Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

TRL Helpdesk - buying a car

Baffled by the choice

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,451 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

I bought a car from this place in Huddersfield once,though it was quite a few years ago. http://www.quarry-ga...co.uk/home.aspx

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#22 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,055 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

One thing I'm not going to do again is buy a car from new, much better buying an older decent make. The deprecation on a new car is a killer and you soon get over that new car feeling. I fancied driving a decent car so I traded in my 3 year old Vectra for a 11 year old Boxster (pretty much a straight swap). I've had to spend a bit to get it through its MOT but they seem to keep their value more than the cheaper makes and its much more fun. When I bought my car there was an 8 year old S class Mercedes on the forecourt going for 7 grand.
Fides invicta triumphat

#23 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

The problem with that is that you'd never buy anything. A company can sell 100,000 perfectly good cars but if two people on an internet forum have the same problem, you'd imagine that the every single car was a deathtrap not fit for human use.

There is also the "Top Gear" problem. Go on a car users forum and it's all Alan Partridge ######. I don't give a stuff about optimising the "regen" of my diesel particulate filter. I just want the damned thing to look nice, drive well and be reliable and economical.

Well no you would, it's about finding out what they are like to live with. I struggled to find the leak in my car but it turns out it was a common problem and I could fix it near enough straight away. x might have issues that y doesn't, or with stories in the last few years of recalls, people have to talk about those issues so they are dealt with.

I don't want to sound obvious but you're asking on a forum for advice yourself...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#24 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,301 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

If you liked your Golf have a look at a Skoda Octavia, same underpinnings but cheaper to buy and service.

I don't do a lot of mileage so my petrol Octavia vRS suits me and is a great car to drive with a good selection of toys and gadgets.

28m391z.jpg

#25 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Can't really go wrong with VW Golfs as a mid-range car, usually dependable, but nothing flash.
I have a 2011 2.0 Bluemotion and sometimes its up to 75mpg on the work run, whilst still having 140bhp of grunt if you need it.

Before that a Honda Civic 2.2dcti. Again reliable, good mpg with plenty of power. A better looker than the Golf, a 'different' cabin and some of the styling doesn't appeal to all. Small 45 litre tank though, so not a huge range between fill ups.
Was glad to get rid of it in the end after being shunted for 200 yards up the M25 stuck on the front end of a Bulgarian 40 tonne artic. It wasn't written-off so makes you think its a little weak after being in a major shunt.

#26 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,055 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Was glad to get rid of it in the end after being shunted for 200 yards up the M25 stuck on the front end of a Bulgarian 40 tonne artic. It wasn't written-off so makes you think its a little weak after being in a major shunt.

:o
Fides invicta triumphat

#27 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

Aye, not a pleasant experience, but apparently its common on the M25 with left hand drive artics.
i was lucky in that I was travelling at a similar speed to the artic, who whilst I was overtaking him, decided to move into my lane, clipped my passenger side rear end, flipped me round onto the front of the artic.
it could have been worse if our respective speeds weren't similar as I wouldn't have stuck on the front, but careered left and right into the safety barrier and back out again into busy traffic, etc.
200 yards may be an eggageration - felt like eternity.

#28 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,314 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

see

#29 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Thats exactly what happened, though in my case the lorry driver knew what was going on and immediately tried to stop.
The traffic cops said its a real common ocurrence with the left hand drive artics as they have a blind spot as you pass alongside where their cab is, as you can be lower than their passenger side window. The police do try to educate them by asking them to fit suitable mirrors but those from countries such as Romania and Bulgaria don't bother as its not compulsory.

#30 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,055 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Thats exactly what happened, though in my case the lorry driver knew what was going on and immediately tried to stop.
The traffic cops said its a real common ocurrence with the left hand drive artics as they have a blind spot as you pass alongside where their cab is, as you can be lower than their passenger side window. The police do try to educate them by asking them to fit suitable mirrors but those from countries such as Romania and Bulgaria don't bother as its not compulsory.

I would've been a bag of nerves after something like that. Glad to hear that you got off relatively lightly.
Fides invicta triumphat