RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Online Petition

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
107 replies to this topic

#61 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

one division and a top 4 play off, thats the way forward
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#62 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

1.What happens so often on this board is that the fans of P&R hold fast in their beliefs and those opposing that view spend their time deriding them and producing hyperbole to say they're wrong, deluded, foolish or dreamers.

2. It's a petition. If you don't like it don't sign it.

2. It's a proposal for us lot to sign a petition put to us on an RL debate site.

It's been dabated, if you don't like what people say about a proposal then engage in the debate.

1. What often happens so often on this board is that proposals that are shot down on the basis of sound logic and reasoning lead to those who don't like the answers, and have no counter answer to declare "he has a right to hold that belief".

If anyone wants to hold a belief then don't come on a debate site and shove it at people who are up for a debate.

Look at the OP it doesn't just ask us to sign if we want P & R it makes a case for P & R many disagree with.

Edited by The Parksider, 13 February 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#63 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,156 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

You Super League guys seem to think it's the be all and end all.Remember when Mr Lindsay said before the start of SL in 95 it will make us catch up with the Aussies being full time and it hasn't got us anywhere near.There is now 2 versions of RL in the UK and I for one would rather watch the Championship version(even though theres not much point) than the stale,sterile and no strength in depth game that Super League has become.

What's a SuperLeague guy? What are these two versions of RL of which you speak? Are there two governing bodies, are there two sets of rules?

#64 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

2. It's a proposal for us lot to sign a petition put to us on an RL debate site.

It's been dabated, if you don't like what people say about a proposal then engage in the debate.

1. What often happens so often on this board is that proposals that are shot down on the basis of sound logic and reasoning lead to those who don't like the answers, and have no counter answer to declare "he has a right to hold that belief".

If anyone wants to hold a belief then don't come on a debate site and shove it at people who are up for a debate.

Look at the OP it doesn't just ask us to sign if we want P & R it makes a case for P & R many disagree with.

I don't engage with those who spit food at you while their eating.

#65 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Correct.

Pretty much the whole football pyramid is based on criteria for promotion.

Which was tried in RL, and everyone hated it. I mean, really hated it. Trust me on this.

The idea that the only thing stopping Batley or Whitehaven winning the SL is the P&R system is ludicrous. It's the economics of those two clubs that are stopping them. There probably isn't enough people in Whitehaven to support the 50-100 people needed full time to run a good SL club. It's just not that big a town. That's the problem.

Clubs need to achieve what they can achieve. Whitehaven are more likely to survive and thrive in a lower tier by realising that and getting on with it.

As it stands, your petition is like Leyton Orient fans complaining that they don't get to play in the Champions League.

Not much difference in town size between Cas and Whitehaven, so your argument is flawed. No-one will thrive in a league with no promotion -they will just wither and die

#66 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,156 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

Like Fev? like Leigh?

Oh, hang on a min. I see what you mean. Promotion certainly motivated Widnes and the chance of A SL licence is motivating Fax and Fev.

#67 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,156 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

one division and a top 4 play off, thats the way forward

Edited for veracity. "one division and a top 4 play off, thats the way forward backwards and downwards"

#68 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Edited for veracity. "one division and a top 4 play off, thats the way forward backwards and downwards"

"plop". btw we have been asked by the mod not to edit other peoples posts..
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#69 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Not much difference in town size between Cas and Whitehaven, so your argument is flawed. No-one will thrive in a league with no promotion -they will just wither and die

Cas itself is 50% bigger than Whitehaven (25,000 in 'Haven vs 37,000 in Cas')

Also, Cas is surrounded by other towns, like Pontefract which is almost as big again. Whitehaven has Workington to the North and a lot of mountains.

I doubt that a viable SL club can be formed in Whitehaven alone. Perhaps, and the barriers to this are huge and don't need repeating here, there is the economy across both Whitehaven and Workington to support a medium sized SL club.

The target catchment area for Cas is probably 3 to 4 times bigger that of Whitehaven.

Castleford themselves are on the fringes of viability for SL in my opinion. This is not a value judgement, before anyone jumps in, it's just the facts of small town teams in a fully professional sport.

That's me.  I'm done.

#70 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

"plop". btw we have been asked by the mod facist regime not to edit other peoples posts..

Just sayin'

That's me.  I'm done.

#71 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,156 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

"plop". btw we have been asked by the mod not to edit other peoples posts..

That is exactly why I didn't edit it. Your pure and unexpurgated post was quoted for all to read.

#72 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

You Super League guys seem to think it's the be all and end all.Remember when Mr Lindsay said before the start of SL in 95 it will make us catch up with the Aussies being full time and it hasn't got us anywhere near.

It is the be all and end all. Reject SKY and return to semi pro and we won't ever get near the Aussies again and the game will disintegrate.

#73 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

It is the be all and end all. Reject SKY and return to semi pro and we won't ever get near the Aussies again and the game will disintegrate.

We will never beat the Aussies in a game that matters anyway.

#74 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Not much difference in town size between Cas and Whitehaven, so your argument is flawed.

It's not flawed at all cas draw thousands of fans from outside Cas like Pontefract, and they are hardly thriving in SL.

#75 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

We will never beat the Aussies in a game that matters anyway.

We probably won't Gaz as we are seeing how small our game is and how few top professionals it develops, it's dwarfed by Aussie RL.

But it's not the point. It's a red herring. Our ticket to survival as a game is a strong Superleague.

Championship clubs feel their ticket to survival is feeding off Superleague.

P & R is a side show to that, it doesn't matter to the health of the game.

And the game should not pander to the wishes of small groups of self interested fans.

#76 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

Cas itself is 50% bigger than Whitehaven (25,000 in 'Haven vs 37,000 in Cas')

Also, Cas is surrounded by other towns, like Pontefract which is almost as big again. Whitehaven has Workington to the North and a lot of mountains.

I doubt that a viable SL club can be formed in Whitehaven alone. Perhaps, and the barriers to this are huge and don't need repeating here, there is the economy across both Whitehaven and Workington to support a medium sized SL club.

The target catchment area for Cas is probably 3 to 4 times bigger that of Whitehaven.

Castleford themselves are on the fringes of viability for SL in my opinion. This is not a value judgement, before anyone jumps in, it's just the facts of small town teams in a fully professional sport.

Sorry Steve, I repeated you.....

#77 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

What's a SuperLeague guy? What are these two versions of RL of which you speak? Are there two governing bodies, are there two sets of rules?

Well, yes, there's SLE and the RFL for the rest.

The championships have the bonus point. SL does not. The champion ships have p and r. SL does not. SL has franchises/licences, the championships do not.

#78 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

And are we near the Aussies now ?

#79 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I don't engage with those who spit food at you while their eating.

I don't dine from the top table.

My club is the leading club for giving up independence and marrying a Superleague club.

They are already an "A" team and they already feature as part of the Leeds set up on the Leeds website.

So what? I've been as passionate as anyone supporting them but unlike others I can accept that times change and needs must.

Unless "I only care about my club".

Well I don't, I care about the whole game it's given me shedloads of enjoyment over the years and will give me shedloads more.

#80 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

And are we near the Aussies now ?

We've professionalised our small and limited game and can still play on the same pitch as them, sneak the odd win.

Lyndsay hoped professionalising the game would have the spin off of making us more able to compete with the Aussies but it hasn't done that.

But how is that any reason to indicate we should not have professionalised the game? You know as well as I do without Superleague we'd lose to the Aussies today in the same way PNG lose to them by large scores every time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users