Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hunslet Hawks Dual Registration Statement

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#61 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

I don't agree with tax avoidance (which is one of the things funding Fev incidentally) but I'm still going to go to your ground, as I support my team and I'm not petty and pathetic.

Everyone to their own. But their is normally 4 or 5 of us that attend the away games in a car and they agree about the system same as me so I'm not the only one that's petty and pathetic. I don't mind spending 16 quid or whatever it is to get in an beverages and food etc in away fans grounds I just don't agree with this system so I'm not going to fund it that would make me an hypocrite.

#62 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Of course, the advantage of not having a DR agreement is that players see that as an plus-point when deciding whether or not to sign for you.

They're not going to have their match bonus stolen by some ageing $uperleague player coming back from a dodgy knee. ;)
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#63 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Having read that statement, I think Hunslet would have been better off simply not saying anything.

It sounds like some kind of guilty self-justification along the lines of we're-not-worse-than-any-of-the-others-who-are-doing-it.

The system is wrong.

It's not Hunslet's fault.

But it's still wrong.

We wanted to put the record straight to our own supporters first and foremost, as we had previously stated that we intended to go down one road, the goalposts have now changed for ALL partnered clubs so we wanted to inform our supporters what we now intend to do. I am proud that we are honest an open enough to openly communicate what we are doing and what we intend to do in terms dual reg.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#64 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Of course, the advantage of not having a DR agreement is that players see that as an plus-point when deciding whether or not to sign for you.

They're not going to have their match bonus stolen by some ageing $uperleague player coming back from a dodgy knee. ;)

Total opposite at our club, our top players stayed at Hunslet for less money offered elsewhere because of the opportunity to play with better quality players, potentially winning more games, meaning more winning pay.

In your case i would suggest that its the thousands of pounds a week you spend on your players that keep them at Fev nothing to do with dual reg?

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#65 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Total opposite at our club, our top players stayed at Hunslet for less money offered elsewhere because of the opportunity to play with better quality players, potentially winning more games, meaning more winning pay.

In your case i would suggest that its the thousands of pounds a week you spend on your players that keep them at Fev nothing to do with dual reg?

Griff is a Sheffield fan

#66 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Griff is a Sheffield fan

Apologies Griff, but still the same point applies.

#67 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 493 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

We also note with interest that the high profile option of fielding Kylie Leuluai and Richard Moore in last week’s game at Leigh Centurions drew much attention. When In actual fact Dewsbury, Doncaster, Keighley, Swinton, Whitehaven, Workington and York all fielded dual registration players with over 100 Super League appearances between them at the weekend. Two of these players represented Dewsbury. [/size]

I have to comment here, since it has a bearing on my own club.

The statement is highly disingenuous, I suggest?

Hunslet had Lueluai (34, many seasons of NRL and SL under his belt) and Moore (ditto SL, at least 180 appearances I think?). Senior players.

Dewsbury had two from Bradford: Donaldson (21) and O'Brien (19).

Donaldson, OK he has over 30 SL appearances to his name, mostly in his teens as a very promising LF before two years wrecked by serious injuries. He is currently just returning from missing nearly all last season with a cruciate injury, and is desperate to try and regain form and opportunity, being now well down the pecking order and in the last year of his contract.

O'Brien, promising third-choice hooker, has made 8 appearances I think, as backup hooker during our numerous injury crises. he will be very keen to gain more experience in proper games, to give him a better chance of succeeding Disko or Heath.

Both these players, if allowed the opportunity to play and shine, could potentially IMO earn international honours in years to come, and have hopefully many years careers ahead of them.

Now, I suggest the two Bulls lads look to be just the sort of candidates people will have had in mind when considering this twinning malarky?

Can the same be said about two 30-something powerhouse props nearing the end of their long professional careers?

Edited by Adeybull, 12 February 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#68 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

Apology accepted.

Though I think you overestimate the wages that the Sheffield club pay.

Edited by Griff, 12 February 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#69 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

I have to comment here, since it has a bearing on my own club.

The statement is highly disingenuous, I suggest?

Hunslet had Lueluai (34, many seasons of NRL and SL under his belt) and Moore (ditto SL, at least 180 appearances I think?). Senior players.

Dewsbury had two from Bradford: Donaldson (21) and O'Brien (19).

Donaldson, OK he has over 30 SL appearances to his name, mostly in his teens as a very promising LF before two years wrecked by serious injuries. He is currently just returning from missing nearly all last season with a cruciate injury, and is desperate to try and regain form and opportunity, being now well down the pecking order and in the last year of his contract.

O'Brien, promising third-choice hooker, has made 8 appearances I think, as backup hooker during our numerous injury crises. he will be very keen to gain more experience in proper games, to give him a better chance of succeeding Disko or Heath.

