said. Organised religions are vile organisations and a stain on humanity. We really should have outgrown them by now.

Except for the Sally Army who do an enormous amount of good in the world.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#110 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Good hearted people will do good things. Empathy is no result of religion, it preceeds it. Organisations like the salvation army would exist if religion didn't.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#111 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,404 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

Except for the Sally Army who do an enormous amount of good in the world.

There's an awful lot wrong with them. Just cos they write good tunes doesn't make them a good organisation.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#112 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 8,997 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

Good hearted people will do good things. Empathy is no result of religion, it preceeds it. Organisations like the salvation army would exist if religion didn't.

Possibly. Possibly not.

Atheists champion the idea that only religion can make good people do bad things and that good people will do good thinsg anyway. In other words, any good deed linked to religion does not count. It is nice rhetoric, but as most people are a mixture of good and bad and have many different motives (including alturistic love), it is little more.

The religious champion that line that people who believe in nothing can believe in anything. In other words, if you do not have a structure for your morality, then any passing dogma can catch people and there have been a few of those in the C20th. It is basically the same argument with the same words and equally hard to disprove or take seriously.

Neither side are entitiled to have it both ways.

What little difference in morality there does seem to be is that practising Christians take sins of ommission slightly more seriously, Martin Luther King's good men doing nothing. Whether that comes before or after religion is a guess.

#113 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

I wouldn't say that good deeds from religious don't count or that arheists occupy some moral high ground. I would say that by promoting sexism, homophobia, slavery and genocide that the holy books dont provide very good moral guidance. I also find the absence of any 'command' to not harm children a little worrying but then it does explain a great deal.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#114 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

Possibly. Possibly not.

Atheists champion the idea that only religion can make good people do bad things and that good people will do good thinsg anyway. In other words, any good deed linked to religion does not count. It is nice rhetoric, but as most people are a mixture of good and bad and have many different motives (including alturistic love), it is little more.

I don't agree with that. I don't think atheist champion that idea that only religion turns good men bad any more than human nature. What it does do is them a platform to do bad. Also a good deed is a good deed whatever the motive. Some religions like to use good deeds to propagate their doctrine whereas others simply preach the merit of doing good.
Fides invicta triumphat

#115 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,164 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

The wonderful Bishop Len Brennan.

Several members of my family are very religious and know him. What they have told me this weekend makes him appear to be exactly like that...and I mean exactly. :laugh:

#116 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,404 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

Atheists champion the idea that only religion can make good people do bad things

You're a scientist, you deal in facts.

The above is a FACT not a fact.

Please think about the difference and come back when you have pondered.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#117 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 8,997 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

I don't agree with that. I don't think atheist champion that idea that only religion turns good men bad any more than human nature. What it does do is them a platform to do bad. Also a good deed is a good deed whatever the motive. Some religions like to use good deeds to propagate their doctrine whereas others simply preach the merit of doing good.

Of course, people vary. It is only one positiion on each side. The favourite Dawkins quote which finds favour on this forum is along the lines "for good people to do evil things, that takes religion".

All it really requires for good people to do bad things is for the responsibility to be taken out of their hands. This is why the authority of a uniform or white coat is enough. Many religious people would like to cite religion as the antidote to being easily led by such figures and I think they are equally misguided.

#118 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 15,989 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

A shocking case of religious tolerance that should be stamped on before it spreads.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#119 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,620 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

Could be interesting as for some Muslims setting foot in a church is haram.

#120 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 15,989 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

Internet reactions to the new Pope

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users