Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Batley v Knights

Sunday 2pm

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#41 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Stokes was very poor even for Stokes. 2nd half was decided by the first. Sh+t match, scoreline flatters Batley.
Enjoy your win.

Stokes is dreadul all round. I still remember the performance he put in at your place in 2011. Although I'm not suggesting that was the reason you won.

In the second half the scoreline actually flattered York. With a little more composure and clinicalness we could have had sixty. We broke your line at will, and apart from a couple of penalties you never looked like getting out of your half. My mate who came along today and who is neutral made the comment that York had given up and didnt look interested after 50 or so minutes.

Up until 30 mins was actually quite impressed with your defence as we had a hell of alot of possession and territory that you did really well to withstand.

Only my opinion but your backs look very handy. However your forwards on today's basis anyway look lightweight and not physical enough, either in attack or defence.

#42 jiggyknight

jiggyknight
  • Coach
  • 654 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

I can see your point, especially in relation to weighting kicks as you can practice regularly.It's only the last couple of years that we seem to have become a bit more adept at it though.

Dont forget Fev and Dewsbury has a slope too, although ours is probably the most pronounced. I suppose you just get used to playing your own pitch though. We always seem to struggle at the more narrow ones like Dewsbury and York too, so I think there is definitely some merit to what you have said.

But with the greatest respect we would have won playing uphill both halves today. Your lads, although skillfull at times with the play didnt really seem 'up for it' from a physical aspect. In my opinion anyway. We seemed to win every collision and put your forwards down too easily.

that is my point Nick

#43 NEW DOG

NEW DOG
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Stokes was very poor even for Stokes. 2nd half was decided by the first. Sh+t match, scoreline flatters Batley.
Enjoy your win.

Oh dear me. Have closer look at the game. Not the refs fault that result I'm afraid and I'm a big critic of them myslef. Lack of desire in second half and indiscipline at nearly every play of the ball. You backs looked ok and there were some good breaks which we just about dealt with. Forwards looked a concern though as Nick07 has mentioned. We looked stronger, quicker, I would say more intelligent but we had some crazy offloads today. Coul have been 60. Sorry to AH but that had nothing to do with Stokes.

#44 gittinsfan

gittinsfan
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

I seem to remember back in the 70's Yorks ground had a fair old slope on it.My memory is not what it used to be ,but was it called Clarence Street ???.
Just asking.

#45 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 611 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

We did give up, you're right. But we might as well. Batley had all possesion in the first half, everytime york got the ball, stokes blew his whistle. When it looked like we might go ahead, he binned Brown and ignored the 'forrad' passes to let Batley go in 18 4 up. What's the point after that?

#46 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,836 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

I seem to remember back in the 70's Yorks ground had a fair old slope on it.My memory is not what it used to be ,but was it called Clarence Street ???.
Just asking.

Clarence St, was very flat, you must be thinking of Fax's old ground.

#47 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

We did give up, you're right. But we might as well. Batley had all possesion in the first half, everytime york got the ball, stokes blew his whistle. When it looked like we might go ahead, he binned Brown and ignored the 'forrad' passes to let Batley go in 18 4 up. What's the point after that?

Not saying the ref helped you, but you can't just give up before your not having the rub of the green Andy! That's life, you've got to get on with it. You were 18-4 down at halftime, not 40-4!

The first 2 tries were length of the field jobs and had nothing to do with the ref, and the third came off the back off 3 Batley penalties, 2 for 'gobbing off'. Whether you agree with the original decision or not, conceding another 40 metres (with the kick included) is simply inexcusable.

The key today was that we dominated both possession and the collision. Even though I thought York did well for the first half hour we restricted you to about 3 sets in our 20 down the slope, which is always going to be crucial.

#48 Peter G.

Peter G.
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

First viewing of our new "team", what a big disappointment. 30 minutes of a match followed by 50 mins of dross. Our defence at times was woeful.

Listened to Thorntons excuses on way home, some of them valid like one or two missed forward passes leading to tries and some walking wounded in the last quarter. But he admitted that lessons spoken about in training were not heeded, such as allowing Greenwood, Johnson etc to run the ball back through half of our side thus continuously setting the dogs up for more attacks. Much work needed in defence/spotting.

Enjoyed the day out and catching up with a few people, didn't expect a win or even a bonus point but hoped we would compete a lot better than that. Its early days so plenty of time to pull things together.

#49 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Steady on pal, you'll end up on @RLMeltdown with quotes like that...
Posted Image

#50 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

I think our best prop going off injured after about 20 minutes was one if the reasons we lacked any go forward. Fair play to Batley, they played better than us and had the rub of the green, although that 8-1 first half penalty count did us in and made it a lot easier for them to break us down in the second half. I'd like to see some of those Batley tries on video though, as in my opinion, two came off forward passes and another couple had the try scorer way offside at the kick. The ref was dreadful for both teams, just much more dreadful for York, he struggled to keep up with play which meant the team in the ascendancy (mostly Batley) got all the decisions.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#51 Penola

Penola
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

im in leeds mate.......alwoodley
Is that what you said when you lost at whitehaven lol :D

Ha ha. I live in Alwoodley too. King Lane. We should meet up and slag each other's teams off

#52 WRknight

WRknight
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Having read the club report of the game, I think the injury to Ford and the recall to Hull of Tom Lineham as well as the injury during the game of Matt Nicholson had a big effect on the result. We do not have a big squad, and I am afraid that this afternoon this showed.

