Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Theo Fages stopped breathing on the pitch after being concussed by Julian Bousquet.

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,601 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

just a word about the officiating at the game - well done Mr Thaler, Ian Smith & the linos for an excellent display - one day maybe all games will be officiated this way (go on Salford fans, shoot me down...)

It's easy to referee a game where the result isn't really in doubt.
The referee at Cas showed no bottle (same old Rangi) and James Child is still the same old moron when making decisions (Cross red correct, but in binning Clarke, who did nothing wrong, ruined the game; yet Wilkin can come in and throw windmills?).
Posted Image

#22 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

It's easy to referee a game where the result isn't really in doubt.
The referee at Cas showed no bottle (same old Rangi) and James Child is still the same old moron when making decisions (Cross red correct, but in binning Clarke, who did nothing wrong, ruined the game; yet Wilkin can come in and throw windmills?).

sorry Wellsy, beg to differ mate - how can a 'result not really be in doubt' when 12 men are forced (by their own making) of playing against 13 men for 77 minutes of a game between two professional teams ? Fact is the Cats were well re organised by Lo Fray and the Reds playing tactics were well off the mark - I can probably think of maybe only three times when Salford actually tried to stretch play to the wings with the man advantage for example ?

#23 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

Stand off like is son next time you are in bar wembley have a look at the picture of the french touring team in sydney 1990 (The one that Jacques coached) and you will see him in the picture.After i heard about this incident it brought me back to the days a few years ago between the bitterness between UTC and PIA:( however i agree with you it would not have been intended (If it was UTC and PIA it would have been:))))))QQ how many do you feel were there on saturday as i saw the crowd quoted at around 6700 however i do know (As still a shareholder:) that they include season tickets given to sponsors many whom dont bother to show up for the lesser matches,i do feel that they really do need Toulouse in ASAP as some of the novelty factor is wearing off.CM

I'll have a look at the photo at the Wakey game when I have my pre-game pint...to be honest I thought the crowd looked a bit higher if anything ! say around the 7500 mark !

good turnout from the Salford fans - really well behaved as usual at the GB and a real credit to their club - pity their teams performance was so appalling.....

#24 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

The resutl was never in doubt. Cats took out the play maker, resulting in a hooker playing at half back (not played there since he was 9) and a back rower in the other pivot. Salford had already lost Wild and Gibson pre match. Both teams down to 3 interchanges.

Add to that the Salford team is already a patched up outfit and the affect seeing Fages hit so late may have on the other younsters out there.

I do think the game ref deserves some credit for his handling of the incident even though he didn't see it. I did hear he took instruction from the stands.

I personally don't think 4 games is enough, this is a bad challenge he was so late. Theo will probably miss almost as many games (although I don't believe injury should be a consideration)

#25 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

I personally don't think 4 games is enough, this is a bad challenge he was so late. Theo will probably miss almost as many games (although I don't believe injury should be a consideration)

Injury is a consideration in the disciplinary procedure, but so is genuine remorse

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#26 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

If Bousqets can get away with potentially lethal thuggery like that in a televised game, god help the poor sods playing in Yorkshire division four.

The RFL has basically offered a green light to every thug/coward up and down the UK to commit potentially tragic acts of thuggery. Theo would've been better off reporting the incident to the police.

Watching that incident and then reading about some of the stuff that goes on in the grassroots of the game, why would any sane and responsible parent direct their kids towards rugby league right now?

#27 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

If Bousqets can get away with potentially lethal thuggery like that in a televised game, god help the poor sods playing in Yorkshire division four.

The RFL has basically offered a green light to every thug/coward up and down the UK to commit potentially tragic acts of thuggery. Theo would've been better off reporting the incident to the police.

Watching that incident and then reading about some of the stuff that goes on in the grassroots of the game, why would any sane and responsible parent direct their kids towards rugby league right now?

please, do me a favour - it was a bad hit end of. Hardly mass genocide ! It was quite mild in comparison some challenges made by the likes of Hock, Morley, Peacock and other such thugs - the Elima hit on Jonny Lomax at the GB a few seasons back was far worse for example...
The main thing is that he learns from his mistake which La Fray will hopefully help him with and of course that Theo is back playing asap
Talk of bringing in the old bill is a joke - grow up mate, it's a mans game, that's why we love it so much !

#28 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

It's a man's game? Do me a favour.

Bousqets didn't behave like a man, he behaved like a coward and a thug.

A four match suspension for a blatant act of thuggery that could've had a tragic outcome is risible.

#29 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

I personally don't think 4 games is enough

The banding for the offence (rightly or wrongly) was 3-5 games. Presumably his guilty plea knocked a game off

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#30 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

The banding for the offence (rightly or wrongly) was 3-5 games. Presumably his guilty plea knocked a game off

It's the banding I find fault with. I assume it wasn't 5 because he got sent off so early in the games as well.

We need to get tough on foul play and this wasn't a mistimed tackle it was far too late for that.

#31 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

how can a 'result not really be in doubt' when 12 men are forced (by their own making) of playing against 13 men for 77 minutes of a game between two professional teams ? Fact is the Cats were well re organised by Lo Fray and the Reds playing tactics were well off the mark - I can probably think of maybe only three times when Salford actually tried to stretch play to the wings with the man advantage for example ?

good turnout from the Salford fans - really well behaved as usual at the GB and a real credit to their club - pity their teams performance was so appalling.....

