Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

WCC - Expansion Agreed?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Steve Mascord reporting this. Andy Wilson tweeted link

http://m.canberratim...0213-2edhw.html

The link goes through to the mobile site page, cant find on the main site yet!

Edited by Southstander13, 13 February 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

The link goes through to the mobile site page, cant find on the main site yet!

Just delete the m. from the URL!

http://www.canberrat...0213-2edhw.html
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

The question is, which 6 teams?

Top 3? That could exclude champions
Grand Finalists plus in the league would probably be the best bet

But should there be a slot for the Challenge Cup winner?
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#4 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

6 teams is bleeding stupid.....theres gonna be 2 warm up games before the actual WCC game....thats only going to perpetuate the notion that the WCC is just a series of trial games

to make the WCC "more serious" it should be expanded to just 4 teams..the 4 grand final teams...play 2 semi finals,NRL winner v ESL runner up & ESL winner v NRL runner up...then a final for the 2 winners.....

christ its not rocket science !!!

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#5 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

6 teams is bleeding stupid.....theres gonna be 2 warm up games before the actual WCC game....thats only going to perpetuate the notion that the WCC is just a series of trial games

to make the WCC "more serious" it should be expanded to just 4 teams..the 4 grand final teams...play 2 semi finals,NRL winner v ESL runner up & ESL winner v NRL runner up...then a final for the 2 winners.....

christ its not rocket science !!!

Sounds simple but high probability you'll end up with two NRL teams in final which dilutes the concept somewhat.

I'd go for Grand Final winners from each hemisphere; NRL minor premiers + UK Challenge Cup winners; I'd make up the six with wildcard entries for the NZRL (Warriors) and FRL (Dragons).

Would be great to run the event pre season initially in a neutral venue such as Dubai.

#6 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

oh yeah god forbid we actually try and turn the WCC into a competition to find the BEST CLUB IN THE WORLD!!!....sod it lets make it a pre season jolly to dubai.....yeah everyone will take that really seriously....lol

and so what if 2 NRL teams make the final?? and given the record of australian clubs here its highly probable 2 ESL teams would make the final!!!

Edited by roughyedspud, 13 February 2013 - 11:53 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#7 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,829 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

If this is the ridiculous 6-team format that Gary Hetherington came up with, then it'll probably do more damage to the WCC than good.

Can anyone see the benefit of 1v1, 2v2, 3v3?!
Posted Image

#8 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

No official line on the structure so potentially not as simple as 2 "warm up" games before the usual WCC match. Could be grouped, round robin etc.

Until we get the official line on this Im still a little hesitant to believe this will all happen but for me I think if used properly it could be a good promo tool!

#9 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

it won't be the world club challange anymore....it'll become the world club series....NRL clubs 3 - ESL clubs 0....the fact a aussie club would be the world champs at the end of it would be lost amid the general laughter at ESL....

Edited by roughyedspud, 13 February 2013 - 12:01 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#10 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

I also hope it isn't the 1 v 1, 2 v 2, 3 v 3 format. Or indeed 1 v 3, 2 v 2, 3 v 1.

Unfortunately I can't see how it can be anything other than that.

I'd be boring and love to see 4.

Saturday - SL GF winners v NRL GF runners up
Sunday - SL Hubcap winners (if they also won GF, then GF runners up) v NRL GF winners

Friday - final

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#11 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Don't understand the assumption that the Aussies would hammer us. Wire, Leeds, Wigan and maybe Saints and Hull would be able to compete against NRL sides.

#12 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

RL fans arguing about something which hasn't been announced - surprise.

As long as you agree with roughyedspud,the concept is fine,if not,you're bleeding stupid.

#13 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

well it is.......

3v3 & 2v2 are worthless meaningless games....

OLDHAM RLFC

#14 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

You are absolutely right roughyedspud,as always.Everyone else is wrong.Quite why you are not running the game is beyond me.

#15 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

To do a proper world club challenge they'd need to completely reengineer the seasons in both hemispheres - that simply isn't going to happen.

They'd also need to negotiate sponsorship and broadcast arrangements to make it financially viable - that's possible but I don't sense a will to do this from either side.

That leaves us with what we've got: a preseason exhibition game. I don't see any harm in looking for ways to improve this just because, in an ideal world, we'd like it to be more than this.

#16 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

You are absolutely right roughyedspud,as always.Everyone else is wrong.Quite why you are not running the game is beyond me.

Quite. Being able to plan things on the back of a fag packet and argue with strangers on the Internet are rare gifts.

#17 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

id love too....thanks for the support

OLDHAM RLFC

#18 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

You'd be too great a loss to the world of astrophysics,with your astute reasoning and analysis,'well it is'.

#19 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

yeah yeah....6 teams, producing 2 meaningless games is bleeding stupid...

Edited by roughyedspud, 13 February 2013 - 12:54 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#20 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

For me, if we are to go past the World Champions and have a notion that there is more to our game than England, Australia with a bit of New Zealand, any expanded comp should have space for the French Champions, PNG Champs amongst others, even if these are jsut as bit part qualifying matches.

Edited by Mumby Magic, 13 February 2013 - 12:54 PM.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users