Photo
- - - - -

Theo Fages stopped breathing on the pitch after being concussed by Julian Bousquet.

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

I think appealing this decision shows a complete lack of integrity and remorse by both Bousquet and Catalans. I believe a 4 game ban was lenient, to then appeal that ruling is a disgrace.

Going into the panel, he knew that the best he hope for if found guilty was 3 games. He pleaded guilty and got 4 games, which isn't a bad result.

The appeal can't even be about guilt and wanting the ban removed, as he's already said he is guilty!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#42 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Having viewed the incident several times, I cannot for the life of me see how he can appeal against a 4 match ban. I hope the appeal panel increase it as it deserves 8 minimum.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#43 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

Having viewed the incident several times, I cannot for the life of me see how he can appeal against a 4 match ban. I hope the appeal panel increase it as it deserves 8 minimum.

I see in this morning's Daily Express that after Chase's "tackle" on Hardaker that Brian McDermott has rethought his opinion of the shoulder charge ban and is now in favour of the ban. If we are to keep the shoulder charge then the punishment for getting it wrong has to be a lot harsher than it currently is.

rldfsignature.jpg

#44 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

What happened at the appeal I haven't seen any news and I thought it was yesterday?

Theo flew back at the same time as the Catalans and from comments I've seen Bousquet has yet to apologise to him and only 2 of the team asked him how he was on the flight. Language isn't a problem as Theo speaks French and English.

#45 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

just to clear up a point - Julian went and spoke with Theo Fages' dad after the game asking about Theo bu was told by the father that he or his son didn't want anything to do with him - so, he wasn't allowed the chance to apologise...

#46 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

just to clear up a point - Julian went and spoke with Theo Fages' dad after the game asking about Theo bu was told by the father that he or his son didn't want anything to do with him - so, he wasn't allowed the chance to apologise...

You can sorta see why though.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#47 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 448 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

I guess it will be awkward when they are the cornerstones of the national team for the next 10+ years.

#48 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

You can sorta see why though.

Yes, but it's wrong. A genuine apology should always be listened to, except in exceptional circumstances (in which case, it's probably not genuine).

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#49 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

Yes, but it's wrong. A genuine apology should always be listened to, except in exceptional circumstances (in which case, it's probably not genuine).

Oh I agree, but perhaps it was a bit too soon.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#50 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

Is Theo now all right?

FWIW, I thought it was a disgusting high shot, worth about 12 weeks for mine … that sort of stuff does terrible damage to the game …

#51 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Is Theo now all right?

FWIW, I thought it was a disgusting high shot, worth about 12 weeks for mine … that sort of stuff does terrible damage to the game …

Totally agree. That's probably what he would've copped in the NRL too.

#52 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

I guess it will be awkward when they are the cornerstones of the national team for the next 10+ years.

don't think it's going to be a problem - Julian will (if he hasn't already done so) apologise to Théo and that will be that - it's the father who refused to communicate with his son in hospital, not an unreasonable attitude when you look at the bad challenge but an 'on the spur of the moment' reaction which will be forgotten - the main thing is that Julien learns from his error and of course Théo is back playing asap

#53 candlestickchimney

candlestickchimney
  • Coach
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Cheap, dirty, high shot - the kind you'd have see in a game commentated on by Eddie Waring 40 years ago...........

It should have been a 12 match ban minimum if you ask me.
Whitehaven RLFC - Still in NL1, I blame Leroy Joe

Candlestick Chimney
Lord Oftheflies, Order of the Knights on the Town, (for services smoke removal devices in the architectural landscape of the North Country)

All Hail King Gerremonside I

#54 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

don't think it's going to be a problem - Julian will (if he hasn't already done so) apologise to Théo and that will be that - it's the father who refused to communicate with his son in hospital, not an unreasonable attitude when you look at the bad challenge but an 'on the spur of the moment' reaction which will be forgotten - the main thing is that Julien learns from his error and of course Théo is back playing asap

Just a shame the coach didn't consider it a bad challenge and the assailant then had the audacity to appeal the decision of the disciplinary panel.
From those at the game,it would appear there was also a lack of sympathy or remorse from the assailant or any concern for Theo
What merits an international call-up for the French national side nowadays ? I know the French side has regressed in equal proportion to the hitherto progress of Catalans but Bousquet representing his country....? After that...?

#55 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Just a shame the coach didn't consider it a bad challenge and the assailant then had the audacity to appeal the decision of the disciplinary panel.
From those at the game,it would appear there was also a lack of sympathy or remorse from the assailant or any concern for Theo
What merits an international call-up for the French national side nowadays ? I know the French side has regressed in equal proportion to the hitherto progress of Catalans but Bousquet representing his country....? After that...?

do you actually read these posts ?

Julian tried to apologise and wanted to see Théo but his father refused him permission - I agree with the general consensus that it merited a longer ban - Julian and Théo will both represent their country for years to come - even Mr Agar can see that !

as I also said, the clothes-horse assault by Elima on Jonny Lomax a few years back at the GB was much worse but hardly raised an eyebrow at the time

#56 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Should've been a minimum 12 match ban, despite what the Francophile apologists on here might say.

There's no place for dangerous and cowardly acts like this in the game. Sadly, a 3/4 match ban does not send out a strong enough message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users