Photo
- - - - -

How much extra money does the game need to be on an even keel?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Sounds simplistic but wouldn't an extra 20 million distributed around the professional game do the trick? (not offering by the way).
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#2 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

For about six months.

rldfsignature.jpg

#3 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

No extra needed. Re-distribution of wealth is all that's required..
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#4 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

The ability to live with in your means and adopt sensible business practices should do the trick!

Extra money just masks the problems, premier league football shows us that.

#5 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Pay the players a sight less and we'd be on an even keel in no time, Of course all the good players would have vanished into RU and NRL in about the same timeframe, so, what you gain on the swings ...

#6 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Doesn't matter now whether Sky paid us an extra 2 million (for example) or so per year, the die has been cast. Those A teams would still take place.
Extra money (£2m p.a = circa £150k p.a per team) would mean pressure to raise the salary cap a little. Extra money would upgrade contracts of players teams wanted to keep at the moment (subject to salary cap).
Any team that is spending say £300k less than salary cap, would simply take that extra £150k p.a into players salaries and bonuses.
They may give their Academy players a few hundred quid.
I don't see any change - no money would be spent on marketing, facilities or player development.

Edited by shaun mc, 11 February 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#7 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

To be fair, the OP didn't say the extra would be provided by the tooth fairy. If clubs actually set about raising their income AND cutting their costs, then an extra million per club would go a long way.

PS. That makes about 30 million, I think, not 14.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#8 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

I don't see any change - no money would be spent on marketing, facilities or player development.

No change on spending money on facilities?

When I started watching this game I remember standing on a terrace in the rain with grass growing through the cracks, and ####### against a brick wall at half time.

Since then

Huddersfield - new ground (nearly 20 years ago now, but no need for significant investment there for decades yet)
Catalans - completely rebuilt their ground in the last few years
Wigan - new ground
Warrington - new ground
Leeds - new stand behind the posts, big improvements to the South Stand planned.
Widnes - new ground
Hull FC - new ground
St Helens - new ground
Hull KR - big developments at NCP underway (as far as I know)
Salford - new ground

So of the 14 SL clubs, 10 are playing in new or substantially improved grounds over the past decade or so. Of the remaining 4, Wakey look to be finally getting their act together, which leaves three clubs with work to do - London (who have special problems), Cas and Bradford

I can tell you that Huddersfield recently acquired a substantial piece of land at Lockwood to build a dedicated training facility. It's called Woodfield Park, just off Meltham Road. You can look it up on Google Maps, there's space there for five or six pitches, plus associated buildings.

I'm pretty sure other clubs are building or already have built similar things. A large part of Leeds' success is due to their investment in training and player facilities.

It's completely inaccurate and unfair to say that the clubs aren't investing in facilities.

Edited by Steve May, 12 February 2013 - 04:49 PM.

That's me.  I'm done.

#9 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Think the football Premiership shows that it is not about how much rather than what controls are in place.

#10 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

The ability to live with in your means and adopt sensible business practices should do the trick!

THIS! The answer is simple: if clubs need more money, they either need to increase their revenue via sponsorships, corporate stuff, ticket sales etc, or cut their costs. Sheffield (mark 2 - current version) have managed to survive and thrive through good governance, and without a sugardaddy (copyright Parksider), so other clubs must also be able to do this
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#11 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,508 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

Sounds simplistic but wouldn't an extra 20 million distributed around the professional game do the trick? (not offering by the way).

Depends on the aim.

If RFL want to secure SL as a 14 club elite competition with an international flavour around £10M a year or so would be the bottom price.

SKY won't pay it so we struggle to be that sort of Elite competition.

#12 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

THIS! The answer is simple: if clubs need more money, they either need to increase their revenue via sponsorships, corporate stuff, ticket sales etc, or cut their costs. Sheffield (mark 2 - current version) have managed to survive and thrive through good governance, and without a sugardaddy (copyright Parksider), so other clubs must also be able to do this

They still have historic losses WCE.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users