Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Which is the biggest rugby league club in Sydney?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

You been drinking again?

Please don't get sanctimonious about our friend Bleep.

It annoys some posters and they go sobbing to the mods.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#22 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Please don't get sanctimonious about our friend Bleep.

It annoys some posters and they go sobbing to the mods.

We could always point at them and whisper 'grass grass grass' when they walk down the corridor between lessons.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#23 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

We could always point at them and whisper 'grass grass grass' when they walk down the corridor between lessons.

Yes.

We must handle this in a grown-up fashion.

Incidentally, if it's by "fans who declare themselves in NRL-sanctioned surveys" then I believe it's the Rabbitohs. By a considerable distance.
- Severus, July 2012

#24 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

An Aussie once tried to tell me St George were the most famous RL team in the world. I asked him if he'd ever heard of Wigan?

rldfsignature.jpg

#25 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

An Aussie once tried to tell me St George were the most famous RL team in the world. I asked him if he'd ever heard of Wigan?

No matter where you travel if you come from Wigan and perhaps St Helens and meet someone who has heard of or been to those two towns,they will say RUGBY LEAGUE.Thats what makes Wigan or Saints the two most famous RL clubs including those in OZ imo
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#26 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

No matter where you travel if you come from Wigan and perhaps St Helens and meet someone who has heard of or been to those two towns,they will say RUGBY LEAGUE.Thats what makes Wigan or Saints the two most famous RL clubs including those in OZ imo

I bet there are plenty of people in this country who know nothing about RL but have heard of the town purely because of the RL team.

rldfsignature.jpg

#27 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

I bet there are plenty of people in this country who know nothing about RL but have heard of the town purely because of the RL team.

Thats what I mean.It can never be Leeds above Wigan or Saints for obvious reasons.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#28 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Wigan Athletic are in the Premier League.

If people in rural China have heard of Wigan - which they now will have done - it will be because of soccer.

Of course, they might think it's next to the fictional town of West Bromwich but what can you do?
- Severus, July 2012

#29 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

If people in rural China have heard of Wigan - which they now will have done - it will be because of soccer.

Of course, they might think it's next to the fictional town of West Bromwich but what can you do?

The soccer fans who watch the fa prem over here have heard of the latics,but they say "oh no its Wigan this week"and some of them say "Wigan is mainly rugby, right?"
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#30 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Those same Chinese people may never have even heard of Sydney.

rldfsignature.jpg

#31 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Did he say "once about 20 years ago"
:)

In Saint Georges case
about 50 years ago.

Edited by AndyCapp, 14 February 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#32 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Parramatta are the sleeping Giant, its only their lack of success on the field that that has kept them down.
When Parra are travelling well the League is in good shape both with home and away support.

#33 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

As someone who doesn't live in England and follows both Rugby league & the Premier league, I know Wigan more for their Rugby League team as to their Football/Soccer team, pretty much always been a Rugby town hasn't it, Wigan Athletic attendances are usually woeful, I think they're the biggest Rugby League team in England but to say the biggest in the world like some above have suggested is quite the stretch.

Edited by 1jordy, 14 February 2013 - 03:15 PM.

St George Illawarra Dragons fan with a Soft Spot for Wigan in the Super League.

#34 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Did he say "once about 20 years ago"
:)

In Saint Georges case
about 50 years ago.

Dally formerly of this parish is a big St George fan
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#35 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

As someone who doesn't live in England and follows both Rugby league & the Premier league, I know Wigan more for their Rugby League team as to their Football/Soccer team, pretty much always been a Rugby town hasn't it, Wigan Athletic attendances are usually woeful, I think they're the biggest Rugby League team in England but to say the biggest in the world like some above have suggested is quite the stretch.

When I said biggest,I meant most well known!which also means famous.
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#36 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Wigan Athletic attendances are usually woeful,

By average and total they were ahead of the Pies last season, I believe.
- Severus, July 2012

#37 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

I think you're right but it is gratifying, for example, to see Wigan v Warrington last season draw a higher attendance than Wigan Athletic v Manchester United. I can think of no rugby union stronghold in this country which would see the rugby club draw a higher attendance than the neighbouring football club's hosting of one of the sporting world's behemoths.

The drawing power of United is so great that they have, I believe, sold out Sydney's Olympic Stadium for a friendly to be played before next season... if only the great Sydney rugby league clubs could garner such attendances.

#38 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Yes they are,and they are playing in the FA premiership,so there must be something wrong if they weren't getting larger crowdsthan WIGAN, more is the pity.What I am saying is Latics will have to have quite a few generations of premiership soccer before they can call themselves the top club in the town and a soccer town at that.Before 1963 Leeds was always referred to as a rugby league city even though Leeds united usually averaged larger attendances than Leeds RL,and Hunslet and Bramley.Since the 60s Leeds is always referred to as a soccer city inspite of the Rhino's SL success's,and stiil getting larger crowds with a poor side.Wigan in my opinion is the most famous RL club and probably in world Rugby
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#39 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

I think you're right but it is gratifying, for example, to see Wigan v Warrington last season draw a higher attendance than Wigan Athletic v Manchester United. I can think of no rugby union stronghold in this country which would see the rugby club draw a higher attendance than the neighbouring football club's hosting of one of the sporting world's behemoths.

The drawing power of United is so great that they have, I believe, sold out Sydney's Olympic Stadium for a friendly to be played before next season... if only the great Sydney rugby league clubs could garner such attendances.

That's all true and I was genuinely pleased by the Wigan-Warrington crowd size.

I did a survey last year and the finding was that every Super League team that 'shared' a city was outdrawn by its nearest professional soccer team.

I genuinely don't understand why fans turn up for friendlies just to see some squad players in a shirt that looks familiar but each to their own.
- Severus, July 2012

#40 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

Those same Chinese people may never have even heard of Sydney.

Or Australia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users