Prior to the 1st game of the camapaign Salford had lost 10 players and recruited only 1.Some players were jettisoned apparently for financial reasons and it seems one or two others wanted to be jettisoned.This over a large part of the last campaign and in the off-season when the club faced a winding-up order and so the remaining players endured a particularly stressful period.Just before the first game 3 new players had to be assimilated into the team.Not only a stressful period of time,a new spine to the side,and then a largely young set of players have to stand-by while a life threatening incident is played out over 8 minutes in time and like yourself I really wonder why the reasons outlined didn't lead to a performance at the optimum level from Salford against the 2 top four sides the fixtures threw at them :rolleyes:
Nice to see how gracious you are in victory.

#32 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Bousquets is appealing against the decision.

#33 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hope they add extra games to the ban. I wouldn't object to a doubling up exercise and think that would be closer to the correct punishment.

#34 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Bousquets is appealing against the decision.

That makes no sense, he pleaded guilty!

#35 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

The committee have taken into account the admittance that there was contact to Mr Fages’s head from Mr Bousquet’s shoulder albeit that it was an unavoidable contact. The player does have a clean record which is to the players credit albeit the opponent was seriously injured is a major aggravating factor to the committee. The committee feel that a 4 match suspension and a £300 fine is appropriate.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/disciplinary/item?4130

#36 MikeTommo

MikeTommo
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

I think appealing this decision shows a complete lack of integrity and remorse by both Bousquet and Catalans. I believe a 4 game ban was lenient, to then appeal that ruling is a disgrace. It was a terrible hit that resulted in serious injury. His previous clean disciplinary record is to be commended but a horror hit is still a horror hit regardless of previous transgressions. If the RFL lower the punishment then the completely wrong message will be sent out.

#37 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

I think appealing this decision shows a complete lack of integrity and remorse by both Bousquet and Catalans. I believe a 4 game ban was lenient, to then appeal that ruling is a disgrace. It was a terrible hit that resulted in serious injury. His previous clean disciplinary record is to be commended but a horror hit is still a horror hit regardless of previous transgressions. If the RFL lower the punishment then the completely wrong message will be sent out.

Agree completely, even though I take into consideration what oiseau said about Bousquet's remorse and personality, that should hopefully stand him in good stead in the future, but not now.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#38 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

Prior to the 1st game of the camapaign Salford had lost 10 players and recruited only 1.Some players were jettisoned apparently for financial reasons and it seems one or two others wanted to be jettisoned.This over a large part of the last campaign and in the off-season when the club faced a winding-up order and so the remaining players endured a particularly stressful period.Just before the first game 3 new players had to be assimilated into the team.Not only a stressful period of time,a new spine to the side,and then a largely young set of players have to stand-by while a life threatening incident is played out over 8 minutes in time and like yourself I really wonder why the reasons outlined didn't lead to a performance at the optimum level from Salford against the 2 top four sides the fixtures threw at them :rolleyes:
Nice to see how gracious you are in victory.

first of all i'm not a Catalans fan - I watched the game as a neutral and was baffled by the Reds playing tactics - it was all through the middle stuff which was bread and butter stuff for the Catalans to defend - Salford looked dangerous when playing wide and using the man advantage - I reckon a decent championship side with a more pragmatic approach to the circumstances would have fared much better - very impressed with La Frays tactical changes to cope with a man short for 77 minutes albeit against a poor Reds outfit

secondly following all the off-field problems does the Salford club actually merit a place in the SL ? that perfomance with inadequate players at that level was a joke

Catalans fought well but a half decent side would have hammered them

#39 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

first of all i'm not a Catalans fan - I watched the game as a neutral and was baffled by the Reds playing tactics - it was all through the middle stuff which was bread and butter stuff for the Catalans to defend - Salford looked dangerous when playing wide and using the man advantage - I reckon a decent championship side with a more pragmatic approach to the circumstances would have fared much better - very impressed with La Frays tactical changes to cope with a man short for 77 minutes albeit against a poor Reds outfit

secondly following all the off-field problems does the Salford club actually merit a place in the SL ? that perfomance with inadequate players at that level was a joke

Catalans fought well but a half decent side would have hammered them

Bonjour Mr Bird. You really should get out more and read what is going on at Salford. We were saved from death by Dr Koukash less than 3 weeks ago. He has appointed 3 top men from Down Under to help turn round the club. It wont be done in minutes - as you seem to want - it will take 4-6 years but there will be major improvements over the next 12 months especially when a level playing field for recuitment begins later in the year.

#40 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

Bonjour Mr Bird. You really should get out more and read what is going on at Salford. We were saved from death by Dr Koukash less than 3 weeks ago. He has appointed 3 top men from Down Under to help turn round the club. It wont be done in minutes - as you seem to want - it will take 4-6 years but there will be major improvements over the next 12 months especially when a level playing field for recuitment begins later in the year.

salut 'moquette' - yeah, quite agree with you actually but I was retaliating to TwoBlues comments or lame excuses ........

I totally respect the rescue act carried out by the good doctor and really hope the club goes onward and upward and as I said the fans were brilliant, a great bunch, loyal to the cause so I hope it works out if only for their loyalty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users