I do not think we ever really expected to win, but I would have liked the game to have been a bit more of a contest.

When a team does not get the rub of the green it can affect them, you only had to watch the Warrington v Catalan game on Friday to see that.

#53 barlby knight

barlby knight
  • Coach
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Think we missed Fordy & Lineham today , why was Ben Dent picked ahead of Haynsey ? Didn't get That one ! Losing Matt Nicko so early then Danny Nic were big blows which also left us 2 subs down ! Plus having a perfectly good try turned down for a forward pass where you saw Joe Arundel actually turn & throw the ball to Jonny Pressley who was behind him beggared belief , then Browny gets sin binned for questioning decisions ! Isn't the skipper allowed to do that ? Stokes is a very arrogant & very poor referee , I know Sam Scott's dad wasn't happy at the way he spoke to Sam at the halftime hooter when he tried to say he'd missed a number of forward passes , how this idiot gets to referee pro matches is beyond belief , he even gave Batley a couple of poor calls so not all one sided but mostly , ruined what could have been a decent match as up to 35 mins there was nothing in it tbh
LOVE THE KNIGHTS , LIVE THE KNIGHTS

#54 barlby knight

barlby knight
  • Coach
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

What's going on , Hunslet & Batley fans residing in one of the more affluent areas of Leeds , what next Macca living in Wigton lmao : )
LOVE THE KNIGHTS , LIVE THE KNIGHTS

#55 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Plus having a perfectly good try turned down for a forward pass where you saw Joe Arundel actually turn & throw the ball to Jonny Pressley who was behind him beggared belief

We were stood directly opposite play and the pass was forward by quite a distance. Hard to tell whether your Centre delayed it too long or whether Pressley overran it, but it was certainly the correct call.

One of our tries should also have been disallowed for a forward pass too. We got lucky I guess.

#56 Penola

Penola
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

What's going on , Hunslet & Batley fans residing in one of the more affluent areas of Leeds , what next Macca living in Wigton lmao : )

LOL. There is an Alwoodley Hawk who I don't know as well. Macca lives in a 5 bed detach on Ling Lane Scarcroft

#57 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Macca lives in a 5 bed detach on Ling Lane Scarcroft

Are the owners aware of the fact? :)

Edited by Simon Hall, 17 February 2013 - 07:30 PM.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#58 Philius T Wilderbeest

Philius T Wilderbeest
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Plus having a perfectly good try turned down for a forward pass where you saw Joe Arundel actually turn & throw the ball to Jonny Pressley who was behind him beggared belief

We were stood directly opposite play and the pass was forward by quite a distance. Hard to tell whether your Centre delayed it too long or whether Pressley overran it, but it was certainly the correct call.

One of our tries should also have been disallowed for a forward pass too. We got lucky I guess.

Don't waste your time and effort, Nick. Some fans resort to blaming the officials after EVERY loss. It's quite possible that the referee made a few incorrect calls today - as referees do every week, but it's childish in the extreme to suggest that a scoreline of 42-4 (that should probably have been closer to the 60 mark) was largely the fault of George Stokes. As some have already confirmed, the Presley 'try' came from a pass that was about 3 yards forward.

#59 NEW DOG

NEW DOG
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Not saying the ref helped you, but you can't just give up before your not having the rub of the green Andy! That's life, you've got to get on with it. You were 18-4 down at halftime, not 40-4!

The first 2 tries were length of the field jobs and had nothing to do with the ref, and the third came off the back off 3 Batley penalties, 2 for 'gobbing off'. Whether you agree with the original decision or not, conceding another 40 metres (with the kick included) is simply inexcusable.

The key today was that we dominated both possession and the collision. Even though I thought York did well for the first half hour we restricted you to about 3 sets in our 20 down the slope, which is always going to be crucial.

Couldn't agree more. If your going to give up @ 18-4 regardless of any (what you call dubious decisions) then we may as all stay at home. I still wouldn't say that we got the rub of the green though as we could have had more pens for consistent holding down, especially in the first half. Nick07 makes a good point in the fact that you can't give 20 meters in 5 seconds for whinging, that's playground rugby. I hope you do ok for he rest of the season as I said before your backs looked quite interesting. Just allowed our backs to make 40 metres on nearly every play. Good luck though and I'm sure there will be good results around the corner.

#60 WRknight

WRknight
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Don't waste your time and effort, Nick. Some fans resort to blaming the officials after EVERY loss. It's quite possible that the referee made a few incorrect calls today - as referees do every week, but it's childish in the extreme to suggest that a scoreline of 42-4 (that should probably have been closer to the 60 mark) was largely the fault of George Stokes. As some have already confirmed, the Presley 'try' came from a pass that was about 3 yards forward.

I think you will find most of the York supporters at the game agree that you were much the better side. As for the Presley 'try' it is academic at the end of the day.

Just try to be a bit more graceful in victory, we are all supporters who only want the best for our team, and no body likes to be at the end of a 40 point scoreline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users