RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Online Petition

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
107 replies to this topic

#101 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

hyperbole? What hyperbole? How is providing information based support for an argument hyperbole?

Are you not deriding those that dare to disagree with you?

If people think you are wrong, deluded, foolish, dreamers, and can back it up with hard information, then it's up to you to refute it with a stronger, factual argument, rather than bleat and play the victim, or move to that great corinthian sporting culture of soccer.

I'm a dreamer, and I'm not the only one. The trouble is that dreams are just that, they have no basis in reality(actually they do, but that's another discussion), I dream of a rugby league competition that is broadly based enough, well financed enough, and demographically strong enough to sustain it: hell, not even soccer can do that, and cricket has to have such as 20 20 and one day competitions to sustain a county championship attended by dozens not tens of thousands, or even thousands of spectators.

So until that sunny upland hoves into the horizon, I'll at least have a bit of respect and understanding those charged with the making sense of and doing something about the historical mire that rugby league attempts to survive and grow in.

I guess that's what makes me a clown and ###### in a swimming pool.

Another fine post, don't you go away again :D

#102 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

1. Maybe we should up the salary cap to £2.5m and let those clubs that can afford it pay their players more.

2. Logically thats where the continual pro-money argument ends up.

3. It excludes and excludes on a money basis until you end up with a top few a la football dominating everything.

4. A 6 team SL playing each other 4 times with an expanded WCC competition is the way to go. No point having any other clubs wanting to be at the very top table.

1. The club chairmen at the top don't want that Shaun, they have said.

2. Logic says you need 14 clubs for a balanced fixture list, out of 30 or so clubs 14 well run clubs is a target that SL can realistically aim for.

3. The open salary cap does exclude and exclude but nobody in the game wants this, they don't even push for the cap to rise.

4. A "six team SL"? No logic or reason to that either.

I'm sorry about how the game has gone since the TV age moved in on sport, it's something the game has to live with and adapt to and yes it is hurting smaller clubs. No the money can't be split 30 odd ways. All that can be hoped for is the 2 x 10 SL may come off.

Edited by The Parksider, 14 February 2013 - 06:27 AM.

#103 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

The champion ships have p and r. SL does not.

Actually, the Championship has R but no P, and Championship One has P but no R.

There has never been P&R out of the professional leagues in RL. Ever.

That's me.  I'm done.

#104 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

Maybe we should up the salary cap to £2.5m and let those clubs that can afford it pay their players more. Logically thats where the continual pro-money argument ends up. It excludes and excludes on a money basis until you end up with a top few a la football dominating everything.

It doesn't logically end up there at all.

That's me.  I'm done.

#105 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Actually, the Championship has R but no P, and Championship One has P but no R.

There has never been P&R out of the professional leagues in RL. Ever.

Blinkin' closed shops.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#106 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,151 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

I'm totally fed up of Rugby League and so from now on am going to follow more honest sports that are not influenced by money. I'll start with Formula 1, then maybe tennis or golf; good down to earth sports that are played for the love of sport.

#107 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

I'm totally fed up of Rugby League and so from now on am going to follow more honest sports that are not influenced by money. I'll start with Formula 1, then maybe tennis or golf; good down to earth sports that are played for the love of sport.

It is very important that as true rugby league fans we avoid anything tainted by professionalism or money.

True amateur sports and the corinthian spirit are what we should prize above all. If people can't afford to play rugby league, they simply shouldn't play.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#108 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

In connection with the OP, sign the petition or don't sign the petition according to your own views.

In connection with slagging each other off personally on the forum, don't do it or you will be banned.

Locked.

Thank you.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users