Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Which is the biggest rugby league club in Sydney?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Can anyone help?

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

by attendance its canterbury i think?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

Hard to say completely but I would say Souths and Bulldogs are the most popular if you take into account the amount of Club Memberships which Souths had the 2nd most in the entire comp only trailing the Broncos and attendances are much higher than anyone elses, alot of people around Sydney support the Tigers as their 2nd team but in terms of Die Hard support those two would be the most popular, Penrith are the least popular in my opinion, having lived there for a while, alot of the residents of Penrith support the Tigers instead of the Penrith Panthers, there attendances last season leave alot to be desired, a year ago I would've said the Sharks, alot of their fans used to chose next door neighbors Saint George due to their teams constant failures over the years in the bottom half of the NRL table, similar to a Wigan fan supporting Manchester United, but because of their fantastic season last year and Saint Georges poor one, alot of their fans have come out of the woodwork, funny how that works.

Edited by 1jordy, 13 February 2013 - 12:53 AM.

St George Illawarra Dragons fan with a Soft Spot for Wigan in the Super League.

#4 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

Having moved to Sydney recently from the Uk, what ive seen so far is everyone loves the Bunnies, still seen as the peoples club. Having said that im living in Kogarah at the moment so will be a Dragons fan for the time being, although considering moving to Cronulla in 5 months time, so may change to a Sharks fan then lol,

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#5 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

I thought Parramatta wouldv'e been up thereor thereabouts?

#6 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

Broncos. Biggest club in oz. biggest supported club from Sydney is souths, technicality, but I love giving the broncs a shout ;)

#7 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

It used to be the Dragons, now i'm not so sure.

Edited by Emosi Koloto, 13 February 2013 - 07:35 AM.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#8 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

The big four Sydney clubs are Souths, Wests, Cantebury and Parramatta.

Out of those Souths and Canterbury have probably done the best at mobilising their support base. Parra and Wests both have huge latent support but their memberships and crowds aren't as high.

#9 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

It used to be the Dragons, now i'm not so sure.

Hard to put the dragons in the same light as a Bulldogs or Souths in Sydney considering 50% of the fan base live in Wollongong which is where all the players live, the Dogs and Souths do a awesome job at promoting themselves and giving the family friendly vibe to the community of Sydney, which would explain their huge attendances and Club Memberships, I've seen Bulldogs players at Train Stations on my way to High school in the past signing autographs, taking photos with kids and handing out club stickers, Souths are similar, their marketing teams are awesome, Tigers and Eels do have a big loyal fan base as well even if the numbers don't necessarily show it.

#10 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

eastern suburbs and souths is traditionally the biggest match in sydney................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#11 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

As much as I despise both teams, parra v bulldogs is the biggest match in Sydney.

#12 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Interesting to note as well that the top two highest attended regular season games between Sydney clubs last season was Parra v St George (45,000) and St George v the Roosters (40,000) despite Souths & the Bulldogs having the highest average attendances and Club Memberships but the Dogs & Souths did draw 70,000 for a finals game so it's very hard to say 100% on who is most popular but I still think the Dogs and Souths are just ahead.

Edited by 1jordy, 13 February 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#13 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

When I was a kid in the 50s it was alway's St George .They won a boat load of GF's in a row.
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#14 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Parramatta has the biggest bandwagon by a massive distance.

Parra, Dogs, Saints, Tigpies and Souths are the big supported teams in Sydney.

#15 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

As mentioned earlier i always thought Parra had the most latent support, but who knows how big they can be until they start winning trophies.

#16 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

thought souths were billed as the most loved team in australia
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#17 Bluebags

Bluebags
  • Twitter
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

thought souths were billed as the most loved team in australia

That's what they'd like us to believe... In reality, they've got a huge fan base but actual fans who attend games can be a very small percentage of that. Moving away from their traditional heartlands to Homebush, think Warrington playing out of Eastlands full time.

In answer to the question, Newtown Jets are the biggest club in Sydney :lol:

#18 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

In what perception do you call them BIGGEST? Attendance? Income? Turnover? Shareholding? Leagues Club Income?

And over what time of period? 10 years, 20 years, since the inception of RL in Australia?

Another dumbarse question from the source of the DAQ
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#19 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

In what perception do you call them BIGGEST? Attendance? Income? Turnover? Shareholding? Leagues Club Income?

And over what time of period? 10 years, 20 years, since the inception of RL in Australia?

Why even participate in the thread if you think its a 'dumbarse' question? .....your an absolute moron.

#20 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

You been drinking again?
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users