Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

All Golds and Sonics go into partnership

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Bristol Sonics and the University of Gloucestershire All Golds have signed a partnership agreement to work together. This will mean sharing players and resources, joint marketing initiatives and following similar coaching structures/game plans. More importantly, it also cements the player performance pathway, which now goes as follows:

* Schools rugby league
* Bristol Sonics U14 and U16, and All Golds U14 and U16
* South Gloucestershire & Stroud College RL Academy
* Tier 4 community Rugby League (West of England League)
* UG All Golds U20s
* Bristol Sonics Tier 3 Conference League South side
* All Golds Championship 1 side

You can read the full story about the partnership and how it will work on the Sonics website

Conference League South rules permit "dual registration" with Championship/Championship One clubs (hence the joint Sheffield Eagles/Sheffield Hallam Uni side). Many of the UG All Golds champ one squad will be "dual registered" with the Sonics and some will come on loan during the season.

It will be interesting to see if other clubs in the Championships/Championship 1 - E.G Oxford - follow suit in coming seasons.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

Am I correct in sayng that the Old Golds have a DR arrangemtn with Leeds Rhinos. If so there is now a direct pathway from Bristol to Headingley. This is a true feeder team system similiar to Baseball's A level. AA level, AAA level and then the major leagues.

#3 brooza

brooza
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Am I correct in sayng that the Old Golds have a DR arrangemtn with Leeds Rhinos. If so there is now a direct pathway from Bristol to Headingley. This is a true feeder team system similiar to Baseball's A level. AA level, AAA level and then the major leagues.

Are we now to expect half of the Leeds team playing for Bristol in the last game of the season with Bristol needing a win to get in the playoffs?

I hope so, because that's at St Albans :)
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#4 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Are we now to expect half of the Leeds team playing for Bristol in the last game of the season with Bristol needing a win to get in the playoffs?

In Keighley's world,yes
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

In Keighley's world,yes

I'm hoping so, would love to see Sir Kevin Sinfield et al playing at Toulmin Drive!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#6 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Bristol Sonics and the University of Gloucestershire All Golds have signed a partnership agreement to work together. This will mean sharing players and resources, joint marketing initiatives and following similar coaching structures/game plans. More importantly, it also cements the player performance pathway, which now goes as follows:

* Schools rugby league
* Bristol Sonics U14 and U16, and All Golds U14 and U16
* South Gloucestershire & Stroud College RL Academy
* Tier 4 community Rugby League (West of England League)
* UG All Golds U20s
* Bristol Sonics Tier 3 Conference League South side
* All Golds Championship 1 side

You can read the full story about the partnership and how it will work on the Sonics website

Conference League South rules permit "dual registration" with Championship/Championship One clubs (hence the joint Sheffield Eagles/Sheffield Hallam Uni side). Many of the UG All Golds champ one squad will be "dual registered" with the Sonics and some will come on loan during the season.

It will be interesting to see if other clubs in the Championships/Championship 1 - E.G Oxford - follow suit in coming seasons.

Bit of an aside WCE but do Bristol play any midweek matches at all? I work at Thornbury Monday to Thursday and so would happily come and watch any matches - keep me from going stir crazy in my digs LOL.
Cheers.

Posted Image

#7 brooza

brooza
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Bit of an aside WCE but do Bristol play any midweek matches at all? I work at Thornbury Monday to Thursday and so would happily come and watch any matches - keep me from going stir crazy in my digs LOL.
Cheers.

No midweek fixtures scheduled in our league, but if there are some postponements etc you never know (though there are free weekends for that)

#8 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

I'd say that was unlikely, as the DR rules for pro clubs state that players can appear one level below their own - e.g SL (Tier 1) in Championships (Tier 2), Tier 2 in Tier 3 (Conference South and, if they agree to the rules, NCL), Tier 3 to Tier 4 (community game at large).

Realistically, we'd expect to see squad players rather than people like Tim Bergin etc. There were quite a few All Golds Uni team players who appeared for us last year, so I'm guessing it might be people like that. You'll have to wait and see :D
www.bristolsonics.com

#9 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

I'd say that was unlikely, as the DR rules for pro clubs state that players can appear one level below their own - e.g SL (Tier 1) in Championships (Tier 2), Tier 2 in Tier 3 (Conference South and, if they agree to the rules, NCL), Tier 3 to Tier 4 (community game at large).

Realistically, we'd expect to see squad players rather than people like Tim Bergin etc. There were quite a few All Golds Uni team players who appeared for us last year, so I'm guessing it might be people like that. You'll have to wait and see :D

Skolars and Henel have DR players from Broncos. How does that work if the rules state something different as per your first paragraph? Are they classed as tier2?

Edited by Manx RL, 12 February 2013 - 08:21 PM.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#10 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

In Keighley's world,yes

No that's not how it works. What happens is that any decent talent uncovered by Bristol will be snapped up by Leeds who will either let them stay at Sonics or move them up to Gloucester. All coaching and trainig and development costs will be borne by the lower tier teams and if any such players prove SL material then Leeds will call them up to Headingley. That's how feeder systems work.

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

Skolars and Henel have DR players from Broncos. How does that work if the rules state something different as per your first paragraph? Are they classed as tier2?

Yes.

CC and CC1 are both tier 2 and thus can dual register SL players. NCL and SCL are tier 3 and can only register CC / CC1 players.

#12 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

Yes.

CC and CC1 are both tier 2 and thus can dual register SL players. NCL and SCL are tier 3 and can only register CC / CC1 players.

What he said.

Tier 1: Super League
Tier 2: Championship/Championship 1
Tier 3: Southern Conference League/NCL (though I'm not sure the NCL has actually agreed to DR yet, though it has been discussed/is on the agenda)
Tier 4: Community game at large - e.g BARLA, regional leagues, students, wheelchair etc

This season will be the first using 'official' dual registered players at Tier 3 (Southern Conference League). At present I think it's only Bristol/All Golds and Sheffield Eagles/Sheffield Hallam that have this kind of arrangement, though I wouldn't be surprised if this is extended in future (E.G a team in Oxford with the pro club, one of the Midlands sides with Coventry if they get in for 2014 etc). There's nothing stopping Hemel putting players into St Albans, for example, or the Skolars for that mater - though both Skolars and Hemel are running U20s rather than being in the SCL.

Sheffield see this system as far more in keeping with their needs than the U-20 league, as they can play overage players, as well as those who would qualify for U-20s after the U18/U19 academy (I can't remember off the top of my head what the actual age groups are)
www.bristolsonics.com

#13 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Yes.

Do you have a link to the rule allowing dual registration between Tier 2 and Tier 3 ?

The NCL certainly do not yet allow permit players. Given the apparent problems higher up the food chain they are likely to take a good look before any commitment. Meanwhile the likes of Rochdale for instance have 40 part time contracted players. What on earth are they going to do with them all ?

#14 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 982 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Do you have a link to the rule allowing dual registration between Tier 2 and Tier 3 ?

The NCL certainly do not yet allow permit players. Given the apparent problems higher up the food chain they are likely to take a good look before any commitment. Meanwhile the likes of Rochdale for instance have 40 part time contracted players. What on earth are they going to do with them all ?

In this case the dual reg applies only to the Conference South League which is Tier 3, rather than the NCL.

#15 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

The RFL permit tier 2 players to dual register with a tier 3 side but at present the NCL hasn't agreed to this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users