Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kate Hardcastle profiled in The Times today ... blink, gasp, wow!

just me posting

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Finally got a minute to read my paper today and whaddaya know ..........

I see a top 2/3 spread dominating pp 50-51
profiling Kate Hardcastle, the only female Director of a Super League club (Bradford Bulls).

Power to your elbow, Kate!
Respect to you, and to Ashling O'Connor who wrote the piece, and to whichever editor decided it was finally time to bring The Times coverage of rugby League into the 21st century.

I hope that now, it is just possible, we may start to see an occasional spread when a player does something good.
Hmmmmmmm. but that is every week of the year.
Let's say, perhaps, when a player achieves something extra special?
Or if not extra special then something outstanding?
...... like winning the Rugby League Golden Boot, for example (as Kevin Sinfield did recently)?
......or being named in the International Dream Team (several of them were, recently, but as to any kind of congratulatory coverage in The Times.

Seems that was just, " Sorry chaps, we barely even noticed you."

The Kate Hardcastle profile can be seen online as well (link below).

http://www.thetimes....icle3684061.ece

:-)

Edited by Honor James, 11 February 2013 - 09:57 PM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Saw this today also.. Nice to see.. but a long way to go when you take into account the five pages of union coverage in the same issue and the authors reluctance to start the article in anything other than typical fashion, with the mention of flat caps and whippets RL stereo type..

Funny how RL continues to hold this stereo type in the eyes of some of the media, but everything else to come out of the north of England doesn't.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

I saw Irvine's tweet about it, but it's a subscription online and buying a paper copy didn't even come into my mind! I presume it's similar to the article on the BBC site last week.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Saw this today also.. Nice to see.. but a long way to go when you take into account the five pages of union coverage in the same issue and the authors reluctance to start the article in anything other than typical fashion, with the mention of flat caps and whippets RL stereo type..

Funny how RL continues to hold this stereo type in the eyes of some of the media, but everything else to come out of the north of England doesn't.

Just as an aside, anybody on here ever owned a flat cap and a whippet?

#5 GezH

GezH
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Couldn't resist the old 'flatcap and whippet' dig though. zzzzzzz
Continuing to fly the RL flag and introduce more and more folk to the greatest game in North Lincs
Posted Image

#6 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Couldn't resist the old 'flatcap and whippet' dig though. zzzzzzz

Amazing, isn't it? The Times' Chris Irvine, I believe, teaches Sports Journalism at Huddersfield University.

Let's hope this writer is not a former student of his...

#7 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Amazing, isn't it? The Times' Chris Irvine, I believe, teaches Sports Journalism at Huddersfield University.

Let's hope this writer is not a former student of his...

I'm sure the `flat cap and whippets' fixation isn't Chris Irvine's doing. It's just the usual one, of the usual bunch of, so last century, `social class' assumptions rearing its wizzened old head again.

And I'm sure that, subconsciously, these things pop out unbidden simply because they were stored in the little grey cells of a whole generation at an impressionable age, when memory `bytes' were being laid down in their millions under headings like `my years as a social activist' and `you can't keep a good class warrior down'.

But that revolution has been won. The problems facing a new generation have nothing to do with class - just income.

If there are any miles left the words `middle class', `working class', `upper class' surely they exist only in the need for historically decriptive adjectival phrases. Our parents lived with them, our grand parents were tramelled by them and my generation (though not me personally) broke them down. The next generation, sadly, forgot to remember that what was once privilege based can become so again, if you don't make a point of ensuring it remains universally accessible, but that doesn't mean we have collectively and entirely regressed 45 years. And the current generation? I suspect it will need a spirit of great collective generosity, if it is to survive and prosper without creeping embitterment at the blithe, short-sighted, profligate previous, and most generally prosperous generation the western world may ever see.

What is a whippet, by the way? I know it is something thin.

And isn't a flat cap something worn by men because keeping the head warm was still considered aviseable but hoodies had gone out of fashion with Robin? I'm sure I have seen as many old photographs with gentleman farmers, landowners or even lords of the manor sporting flat caps, out and about in the countryside, as I have seen workers scurrying to soot-caked Lancastrian cotton mills in paintings by LS Lowrie.

This just me posting, by the way. Not in any way connected to the job I do, or to the opinions of any the people at the company I work for, or to any of its publications. Probably obvious but just in case ..........

Edited by Honor James, 12 February 2013 - 11:49 AM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,400 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Flat caps have been claimed by the Hoxton trendies, anyway.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,400 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

The Kate Hardcastle profile can be seen online as well (link below).

http://www.thetimes....icle3684061.ece

Only the first few sentences, unless you have a subscription. Includes, amongst other accomplishments "former lead singer of The Fabulous BB Kings" eh? Great name - anyone know of them?