Both these players, if allowed the opportunity to play and shine, could potentially IMO earn international honours in years to come, and have hopefully many years careers ahead of them.

Now, I suggest the two Bulls lads look to be just the sort of candidates people will have had in mind when considering this twinning malarky?

Can the same be said about two 30-something powerhouse props nearing the end of their long professional careers?

Whats the point your trying to make?

#70 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Great if you're in the team. Not so good if your place is taken.

And, of course, half the teams lose every week - draws excepted, obviously.

#71 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 493 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Whats the point your trying to make?

Eh? I would have thought that was obvious, from the part I quoted and the observatrions I made comparing Hunslet with the other club they chose to specifically emphasise, Dewsbury.

Hunslet are saying that they have done no different to other clubs. Whilst on one level that may seem at first glance to be true, when you look more at the detail the situations are in reality pretty well totally the opposite. Hnece my labelling their statement as disingenuous.

#72 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

For me it's, mainly the fault of the twinned Championship clubs that have caused the problem. They didn't have to pick the players such as Paul Wood or Richard Moore. But by doing so they have opened the door for others to do it in fear of being left behind. And it's they who should be blamed for ruining the integrity of the Championship.

Edited by a.n Other, 12 February 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#73 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Nah - the RFL shouldn't have made the rules so vague.

You want to develop young players ? (and that was the stated intent) Then you should only be able to DR young players.

#74 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

I dont have a problem with Dual Regs as such. But the RFL have once again due to poor management managed to cause another massive split in the game and are seemingly pushing for even overseas players to be allowed on it which is just wrong on so many levels. I accept that small clubs like York, Hunslet etc want to compete more against Fax, Fev, Leigh etc. A max of 4 Dual Reg lads under 23 I think is OK. But having the likes of Kylie Leulei, Richard Moore, Ade Gardner is just wrong. It has been abused and has ruined the reputation of the championship for me as well as making it a lottery.
The Championship was a great comp with even the likes of Dewsbury, York etc having match and even beaten the big clubs at times. An example of this is both have beaten Halifax in the past 2 seasons. Now its just become a lottery, where teams have little idea what strenghth the likes of Hunslet and Swinton are going to be. Who is to say Hunslet, Swinton, York, Dewsbury etc dont use SL players like Burrows, Briers, Yeaman, Gale in games to survive relegation or playoffs if the SL club has no game or The whole thing has been a charade with the RFL and Clubs telling us one thing. But the real truth being hidden. The whole thing has not been thought through properly. The massive divide that existed in the game have just been increased even more thanks to the RFL and selfish clubs. The Hunslet Hawks press release is just a joke for me as it comes across as them amnd Leeds trying to justify things. The whole game is in a mess and I cant see it getting any better. I cant see a bright future for much of the game due to the selfish short term decisions.

#75 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

I'm just waiting for the day one of these pesky little upstart clubs who've borrowed a couple of players have the audacity to beat the mighty Fev, then I reckon these boards may just turn themselves inside out.

That's exactly what's going to happen, because Hunslet wll have 4 or 5 SL quality players in their side, who are actually players belonging to Leeds. How is that fair to Fev who have done all the hard work themselves not borrowed almost half a team.

At the other end of the table some poor sod of a team is going to go to the league of death because they lost to Hunslet, Swinton or Workington, teams they would have expected to beat until they borrowed SL standard players belonging to another club.

Keighley, to their shame, have jumped on this bandwagon in an effort at self preservation, but the whole worth on competition and success or failure or the integrity of the Championship is now being dictated by the strength of loanees avaiable from the various SL clubs. This cannot be right. The oft quoted statement that the Championship is a fine competition worth winning in it's own right is now a hollow shell.

What next, dig out the old A team league trophy to present to the winner.

#76 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

. I am proud that we are honest an open enough to openly communicate what we are doing and what we intend to do in terms dual reg.

What a pity you didn't think like that when making the arrangements and announcing to join up with Leeds!! You were already in the marital bed before it was officially discussed by Championship clubs so where was your open and honest policy then? SL clubs had met several times and discussed this matter but not Championship clubs until September 2012.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#77 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Arrogance beyond belief,what if Hunslet beat Fev with two dual reg players,Watson and Hood, players who have very little SL experience.Surely then it's down to the Hunslet players.

Not going to happen like that judging from the last Hunlset result?

#78 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,080 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Not going to happen like that judging from the last Hunlset result?

Every dog has it's day.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#79 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

Every dog has it's day.

Every dog will certainly have it's day if it gets some serious help from the neighbourhood wolf pack.

#80 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,080 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Every dog will certainly have it's day if it gets some serious help from the neighbourhood wolf pack.

So if Hunslet had a few fringe players from Leeds would they class as part of a wolfpack?
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users