At least they didn't run the usual "League of her own" headline.

Edited by Futtocks, 12 February 2013 - 11:47 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#10 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Several of my associates wear flat caps.

I'm going to get one for myself ... baseball hats can be blown off in strong winds in Yorkshire or howling gales (same strength wind, but down south).

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#11 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

I have a flat cap, but it's a plain grey one. It's a little bit 'urban' rather than traditional. I don't really wear it much.

I also used to have a dog that we suspected might be a whippet when we rescued her. As she grew up and filled out, she looked like a staffie crossed with a greyhound. We lost her last year aged fourteen and replaced her with a lovely labradoodle.

I do feel I'm drifting a little bit - especially as I'm from the Southern half of the country anyway.
People called Romans they go the house

#12 northernrob

northernrob
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

I've got a flatcap that was my dad's, with a burn mark in it from a rugby match where someone further back on the Osdal terracing was smoking !
Not restricted to the working class, as detailed above - my granddad was a doctor in Bradford for many years.

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

I was channel hopping and saw the briefest of moments, that was too long in itself, of whatever Gypsy trash channel 4 threw up last night and a lad of 11 or so was wearing a flat cap. Probably a Featherstone fan...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

i've got a flat cap.. a real nice tweed one..

and as a young man always wore a kangol (bboy for life!)..

i met a girl once, who was nicknamed 'the whippet'..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

i met a girl once, who was nicknamed 'the whippet'..

I bet she didn't last long.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Although I was brought up in Kent and live in Sussex - I have a flat cap. I don't wear it often - but only because I've always lacked the self-confidence to wear any kind of hat. Another one of my life's little failures.

As for a whippet - no. We have a greyhound instead! She won 10 races in her prime before retiring a few miles away from her beloved race track at Brighton. She's beautiful.

#17 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

I'm sure the `flat cap and whippets' fixation isn't Chris Irvine's doing. It's just the usual one, of the usual bunch of, so last century, `social class' assumptions rearing its wizzened old head again.

And I'm sure that, subconsciously, these things pop out unbidden simply because they were stored in the little grey cells of a whole generation at an impressionable age, when memory `bytes' were being laid down in their millions under headings like `my years as a social activist' and `you can't keep a good class warrior down'.

But that revolution has been won. The problems facing a new generation have nothing to do with class - just income.

If there are any miles left the words `middle class', `working class', `upper class' surely they exist only in the need for historically decriptive adjectival phrases. Our parents lived with them, our grand parents were tramelled by them and my generation (though not me personally) broke them down. The next generation, sadly, forgot to remember that what was once privilege based can become so again, if you don't make a point of ensuring it remains universally accessible, but that doesn't mean we have collectively and entirely regressed 45 years. And the current generation? I suspect it will need a spirit of great collective generosity, if it is to survive and prosper without creeping embitterment at the blithe, short-sighted, profligate previous, and most generally prosperous generation the western world may ever see.

What is a whippet, by the way? I know it is something thin.

And isn't a flat cap something worn by men because keeping the head warm was still considered aviseable but hoodies had gone out of fashion with Robin? I'm sure I have seen as many old photographs with gentleman farmers, landowners or even lords of the manor sporting flat caps, out and about in the countryside, as I have seen workers scurrying to soot-caked Lancastrian cotton mills in paintings by LS Lowrie.

This just me posting, by the way. Not in any way connected to the job I do, or to the opinions of any the people at the company I work for, or to any of its publications. Probably obvious but just in case ..........

I live in a very rich country and the socially top tier types here pay enormous sums for whippets and are very proud of their thoroughbreds. I guess the whippet is upwardly mobile as well as us humans.

#18 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

They used to have whippet racing on some playing fields at Dewsbury. The whippets ran in a straight line and ran several times on the night. Before any race, the individual starting traps were moved backwards and forwards to try and ensure a close finish. Money changed hands.

Edited by Wolford6, 13 February 2013 - 04:18 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#19 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

I saw something while channel hopping on Countryfile the other week, it was dog racing but Spaniels and Jack Russells, etc. The dog ran and jumped over some small fences, 4 or 5 of them, for about 30m, turned around and then headed back. Once the dog had passed through the last gate on the return leg, could the owner then send another dog down to run. It was a relay and like something from school sports day. It looked jolly fun!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#20 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,400 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

I saw something while channel hopping on Countryfile the other week, it was dog racing but Spaniels and Jack Russells, etc. The dog ran and jumped over some small fences, 4 or 5 of them, for about 30m, turned around and then headed back. Once the dog had passed through the last gate on the return leg, could the owner then send another dog down to run. It was a relay and like something from school sports day. It looked jolly fun!

Sometimes called 'Dog Agility Racing', the course can be more elaborate than just jumps, too. The Americans, naturally, have it all organised to a tee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users